04 Mach 1 vs 05 Subaru WRX

ster!nn

Established Member
A not so long story made even shorter-

He got me off the line with his whisteling/spooling turbo and all wheel drive, but I quickly pulled on him launching at 4800 (street tires) and stuffing gears like a pro- 1/8 by about a car length and about 2 1/2 in the 1/4.

The Mach 1 now has a record-
1-0

I was expecting something alot closer but I flew by him like he was dragging an anchor.

Driver mod?
Priceless

The best part was heating up the tires with my Nike Line Lock. :burnout:

scorcher2005

USMC
Established Member
ster!nn said:
A not so long story made even shorter-

He got me off the line with his whisteling/spooling turbo and all wheel drive, but I quickly pulled on him launching at 4800 (street tires) and stuffing gears like a pro- 1/8 by about a car length and about 2 1/2 in the 1/4.

The Mach 1 now has a record-
1-0

I was expecting something alot closer but I flew by him like he was dragging an anchor.

Driver mod?
Priceless

The best part was heating up the tires with my Nike Line Lock. :burnout:

Actually, you should have beat a WRX by much more than 2.5 cars...

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
scorcher2005 said:
Actually, you should have beat a WRX by much more than 2.5 cars...
:lol:

I don't doubt the victory...but 4800 rpms launch on street tires??? Maybe I have a special mach, but that usual equates to a bunch of smoke, and going no where.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
If it is a WRX, you should have slaughtered him. An STI, that sounds like the race you described.

WRX - no turbo
STI - turbo

BCM0018

Established Member
The wrx has a turbo there just 227 HP. STI larger engine and 300 HP. I think the RS is the one thats turboless.

Fnet=ma

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
:lol:

I don't doubt the victory...but 4800 rpms launch on street tires??? Maybe I have a special mach, but that usual equates to a bunch of smoke, and going no where.
+1

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
That does not mean dumping it at 4800rpm. I have launched my car car at about 3800-4000 but slipped the clutch and I barely burn the tires.

TRXboy

Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
maybe im thinking of the older wrx

No, Since it's introduction in 2002 the WRX has had a Turbo Charged flat 4.

From 2002 to 2005 the had a 2.0L 227HP Motor.

In 2006 they bumped the displacment up to 2.5L and power increased to 230.

In 2004 they released the STI witch had the 2.5L from the start and made 300HP.

You are probobly thinking of an older Modle Imprezza RS.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
If it is a WRX, you should have slaughtered him. An STI, that sounds like the race you described.

WRX - no turbo
STI - turbo

dude an sti would walk all over a stock mach 1 easy :)

BCM0018 said:
The wrx has a turbo there just 227 HP. STI larger engine and 300 HP. I think the RS is the one thats turboless.
you are correct!

Last edited:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
not sure what machs run in the 1/4 and their traps but i know a good driver in an sti should be able to run 13 flat or very low 13's at over 100

ster!nn

Established Member
That's the Mach 1's 1st race and I was weary to launch at anything higher because of no traction until about 3rd gear. I heated the tires, lined up and then tried it at 4800 because anything lower and I give it too much throttle before shifting I break loose so I thought I found a happy medium between wheelspin and traction. Maybe not?

I'm up for pointers on traction though- :)

but as far as how much I beat him, *guessing game on the highway- I didn't want to stretch the truth. I'll be as moddest as I can be...I am only 1-0 in the car after all. :rolling:

Edit-
Mach- Flowmaster 40's + Catted H Pipe, K&N Dropin Filter, and Snorkel Removal

WRX- I'm not sure on the specifics except that he has a few boltons. (ricer window billboard) Other than that, I don't know. I see him quite often, I'll ask and then post'em.

I kind of like to stay ignorant to the import scene- they're not interesting enough for my attention and my assumption of WRX's being quick was just here say, now I know- and they're slow. :)

Last edited:

BM1

Established Member
You're better off with stock exhaust over Flowmaster anything. Those are probably taking away power if anything.

Get a good kit on there like Magnaflow or Bassani. It makes a noticeable difference on these cars when combined with a free flowing mid-pipe. I've had all 3 so I'm speaking from experience.

ster!nn

Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
You're better off with stock exhaust over Flowmaster anything. Those are probably taking away power if anything.

Get a good kit on there like Magnaflow or Bassani. It makes a noticeable difference on these cars when combined with a free flowing mid-pipe. I've had all 3 so I'm speaking from experience.

Really? I don't doubt your experience but are there any dyno tests to show this?
Come to think of it, I've never seen claims of HP gains from Flowmaster, on the Mach 1 atleast. The previous owner had the exhaust installed. But the sound makes me.... :pepper:

What does everyone think of SLP?

Last edited:

BM1

Established Member
ster!nn said:
Really? I don't doubt your experience but are there any dyno tests to show this?
Come to think of it, I've never seen claims of HP gains from Flowmaster, on the Mach 1 atleast. The previous owner had the exhaust installed. But the sound makes me.... :pepper:

What does everyone think of SLP?

I hate the sound of SLP, but it's a good flowing setup.

The sound of an O/R X and a Magnaflow cat-back on our cars is very very mean. I highly recommend that setup. It's also one of the best flowing setups there is.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
not sure what machs run in the 1/4 and their traps but i know a good driver in an sti should be able to run 13 flat or very low 13's at over 100

i ran a 13.3 stock in my '05 at bandimere speedway in morrison CO, about 6k elevation.. i know an '05 sti with ram air and cobb ap doing 12.4 in missouri.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
That does not mean dumping it at 4800rpm. I have launched my car car at about 3800-4000 but slipped the clutch and I barely burn the tires.

NO offense, but there is a big difference between a 95 cobra, and a mach 1. Not to mention, you are talking 1k rpms less. Believe me, I know machs. If by 'slipping' you mean feathering, then I can see it, BUT that is still too high for feathering in a mach.....4800 is too high.

Users who are viewing this thread