04 cobra alternator charging

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I have barely driven my 04 cobra in the last year. I have been trying to keep the battery charged, but I now think there might be an issue with the alternator.

Even when i charge up the battery, I can see the gauge lights kind of fluctuate when i am at idle. I am getting ~13.5 volts at the battery when running.

When driving and the engine revs up, the alt light now comes on.

I was wondering if a slipping serp belt could be causing this? I could just replace the belt to see if that helps but was hoping someone else may have seen this issue before.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
take the ALT off and get it tested if you are in doubt. Its known that they often go bad.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Wow..... thats a great idea!!

just kidding... I will definately do that, by I travel a ton and have short windows of time on the weekends to play around with my mustangs. So just looking for some info from this community that might give me some real world perspective.

And, i don't have a lot of confidence in the local auto parts guys ability to diagnose a bad alternator. Last couple of tries, they could not find the right electrical connector. One guy tried to force the wrong connector to 'fit'.

One of my Saturn Alternators, they told me was "bad", and its still running fine and charging 40k miles later.

I think they are prone to "when in doubt" call it bad.

And, I did not know the cobra alternators were known to go bad.

Thanks

b_dike

Established Member
It could test fine, and still fail the very next day. It sounds like your alt is on it's way out. Same symptoms as mine before it failed. Usually they go with no warning what so ever.

My advise would be to go ahead and get another alt now, but don't buy the autoparts store brands. I bought a reman'd one off of ebay... but there are a few good choices around, you'll just have to pay more.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Thanks for the info. As alternators go, this one is a little pricey at $200. I might even check to see if there are any local places that do a rebuilding service.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I'm sick of my car for the very same reason.... I don't have a lot of spare time these days and I'm sick of using the little I have working on the cobra who continues to break!

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. I have put 91k miles on my cobra and the only issues I have had have been a leaking rear diff, an exploding TO bearing, and now this alternator issue.

not too bad for a performance car.

My issue is that I do most of the work to maintain all the cars my family drives. My two cars are a '67 mustang vert and the 04 cobra. Our other three cars are saturns. By the time I keep them all running, I don't have a lot of time left over.

.....At least my mustangs are fun to drive, when I get the chance to.

on to alternator shopping......

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
My batt light was flickering when idling at stoplights (43k miles), so I ponied up for a Motorcraft from Ford for like $180-ish.

Users who are viewing this thread