04 cobra stalling when driving, gauges all max out when car dies

blknredsnake

Established Member
I have a built 04 cobra i bought on here and i rebuilt the motor, 2.8kb, fuel system did a bunch of work to get it running again. The car has had alot of systems put in it and either left in the car or taken out such as 2step, nitrous, aftermarket gauges so the wiring has been molested to an extent. While driving today i did a short pull and then went to do another and the gauges on the dash all went 100% and the car died and tried to restart while i was still in gear. It did this a few times and died completely before getting it home. Its starts up after but doesnt take long before it does it again. Besides having a few systems wired into the car it has an ECM out of another cobra and the PATS is disabled but i have a theft light up still. Im just trying to find out where to start tracing out wires and what would cause the gauges to simultaneously go 100% while the car dies.

blknredsnake

Established Member
Sounds like your Alternator took a dump, followed immediately by your battery.

Alternator and battery are brand new and I had lights still so I have current available and the gauges went 100% not dead so whatever it might be seems to be a ground issue somewhere, the car has alot done to it so I'm trying to figure out what would be the best places to start looking, it has the following aftermarket items.

Gauges:
Oil psi
Fuel psi
Boost
Air Fuel ratio
Raptor shift light

Systems Wired up but not using
Nitrous
2 step
Jms sparkmax

Also had an ECM from another cobra, any input will help and anything I could cross off the list or put as priority to check would also help greatly.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
When I trouble shoot stuff like this, I start at the last thing I put in and work my way back. If the car was fine before you started adding things to the system, that is your end point. Electrical gremlins are a pain in the ass to track down.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Sounds like a ground issue...there are a couple around battery fender area..

best advise is download the factory manual..and the manual on cell..

The factory will show ground locatuons and on cell will show better on where splices are

both links on this site

Users who are viewing this thread