04 Cobra vs Turbo civic hatchback

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
Sorry for the length, but here goes...

I was out for a drive last night when up ahead of me i see a group of cars with one set of tail lights going faster than the others. I was curious to see what it was so i sped up. I punched it to catch up to the car so we could have alittle room to "drive" before we got to a part of the road where certain people will sit and wait to see who they can pull over and tell not to "drive". I catch up to him and i gently pass him around 70 so he could see what came up on him so fast. It was a civic hatchback, but i couldn't tell what year. It was maybe early to mid 90's

I hear him downshift to catch up and i heard the blow-off valve. He paced me for a minute around 70 as i rolled down the window and looked at him and smiled. I motioned him to hit it and he did. He was doing ok....til i stuck it into 3rd and put my foot in it. I've had my new power mods for about 3 weeks now and i still get a big smile on my face when i hit it. With the full Bassani exhaust, chip, 2.8 and Steeda cai, it sounded like all hell breaking loose next to the concrete dividers. I hit 4th and he was still fading fast. I let off around 120 and i had maybe 7-8 car lengths on him. I couldn't really tell. He caught back up and DIDN'T do a fly-by :eek:. He just looked at me and said "jesus that thing is fast!".

We agreed to pull over and talk for a bit. He said that his car had a D16 with a turbo. It was a single cam four-banger. He said it was making about 220 at the flywheel. His car was tastfully modded. The guage cluster lighting looked like the cluster in my car. It had wheels that looked like the Euro Focus wheels, lowered and exhaust. It wasn't overdone which made it look good, i thought. His name was James and he was a pretty cool guy. He thought i had about 300hp. I told him that was the older cobras. The 03-04's came with a supercharger rated around 390hp at the flywheel but mine makes a good bit more than that now :D . My car dynoed 453hp and 467tq at the wheels.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Good kill on the lil turbo. I like my b exhaust also, My xor isn't real loud till you hammer it, then it scares a few so they say. :shrug:

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Nice to find a "Sport Compact" driver that's cool and has both taste and couth. That's the difference between them and the Ricers. It ain't the cars, it's the peeps.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
It was probably a B-16 or 1.6L SOHC...good job, there's few around here that are pushing upper 300's and are tough for a modded Cobra to beat b/c they dont weigh very much...Charlie's right though, most of the "sport compact" driver's wouldve done a flyby and acted like an idiot...good kill

96SVT_2_NV

Established Member
i remember reading once this guy dumped about $12,000 in his civic coupe, it was a D16 1.6L SOHC with a turbo, fastest time he ran was a 14.1 and he was pleased with that :lol1:

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
96SVT_2_NV said:
i remember reading once this guy dumped about $12,000 in his civic coupe, it was a D16 1.6L SOHC with a turbo, fastest time he ran was a 14.1 and he was pleased with that :lol1:

Ive heard of similar stories....

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
It was probably a B-16 or 1.6L SOHC...good job, there's few around here that are pushing upper 300's and are tough for a modded Cobra to beat b/c they dont weigh very much...Charlie's right though, most of the "sport compact" driver's wouldve done a flyby and acted like an idiot...good kill

I'm sure i have seen more driving around but when the driver is just driving it's hard to tell how fast it is. I have seen a few honda's and acura's running low 13's and mid-to-high 12's at bradenton, the dragstrip about 45 minutes from where i live. I did see this one green honda hatchback at bradenton, that had a traction problem when the turbo spooled up off the line, run a 12.5x around 118mph or something :eek: . All i could do was look and think if that guy could hook he would be smokin'. I know there are really fast four cylinders out there and around here, but i don't see or come across them very often.

00GT

Banned
03Chris said:
He said that his car had a D16 with a turbo. It was a single cam four-banger. He said it was making about 220 at the flywheel.

That's all the power he was making? That seems low for his mods. Good kill!

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
00GT said:
That's all the power he was making? That seems low for his mods. Good kill!

Yeah it sounds alittle low but the guy said that he didn't do alot to it other than the turbo and the front mount. The turbo wasn't pushing that much boost. He said he didn't go to crazy with it because he already had alot of miles on it when he put the turbo on it. He wanted to put alittle something into it and have some fun. He said that if it does let go on him while he is driving it, the motor wouldn't be that expensive for him to replace with something that just ran ok not something brand new. He told me though, like most of us, if it does let go he might save up some coin and do a full rebuild and a bigger turbo to really go nuts. If he does, i think i will have my hands full.

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
96SVT_2_NV said:

Just because a car runs a low 1/4 mile, doesn't mean that it is slow.
Look at some supra's, they will spank cobras in the top end, but still lose in a short race.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
i think theres a difference here, he said the kid was cool, tastefully did the car, and that the kid just wanted something fun to drive... thats way different than the mentality some have that their car is a race car when it runs 14s...

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
00GT said:
Then why are all these ricers trying to turn an economy car into a race car? :bash: the ricers!
you should be careful how you talk, he had 2/3 the power of you, and probably less than 2/3 the weight... its not uncommon for those to weigh in around 2000, which when you have a <300hp (i know your torque is at 300 though) car weighing in at 3400 and a 200hp car weighing around 2000... it could get ugly. Id still prefer the mustang, im just saying, no reason to be so judgemental.

F23A4

Established Member
c0dy said:
you should be careful how you talk, he had 2/3 the power of you, and probably less than 2/3 the weight... its not uncommon for those to weigh in around 2000, which when you have a <300hp (i know your torque is at 300 though) car weighing in at 3400 and a 200hp car weighing around 2000... it could get ugly. Id still prefer the mustang, im just saying, no reason to be so judgemental.

Well stated. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread