03 Won’t Start. Cranks and has fuel

cursixx

Established Member
Started the Cobra up today and headed to a car show about 30 miles away. Everything is fine on the way. Running like normal.

I get to the car show and back into a spot. Got signed in noticed a few of my friends a few rows down so I went to move the car closer to them.

Tried to start the car and it just cranks and cranks and never starts up. After a few people noticed I was having a problem came over to help. I messed with lot of what I could there at the show. As the hours went by it was not looking good so I had a friend bring his flat bed to pull it home.

Thing I have tried so far

Putting the throttle to the floor and tried to start it
Checked all the fuse. Engine and the ones under the dash.
Checked the fuel pump reset thing in the trunk.
All visible sensors are plugged in

From what I can tell I have fuel and the motor is cranking fine. After a while of cranking the smell of fuel is coming from the tail pipes.

Any ideas? A few guys said it could be the CPS crank position sensor? I’m putting it on the scan tool tomorrow to see if I can find a code or something.

:beer:

Last edited:

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
Does it fire at all? If it fires for just a split a second it is the Pats system, but other than that I couldn't tell you.

cursixx

Established Member
yeah checked that

i think i found the problem tho.

ecm shows a p0193 and thats a code for the frps

unplugged the vac line to it and fuel came out so i'm sure thats what it is.

i guess Ford is the only place to get this sensor? any after market ones?

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
The frps is to these cars what the tfi module was to the 5.0's. It seems like they go out all the time, all you have to do is look at them wrong. You can probably just run down to the dealer and pick one up. Best of luck.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Don't forget to change your oil and check out the KB FRPS disk...i don't have any personal experience with it but it's suppose to prevent the FRPS from being blown.

cursixx

Established Member
Got the car running last night FRPS and KB FRPS Disc installed. New plugs and OIL

It was a smoke show for a few mins after start up and a nice smoke going down the road.

Everything seemed to clear out after a few miles. The only thing I noticed was the car died while pushing the clutch in coming to a stop sign, it started right back up. This was after I drove the car about 15 miles, then it sat for a few hours and I drove back home. Right before I got home is when it died on me. Maybe just still clearing things out? Something else I should look into?

Denise

Established Member
Just something to look into, I had my car tuned with vaccums done incorrectly. Had the vaccum lines redone and the car started shutting itself off when I would put the clutch down or take it out of gear. Car doesnt act like its stalling no service lights come on.... Maybe a vaccum line blew off and is causing the problem.

cursixx

Established Member
I was thinking maybe a vacuum lines myself so I’ll check them tonight.

I put tr6's back in the car but with a gap of .35 and the old gap was .30. I don’t see how that would cause a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread