04 BMW 5 vs. 06 BMW 3 vs. 06 C-class Merk

cobra777

Autographx
Established Member
Hey guys. I'm looking for a new daily driver and wanted to get some opinions from all you experts out there. These 3 cars are all roughly the same money, and I'm having trouble deciding which one I want. Reliability, is important to me as is performance. I plan on keeping the car for about two years putting about 50k miles on it. I'm on the road quite a bit for work so comfort is important as well. So if you were me which would you buy?

04 BMW 5 series
06 BMW 325
06 C-Class Merk

:??:

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I wouldn't buy any of them if performance and reliability are important to you. What's your budget?

I'd choose the 5-series if I had to pick between those.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
you dont narrow it down as the 5 series has everything from a 525i to the m5. the 3 series has everything from the 328i to the m3. the merc has everything from the c280 to the batshit nuts c55 amg.

thats a VERY big window of what your asking. i say get an 08+ camary and enjoy 260hp of grandma sleeper mobile in a stupid reliable package. throw on a TRD blower, some springs and struts and a nice wheel and tire combo and you could stand out from the rest. Or, just slap the blower on and watch a 14 sec 4 door turn into a rocket.

another suggestion would be a chevy cruise with the turbo motor and manual with all the bells and whistles. they seem to be very reliable cars and the turbo motor can be tuned with hp tuners to go nuts. also a great 10y/100k warranty is great to add to it all even when something does go wrong.

cobra777

Autographx
Established Member
you dont narrow it down as the 5 series has everything from a 525i to the m5. the 3 series has everything from the 328i to the m3. the merc has everything from the c280 to the batshit nuts c55 amg.

thats a VERY big window of what your asking. i say get an 08+ camary and enjoy 260hp of grandma sleeper mobile in a stupid reliable package. throw on a TRD blower, some springs and struts and a nice wheel and tire combo and you could stand out from the rest. Or, just slap the blower on and watch a 14 sec 4 door turn into a rocket.

another suggestion would be a chevy cruise with the turbo motor and manual with all the bells and whistles. they seem to be very reliable cars and the turbo motor can be tuned with hp tuners to go nuts. also a great 10y/100k warranty is great to add to it all even when something does go wrong.

good point. The budget is $12k. I've been looking at the lower end models. the c240, 325, 525 ect. I do want something with a little prestige to it, I considered the Camry, it's just too dull. Any thing else i should consider?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
If you want reliabilty and performance, most likely you will get neither from those 3 (save for the //M cars and AMG).
With that said, the 5 series will be the more comfortable ride, Merc will be the next in line with the 3 series coming in last (still, its not a bad thing). I will say thought the 3 series will easily be the funner car to drive over the other 2.

IMO the Mercedes are more for a car to ride in, the BMW are to be driven. I test drove both makers before I came to my conclusion. Would recommend you to do the same.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
Yeah, they will all be slow. I have a 2010 Lexus ES350. Obviously it's a little different, but very similar to the V6 Camry mentioned above. It's very peppy, comfortable, and easy to drive. I'd drive it before you make a decision. Base euro cars always sound better in theory. Ask me... I've been there.

Also... here's what happened to the previous one. It did an excellent job of keeping me out of the hospital. Camrys are great cars. Leaps and bounds above the <2005, IMO.
7448288572_67e0885da2_z.jpg

Last edited:

Sn95Snake

Established Member
If reliability was my main concern a european car would definately be the last thing on my list. Plus none of those seem like they would be that fun to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread