04/05 F150s, reliable?

SilverELEX

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any reliablilty issues with these trucks. How are the 4.6/5.4 motors and how is the build qauality/durability? Any info is appreciated.

bglf83

Established Member
SilverELEX said:
Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any reliablilty issues with these trucks. How are the 4.6/5.4 motors and how is the build qauality/durability? Any info is appreciated.

well i have an 03 and it has done me well. i would assume the 04 and up would be just as good

Ben 98

Established Member
I have a friend with one of the first 04's and he has had alot of little things go wrong at first, but now he has over 70,000 miles on it.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
We have an 04 4x4, std. cab/5.4/auto.

About 12k miles on it.

Front brake rotors were crap, Ford did a TSB for different ones, they were crap too. I just put Powerslot Cryo's with Hawk LTS pads all around and everything is great.

Basically the rotors were soft and eating themselves alive, or the pads were too hard/crappy and I didn't catch it fast enough.

Otherwise, the truck has been mechanically trouble free.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
1500HD or 2500HD is cheap, leveling kit and 285's makes them look good and they get decent mileage with a gas 6.0
f29a501a.jpg

I guess I just hate any 1/2 ton when you can just buy a 3/4 :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have an 05 F150 and it has 14K on it. Not a problem. I highly recommend them. Prior to that I had an 04 F150 Supercrew and not problems there either.

SilverELEX

Established Member
boostaholic said:
1500HD or 2500HD is cheap, leveling kit and 285's makes them look good and they get decent mileage with a gas 6.0
f29a501a.jpg

I guess I just hate any 1/2 ton when you can just buy a 3/4 :shrug:

Yea you do have a nice looking truck, however i wouldnt want to mod mine in any way. I already have one vehicle i sink way too much money into:)

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
Stock 5.4 f150 would be an awesome dd, interiors are the best I have seen from ford and they drive quite well. Edge makes an evolution programmer for them that makes a night and day difference, probably the greatest improvement I have ever seen from a gas motor programmer.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
My friend got in a wreck with his 02 Chevy 1500, so he has a rented 06 F150 (4.6) for the moment. A 99 astro van (v6 with 200k miles) beat it in a race...

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I have a 2004 F-150 Fx4 with the 5.4. It was a daily driver/work truck. Tranny blew up, then the motor went, and now after coming back from ford the computer is all screwed up and goes into limp mode above anything over 50mph. Took it to ford and then said everything was ok!!! Still has not been fixed. By the way there is probably only 50K miles on the truck. Sooooo, went out got a 05 250 PSD and solved that problem. I agree, why get the 1/2 when you can get a 3/4 for around the same price. More reliable, more power, greater towing/hauling. But the 150 did have a great interior and when the truck ran right, was a great truck other than being underpowered, even with the 5.4. So take it for what you will.....Also this was the first 04 150 in my tri-state area. Its around three years old.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
I have a 06 supercrew and love it. I drive a 07 dodge with a small v8 for work and it blows. The interior on the dodge's are too plain. Sometimes its not all about power.

71stang99

Established Member
we have an 04 FX4 model loaded to the gills (5.4) and its been an outstanding truck. Just over 30k on the ticker and its been fine. only mod has been a body leveler and an airaid intake system which helped but the truck does feel under powered (towing a large travel trailer) even though its within the tow limits. Towing jet skiis or two atvs + dirt bike on a utility trailer and its not even noticed. The truck is well built and the interior is fairly plush with the captains seat etc. I might mod it more with a tune or other bolt ons. troyer performance has a quite a bit of data on this truck with mods. also check out the f150 forums for a ton of data.

Last edited:

SVT_Gixxer1000

Crazy Canadian
Established Member
I had a 05 F-150 Supercrew King Ranch 5.4 and loved it. I had a CAI and Programmer on it. I' am a very fast driver and I have never had a problem with them really, other than little shit. I think if you drive the hell out of them they last longer, IMO. I go to custom options in the programmer and set all my shift points higher, my transmission went in to OD at 5200 rpm, but I' am a hard accelerator.

- Aj -

Established Member
Looking into these as well. From what i have gathered so far:

- Don't bother with the 4.6, get the 5.4.
- 04's were the first model year and had problems. Stick with 05+.
- Treynor Perf is the name I keep seeing come up in regards to performance.
- King Ranch interior is really comfy but you will need to buy a cowboy hat.
- Harley edition looks pretty nice too

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
boostaholic said:
They aren't too bad, just very underpowered even with the 5.4.

If 15.6 in the quarter is underpowered for a gasoline NA full sized pickup, I want to drive in yours.

04, 5.4, no problems. 55k miles on it.

dbmach12004

SuperStar
Established Member
06 F-150 EXT 5.4 Supercab, put 45K on it the first year I had it...only wish I had paid a little more for the upgraded interior but other than that the truck has been great. Its not the fastest truck on the planet but it holds it own, my dad has a Hemi Ram quad cab that will walk all over my truck in a race but I get about 6 MPG better gas mileage and almost the same tow rating.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I have a 2000 F-150 4x4 crew cab 6 ft bed. It has 100K on it and I have only changed the brakes and regular oil changes and tune-ups!

Users who are viewing this thread