04 cobra head removal

viperstang

Established Member
I have a 04 cobra that so far seems to have Head Tick. i tried to replace the last adjusters. I had no luck there so now it seems i have to remove the head. First off the tick is on the passenger side head. I am planing to swap the head out but i am wondering if i need to replace the head bolts or can i reuse them in my swap?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you pretty much 100% sure thats what it is? It would suck to take all that time and find out thats not the problem.

viperstang

Established Member
not 100% sure but at this point in time i dont know where else to look. it started out small but now its louder. i did a compression test and a leak down test and it passed. so i am lost as what to do. changing the head is the only thing i can think of.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
You absolutely MUST MUST MUST! replace the head bolts!!! If you try to re-use them the seal will fail. They should really be included with the head gasket. The only exception is if you have ARP studs.

viperstang

Established Member
the tick is driving me crazy. its bad no doubt about it. the leak down came back good so the valve guide was the only thing i could think of. the funny thing is that the tick is on the passangers side. I dont know if anyone has had that happen? funny thing is the car still pulls hard.

bubblehead93

Established Member
not saying that it can't be excessive valve guide wear, BUT the passenger side is not the side where it should occur - it is normally on the driver's side hence why the head cooling mod installs on the back of the drivers side head. sure you don't have an exhaust leak or a collapsed lash adjuster. how long have you had the cobra? any recent work to the motor? did the tick just recently start?

viperstang

Established Member
i have had the car since 2006. the motor has not had any recently done work. I jacked up the car and ran it while useing a stethoscope. there was no exhaust leaks. I removed the valve covers and replaced all the lash adjusters. the sound is still there. any other things i should be looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread