04 competition orange cobra oil help

04compking

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole mustang thing. I have had diesels all my life and always wanted a cobra so now I have a 04 comp orange with 12,000 miles. I love it! Problem is I am a maintenance freak and want the best for my car. Not sure what oil it has now or when it was last changed but I was wanting to know what type oil a oil and why. I know nothing about oil so thanks for the help. The car is in ky, so will be stored in winter and rainy days and will only get about 5 to 7,000 miles a year. I do run the car fairly hard at times and it has a 2.76 pulley,bbk cai, 100mm idler, magnaflow cat back, off road h pipe,and tuned for 93. It made 454/512. Thanks with the help. Great community

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Any high quality FULL synthetic oil will work well. Personally, I use Royal Purple HPS in my 03 Cobra. Motor, trans., and rear diff all have it. I have also heard really good things about Amzoil products.

04compking

Established Member
Any high quality FULL synthetic oil will work well. Personally, I use Royal Purple HPS in my 03 Cobra. Motor, trans., and rear diff all have it. I have also heard really good things about Amzoil products.

Thanks man. I was wondering what weight oil to use also. Any idea on that?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
For the Royal Purple, I just use what Ford recommends. I have never had any issues. Make sure you invest in a good quality oil filter too. That can make the world of difference.

If you scroll through some of the past threads here in the Greasy Spoon, I am sure you will find some recommendations from the real experts. Just takes a little digging sometimes.

04compking

Established Member
For the Royal Purple, I just use what Ford recommends. I have never had any issues. Make sure you invest in a good quality oil filter too. That can make the world of difference.

If you scroll through some of the past threads here in the Greasy Spoon, I am sure you will find some recommendations from the real experts. Just takes a little digging sometimes.

Thanks silver03svt.

Users who are viewing this thread