04 Mach 1 or 04 Cobra??

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
LOL, this should be fun.

$40,000

New 04 Mach 1 or New 04 Cobra?

Tax, title and license. + Mods, including labor. Not a penny over $40,000.

Which one will be the fastest at the 1/4 mile strip?

Tomcat427

Established Member
Also the car needs to stay street legal and meet NHRA rules, figure in the cost of a rollcage. I don't want a car that goes fast and I can't take it to a track.

I will talk to my Ford dealer tomorrow and see what kind of out the door price I can get now. Just bottom line after rebates + ttl.

I am not real familiar with the costs of mods, parts or labor, on the Cobra so please be as specific as you can.

Also, it is not a daily driver some time down while modding the car would not be an issue.

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
cobra is cheaper to mod, swap in a solid rear, get 500 cash back possibly to go to a good cat-back, 150 for an used off road mid pipe, pulley/tune combo 550-ish, 100 bucks for used cai

351c.i.d

Flame me will ya?
Established Member
Yeah Tomcat...go for the cobra if big power is what you want. From I've read the past year or so, that damn car is so easily modded for big power.
Kinda makes you wish you went that route in the first place.

Tomcat427

Established Member
I figure both cars have been out long enough that people know what will and what will not work to make a good combination. I will get some bottom line - out the door - numbers today to see what the starting point for both cars would be.

I figure both cars are going to need:

1. Shifter $170
2. Rollcage $1500 Chrome Molly
3. 5-point harness $?
4. Rearend $1200 for the Mach 1 ?? for the Cobra
5. Tires-Nitto's? $350
6. ??????????

Just the above mods are over $3000.

Get the idea. I am not saying with an unlimited budget or which car is easier, but with spending only $40,000.

Tomcat427

Established Member
99cobrablack, Thanks for your responses:beer:

351c.i.d, I know they can make big power. But on what budget can you make big power, keep it legal to run at a track, and keep it running.

ZincDude, At this point, NO. I think the Mach 1 will beat the Cobra with a $40,000 budget. Once I have starting $ for each car I will post my build up for the Mach 1. The thread is still young and I am hoping that some Cobra owners that have real life experiences will chime in. So far only one.

Tomcat427

Established Member
6 hours and no responses?

Come on guys, what can you do with a new Cobra and stay under $40,000 including purchase price. I haven't heard back from anybody yet with an out the door price. Hopefully I can get a price by the end of the day.

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
Well, People were getting mach's out the door for 24000! 16000 on mods? I think I'd make a bitchin mach with that. Don't know what a cobra can go for.

Mach:(bias):) CHeaper, but a lot of grond to make up on the cobra.

Cobra: has an insane start point, but don't count on much left over $$$.

Also depends on how original you'd keep the mach(shaker-non) different charger/ power options. Can't got wrong either way!

Oh yeah, probably count on forged pistons in mach for max.

JerseySVT

Established Member
You can get a '04 Cobra out the door for no more then $30,000 max right now with the $3,000 rebate going on until Sept. 30th. I've heard some people getting them for $28,000.

That leaves $12,000 for mods. You can make 550+ rwhp with a Kenne Bell blowzilla, full exhaust, chip, and intake. That'll cost about $6,500 leaving you with another $5,500 for roll cage, and traction mods.

Last edited:

Tomcat427

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I need to check around some more. The best deal I could get out the door today on a Cobra (04 Redfire with chrome wheels) was $33,1xx. I did not get any firm offers on a Mach 1. They seem to have vanished in the Dallas area.

JerseySVT, Thanks for the response. Sounds like that would be a solid 10 sec car.

kissmyAZZure, $16,000 on mods would go a long way. Built shortblock, poweradder and the other items listed above.

See this could be fun.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I checked the local dealership and the 04 cobras were listing around $35-$37k. I'm not sure about any rebates, I think they vary on individual dealership's participation.

The local dealer was offering a $3K rebate on the 04 cobra...I just called. This put the car around $32K-$33K, leaving $7K, including labor, for mods.

I bought an 03 mach. It listed for $28K and I received a $4K rebate which brought the car to $24K. My sig has all the mods listed. I have spent a little over $16K in mods, however some were cosmetic. The biggest expense was the Vortech with the air to water after cooler, that cost me almost $10K. The best mod was the predator.

I am having my car dynoed this week, I'm hoping for 500 at the rears, I think I'll be close.

Knock on wood, I have not had issues with the rods or pistons. I have reserved myself to the fact that 500rwhp is about the max the mach is gonna handle unless the internals are changed.

I was told I could take out the mach motor and drop in a cobra long block with all the forged internals. The new block costs $4K and can be installed in a few days. However, if I were to rebuild the aluminum block, with forged pistons and rods, the car would be in the shop for 6 weeks ( the labor cost would kill me). I was also told balancing the new rods and pistons would be an issue even though some manufactures claim they balance the rods.

In one hand I wish I bought the cobra because of the internals but in the other I do love my mach. The shaker scoop looks so cool on the car even know it does nothing on mine. I love em both!

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
McGilvray Ford in Athens, TX is desparately trying to get rid of their new '03 and '04 cobras. The guy I've dealt with in the past, Robert Luther, was trying hard to get me into a cobra at dealers cost. At the time, he said he'd let me have an '03 yellow coupe, new, for $28,500. Last time I talked to him was a month ago. They might still have some left. I know they had some 10th anniv. verts on the lot.

Tomcat427

Established Member
sharkbite1979, $28,500 would be awesome. The dealer that did give me an OTD price was $31,000 +ttl.

Mr. Mach-ete, Any pictures of your car posted? Looks like you have been having a lot of fun. Check this out:

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

MMR 4.6 Street Mod 900
*New Cast Iron 2003-04 Cobra Block (Romeo)
*New 4340 Forged 3.543 stroke Cobra Crankshaft w/micro polished journals at no extra charge

*New 4340 5.933 Manley H-beam Rods ( These US made rods are shotpeened, magnafluxed and weight matched to bring you the finest H-beam rod available for your 4.6

*New Forged Manley pistons 3.552 Bore size (High or low compression)

*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to your application, nitrous, blower, turbo or N/A)

*Speed Pro/Federal Mogul Rod and Main bearings

*Complete Pro Assembly and Balancing for the smoothest, highest revving shortblock available.
400900 $2599

Last edited:

Tomcat427

Established Member
Originally posted by steeda1982
the snake.

Keeping it simple

:nono:

Just curious, how much have you invested in your car?

Btw, nice list of mods.:thumbsup:

DCHall

Established Member
I had a 04 Mach 1 and just traded it in for a 04 Cobra. The Cobra definately has a different feel to it especially after driving the Mach 1 for the past seven months. I would recommend starting out with a Cobra. I loved the Mach but it was going to cost me more money to bring it even with the Cobra

Tomcat427

Established Member
Looks like it is a styling preference decision in the end. I like the styling of the Mach 1 over the Cobra so I will leave the Cobra's to you guys.:beer:

dru440

Established Member
at my track in ohio with 1500 ft elevation the best mach 1 i saw stock went 13.60 @ 103 my cobra went 12.8 @ 110 bone stock, plus it already has the block that can handle a ton of hp and is low compression, your shaker hood scoop really isnt very functional, it is a couple hundred pounds lighter, but go ahead and remove the solid rear and put some different seats in the cobra and you will be even in weight, i bought my cobra for 29500 A plan the mach 1 would have been 24000 A plan, however add forged internals, blower, 6spd that handles 600 ft lbs of torque, and its worth it to buy the cobra. Looks arent that big of a deal to a normal person they cant tell the difference from a mach to a cobra to a gt to a v6, THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS A MACH IS TO A COBRA WHAT A V6 IS TO A GT.

Users who are viewing this thread