04/05 F150s, reliable?

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
SilverELEX said:
Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any reliablilty issues with these trucks. How are the 4.6/5.4 motors and how is the build qauality/durability? Any info is appreciated.

MOVED!:wf: :bash: :wf:

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
The only thing I don't like is the U-joint design on the drive shaft in 04.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
'05 S/C Roush. The only issue I've had has been the crappy Goodyears that came with it.

22K miles of sheer boost. I love it. :D

mystic04

Established Member
not to hi jack this thread but i have a question to ask. i just got a f150 2004 XLT package it had the tbs done for the brake rotors but they seem to dust a lot . by a lot i mean i cleand the wheels on thursday and by saturday they looked like they were never done.If Ford replaced the rotors once and thye go would thye replace them again under the same tbs. i kinda doubt it myself but no harm in asking.What do you guy's think??

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
mystic04 said:
not to hi jack this thread but i have a question to ask. i just got a f150 2004 XLT package it had the tbs done for the brake rotors but they seem to dust a lot . by a lot i mean i cleand the wheels on thursday and by saturday they looked like they were never done.If Ford replaced the rotors once and thye go would thye replace them again under the same tbs. i kinda doubt it myself but no harm in asking.What do you guy's think??

it's the factory OEM pads. they are known to dust a whole lot.

CWCobra

Established Member
'04 SCREW Lariat owner here...60,000 miles. Truck has been fairly reliable, except for the time it caught on fire. Coil pack shorted out, caught the injector and fuel rail on fire.

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
05 FX4 Extended Cab, 5.4 of course, no problems except two window switches and two light bulbs that had to be replaced, both covered under warranty with no out of pocket expenses to me.

To touch on the whole underpowered issue, when you floor it on the highway, it moves out very, VERY WELL. I think the whole problem is the shift points. A programmer, adjusting shift points, will make a huge difference I'm sure. Haven't done it to mine yet, but I will.

Oh, and the captains chairs, leather, with flow-through center console is the BEST interior ever made for a truck hands down!:rockon:

2814v

Established Member
Looking into these as well. From what i have gathered so far:

- Don't bother with the 4.6, get the 5.4.
- 04's were the first model year and had problems. Stick with 05+.
- Treynor Perf is the name I keep seeing come up in regards to performance.
- King Ranch interior is really comfy but you will need to buy a cowboy hat.
- Harley edition looks pretty nice too

I have a 06 4x4 KR and do not own a cowboy hat. But I do have a pair of cowboy boots somewhere in the depths of my walkin closet.:banana::pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread