04 cobra 1st time at track- ouch

twistedstang

Established Member
Took my stock cobra vert to the track yesterday. Had a hard time finding the right rpm to launch- 3000 I would bog, higher I would spin. Ive got 315 nitto dr's. I did have a hard time getting a good burnout with the stick and no roll control. My main concern was I was hitting the limiter in third going through the traps- just before the traps- I tried short shifting to get into fourth but ran a 14.0:dw: . anyways heres my info. Im hoping this is a driver mod problem....

best pass.

2.12 -60ft
8.76 -1/8
80.7 - 1/8 mph
13.47- 1/4
106 1/4 mph

bouncing off the limiter in 3rd :shrug:

stock car with dr's, subs, and cold air kit

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Took my stock cobra vert to the track yesterday. Had a hard time finding the right rpm to launch- 3000 I would bog, higher I would spin. Ive got 315 nitto dr's. I did have a hard time getting a good burnout with the stick and no roll control. My main concern was I was hitting the limiter in third going through the traps- just before the traps- I tried short shifting to get into fourth but ran a 14.0:dw: . anyways heres my info. Im hoping this is a driver mod problem....

best pass.

2.12 -60ft
8.76 -1/8
80.7 - 1/8 mph
13.47- 1/4
106 1/4 mph

bouncing off the limiter in 3rd :shrug:

stock car with dr's, subs, and cold air kit

Did you just say that you were in 3rd going through? No need to rev past 6000rpm in the car with what is on it. You should definitely go through in 4th and work on the launch. Even with Nittos you should be cutting better 60's. I have gone 2.01 on regular radials, which can be better with a little practice. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged. It takes time to get used to bringing these cars out, some longer than others. The trap speed should be 110+ in the car as long as you cool the car off and shift it well. Keep practicing and watch the E.T.'s fall.

siLversLeigh

Established Member
don't feel bad...
I suck at launching as well lol

interested in going to lapeer or milan within the next couple weeks?
shoot me a pm

Digital

Established Member
You should be able to cut a 1.8 if you lay into the car pretty hard. Like the 2nd poster said you can easily run a 110 et in 4th. Just keep at it.

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
u should be doing alittle better u just need to get used to the car. I went today to the track and cut a 1.96, 60ft on street tires and was trapping 110 in 4th gear mods in my sig.

ScubaTermi

Established Member
Its hard, but it seems like your 1/8 mph should be a little higher, my best 60' was 2.35 but came through at 86.95mph. Good luck

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
I wouldn't be hitting the limiter..could take out the fuel rail pressure sensor over time. Cool the car down..its never going to run fast if you don't cool it. These cobras run best with plenty of cool down..1 hour is ok. I prefer an hour but I run fans off a generator to even better cool the motor.

kwlscott

Established Member
try launches starting with 2500rpm's and really slip the clutch. as you get a feel for it move up in the rpm band till you get around 4000. the clutch will smoke, smell and hate your guts but your 60' times will really improve. imo this method works very well, i usually cut low 1.7 60' times with 275 nitto 555r's. hang in there either way, it just takes practice-and the willingness to sacrifice a clutch or two.

kwlscott

Established Member
i didn't see your tire pressure? i usually try to run between 17-19#'s and max the front tires out to take the rolling resistance down.

twistedstang

Established Member
I was running about 22 lbs in the rear. Thanks for the tips. Im gonna give it another go in the spring- practicing my burnout a little better, dropping my pressure, and slipping the clutch. Definately getting a shifter too. the stocker was killing me.

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
In due time with good amounts of practice you will be launching that sucker hard and hitting some great times. Don't worry about it man!

Users who are viewing this thread