03's with Long Tubes

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Well anyone done longtubes on their 03 cobra's and if so any problems (oil lost and drivealbty problems). Everyone with 96 - 01 cobra's are having major problems after they install Mac or BBk's Long tubes because of the EGR isn't getting the same pressure and the PCV is sucking oil into the intake. My guess is because of the EGR is out of one exhaust #4 on the aftermarket headers instead of the stock manifold which all the exhaust come together creating more pressure. Here a links on the sub.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69522

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167953&highlight=mac+lts

Any input.

:??:

Silver 03 Cobra

I have never read of this problem with BBK's, only Macs. I had BBK's on my 01 and nevr had any problems. I put a set on my buddies 03 about a month ago.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
JDM longtubes working good over here. Only problem since the intall was a blown header gasket on the drivers side. All good since then>SOunds Bad ass!!!!

vcmoore

Established Member
I've got Hooker long-tubes and x-pipe and have no problem. Everyone says it sounds like a Indy car...even had strangers recording my exhaust sound with micro voice recorders! It is LOUD!!!

side.jpg

under.jpg

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by 93cobra-r
I've got Hooker long-tubes and x-pipe and have no problem. Everyone says it sounds like a Indy car...even had strangers recording my exhaust sound with micro voice recorders! It is LOUD!!!

side.jpg

under.jpg

Where did you get your Hookers from? How much? Any difficulty in installation? It's the brand I want. Any info would be appreciated. Are those 3" collectors?

vcmoore

Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake

Where did you get your Hookers from? How much? Any difficulty in installation? It's the brand I want. Any info would be appreciated. Are those 3" collectors?

Holley installed the exhaust for me, they used my car as a test car. I've got a a product release sheet that has a pic of my car, the exhaust and technical info. I'll scan it for you and post it here. 1-5/8" x 30" primary tubes and 3" collector. The part number is 6229-1HKR.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
I have never read of this problem with BBK's, only Macs. I had BBK's on my 01 and nevr had any problems. I put a set on my buddies 03 about a month ago.

Ditto. I have a friend who lost his engine due to welding flash coming loose from inside MAC long-tubes and getting ingested via EGR (at least that is the speculated method of ingestion).

I have never heard of the same problem with BBKs.

MJ

cubes

Established Member
Originally posted by 93cobra-r

side.jpg
:thumbsup: It looks like they fit nice. How much clearance from the ground? Post some more pics. Will there be a catted X-pipe coming?

Last edited:

CWCobra

Established Member
Didn't realize Hookers were on the market yet...can't find 'em anywhere. Are these the ones advertised for the '01 Cobra? (I forget the part number)
Thanks,
CW

cubes

Established Member
Has anyone had the welding rings still in the tubes? Can they be removed with a grinder?

stan03

Established Member
long tubes

I've had BBK chromes on mine for 500miles or so...no problems.I also have xw/cats,and bassani cat backs...it sound great!!!Runs even better.
BTW I have at least one other set in stock....and am awaiting some Bassani headers( hi Terry) to test out on another car.

:burnout:

cubes

Established Member
Has anyone else tried the 03 Hooker headers yet? How do they compare to the JDM and QMP?

shetheri

Established Member
Cobra-R,

Are those headers designed specifically for the 2003's new exhaust port or are they the 96-99 Cobra headers? The part number that you have listed is the same part number that Hooker has had for over a year on the 96-99 Cobra headers. I am just wondering if they modified the old header design to work on the '03 and have the port extra large on the 96-99, or if you are actually choking the port like the BBk's. I know that the JDM/Kooks have shown minimal HP increase over the old BBK's, but a huge increase in torque, due to the collector not choking down for the ball style fit.

Last edited:

WesStang

Established Member
I am just wondering if they modified the old header design to work on the '03 and have the port extra large on the 96-99

The oval header flange on the Hookers are larger than the 2003 ports.

--Wes

Users who are viewing this thread