04 F350 Diesel Leaking Coolant out Exchan. Res.

xxxboost

Established Member
My friend has this 04 f350 diesel and it leaks fluid out the exchanger res. overflow when it is filled to proper level like it is overheating. When it is low it doesn't leak. Took it to one dealer and they said it was fine. Is there any circulator pumps in them that could be bad or could there be an air pocket that is causing this. Any help would be appriciated. :shrug:

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
When you say leak, I think of a drip or a constant spring of coolant flow leaking onto the ground. Is that what is going on?

Or, is it puking? As in briefly sputtering coolant past the cap up onto the hood and everywhere else? The puking is related with the EGR issue on the 6.0s.

I know someone who was told, or atleast took it upon himself to replace the overflow cap with a brand new one as a first step to see if the puking problem persisted afterwards.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
+1. Also Ford is now issuing labels that lower the coolant "fill" line on the overflow res/over flow tank.

My truck still pukes every now and again to this day, just like it did when I first got it. I believe I will try out one of those EGR delete pipes to see if this will make any difference past the turn off function with my SCT.

xxxboost

Established Member
I talked to him again and found more details. It does puke, to the point he has no heat or very little, usually taking 1 gal or more to refill. He has replaced the cap and replaced 3 egr valves in it already and no dealers have found a fix. Any additional info would be great.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I guess the next step would be to consider the heads/gaskets. I think your best option would be to have a compression test done to make sure the gaskets are still ok.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
That sucks, he has no heat obviously the coolant level isn't high enough to pump through the heater core.

It's puking that much though? That many quarts of coolant over the engine must suck. I'd imagine he'd notice a ton of white smoke if he lost that much coolant through the combustion process.

I dont know a whole lot about the issue with the puking, but if you have had parts replaced and it is still doing it bad, then I know I've heard/read that a plugged oil cooler can result in the EGR issue or something along those lines. You should have him ask about the oil cooler. I guess he's still got a warranty?

Last edited:

xxxboost

Established Member
yeah he still has warranty, but sometimes dealers have no clue and it just becomes a big hassle. Just trying to give him some solutions or point him in the right direction. I don't know much about the 6.0 either other than it had a lot of problems. He is taking it to a different dealer soon who works on a lot of construction trucks in the area. Hopefully they can figure it out. Thanks for all the input. I'll post again when he finds out.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
That's cool, he'll get her fixed. Most of the 6.0s out there don't seem to have any real big issues, but the early ones seem to have the most problems that you hear about, it's just the luck of the draw I guess.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
why is he replacing egr valves? if they are constantly getting plugged up I would put money on it that his egr cooler is leaking into the intake. if thats the case the egr and oil coolers need replaced, after that you can put a guage inline in one of the hoses to the degass bottle and go drive the hell out of the truck and see how high the coolant pressures get, shouldn't get to 16 psi. if they do its time for headgaskets. good luck

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
why is he replacing egr valves? if they are constantly getting plugged up I would put money on it that his egr cooler is leaking into the intake. if thats the case the egr and oil coolers need replaced, after that you can put a guage inline in one of the hoses to the degass bottle and go drive the hell out of the truck and see how high the coolant pressures get, shouldn't get to 16 psi. if they do its time for headgaskets. good luck

I have never heard of anyone doing that. Is that kind of a DIY test for bad gaskets? Seems pretty niffty, I would like more info if you don't mind.:beer:

To the OP, hope he gets everything settled and gets the truck fixed. I hate poking around with dealerships that do not want to do anything for you, I feel your pain lol.

JWC

Established Member
I had a leak that 3 dealers couldn't find on my 03 6.0 until the warranty ran out that is. It was a small hose on the back of the engine near the firewll that was the problem. Get your friend to check it out. I would run through a gallon of colant every few days. You couldn't see it drip, you could smell it, and of course it didn't go out the tail pipe like the EGR issue. Good luck to your friend.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
thats not a diy test, it's a tsb that ford came out with for techs to check for blown headgaskers, and I have seen alot of egr cooler failures cause repeated egr valve failures when the cooler only has a small leak internally

Users who are viewing this thread