03 vs. old school muscle

eddy z

Established Member
Here is a new topic to review for all, 30's vs old school muscle cars. After all, we share stories about how we run agaisnt rice, Z06's, vipers, other GM's, BMW's, ect... But, I have not seen or heard any stories on how our cars run with old school muscle cars, ie., GTO's, Chevelle's, big blocks, other GM's,Hemi's, Mopars, ect... So, what's the word out there?? Has anyone, ran with old school muscle cars?? if so, how did our 03's do?

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
track:

up here in the clouds, the 'old school' cars run in Pro Comp w/ stroker big block motors, most run in the 10's which would be 9's at sea level. I'm amazed what they are able to get out of those motors.

street:

most of the 'old' m/c are loud pigs that move about the same speed, i have not had any problems with them

Last edited:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
My friend 351 Mach 1 Ran a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 with a top loader. That was a fun race I was sitting gun when we went from a 45 mph role. He started in second as did we. At the punch he bagan to walk us (chalk it up to solidlifters, highperformance cam, and a full hooker exhaust) not to mention the torque that the engine produces. After the 2-3 shift it was a little different. We were at each others door, and then we began to stroll past him putting a couple of cars on him. Great race though, and the guy was extremely impressed by the cobra as I was his chevelle. I love Muscle cars...there is no replacement for displacement!

nj7703

Established Member
Some of those cars are more folklore than actual performance. The horsepower numbers were there, but so was the curb weight. MANY could not handle worth a damn, they overheated, brakes sucked. I would not trade my 03 for none of those cars, not as an overall day to day car, and kick ass muscle car which is what the 03 is. Here is a short list of Muscle car performance #'s from 1969. AS you can see, we would spank some legendary cars on that list based on those numbers

http://www.cccvette.com/1969musclecars.htm

Last edited:

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
I smoked me some '67 Corvette 427 Stingray(modded) from a roll. It was no competition.:burnout:

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Flat out stock my 914-6 would run a 0-60 time slower than todays mini vans.

Everything is faster today.

Road and Track magazine did an article earlier this year about an old 911 vs the same year old XKE. The result, the rental minivan completed the course faster than either of the two 1960's sports cars. However, in the final analysis, the Porsche and the Jag were more fun to drive.

I was at a cruise-in last weekend and some guy said something about me buying the Cobra as opposed to building my own hot rod, my reply was that mine starts up EVERY morning and gets me home from work EVERY night. nuf said there.

jshen

Established Member
TIRES!

Were the weak link back then and hp ratings were different..."gross" vs net. Thats why GTOs could easily spin tires in all 4 gears......Put on a set of today's tires...and I don't think it would even come close to a Cobra....I had a 67 Chevelle 396/375 and it was no quicker than my 03...just harder to drive. I seem to recall Poplular Mechanics" did a present day comparison of muscle cars using modern tires. However all cars were equipped with same brand and size..As I recall..even the hemis' ran mid 12s. What was impressive was the 87 buick Grand National..3.8 turbo..was quicker than the Hemi..

I test drove a 70 440 6pack Challenger and it was pretty darn quick also...but brakes and handling were terrible. My PD ran 440 magnum Satellites..you would consider it a muscle car..trust me..Tires did not last long..nor did brakes and heaven help you if you needed to corner at speed.....

As an old fart who's driven about everything once or twice...Ford has brought back the muscle car...with a vengence. Hopefully a NEW muscle era has just arrived.

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
I think we are going to see a trend were car manufaturers are going to keep bringing out cars with more and more power, just like in the 1960's. Computer controls have come a long ways since the early 1980's, now a car can have all that smog equipment and make incredible power. Hopefully the governemnt doesn't start cracking down on this trend, or the insurance companies either. That way we don't end up with Mustang II's again. :bash:

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by UltimateSVT
I think we are going to see a trend were car manufaturers are going to keep bringing out cars with more and more power, just like in the 1960's. Computer controls have come a long ways since the early 1980's, now a car can have all that smog equipment and make incredible power. Hopefully the governemnt doesn't start cracking down on this trend, or the insurance companies either. That way we don't end up with Mustang II's again. :bash:

As bad as the Mustang II was, anyone here ever drive an 80, or 82 Vette? Not the cross fire fuelie, the stock carburated one. At least the Mustang II could get out of it's way. We are in the middle of a full blow muscle car revival. I am sad to see the LS1 cars from GM go. Competition was what made the Mustang as good as it is today. I would love to see Chrysler really do something with the Hemi, do the Charger RT concept. I have a friend with a 70 Boss 302, and he DROOLS over the Cobra. Life is good guys :beer:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Re: TIRES!

Originally posted by jshen
Were the weak link back then and hp ratings were different..."gross" vs net. Thats why GTOs could easily spin tires in all 4 gears......Put on a set of today's tires...and I don't think it would even come close to a Cobra....I had a 67 Chevelle 396/375 and it was no quicker than my 03...just harder to drive. I seem to recall Poplular Mechanics" did a present day comparison of muscle cars using modern tires. However all cars were equipped with same brand and size..As I recall..even the hemis' ran mid 12s. What was impressive was the 87 buick Grand National..3.8 turbo..was quicker than the Hemi..

I test drove a 70 440 6pack Challenger and it was pretty darn quick also...but brakes and handling were terrible. My PD ran 440 magnum Satellites..you would consider it a muscle car..trust me..Tires did not last long..nor did brakes and heaven help you if you needed to corner at speed.....

Good points. Put decent tires on some of the old BB's, and they'd be about on a par to the '03, acceleration wise. Handling and braking can also be updated, but I'd give the Cobra the edge there.

I had four of the 440 ex cop cars ('68, '70, '72, and '73) - Father was a cop and used to pick them up cheap before they hit the auction. They were pretty much beat to shit when we got them but still had balls. I had the '70 running mid 12's with a lot of work. Great sleeper, and put to shame many a '70's F-bod who thought their 15 sec. smogger was quick.

Grey03

Established Member
Everyone thinks the hey-day of the muscle car was the 60's but in reality we live in the hey-day of the muscle car, today's car are faster, cleaner, safer, and better built than any old muscle car. I love old muscle cars but stock vs stock is no comparison.

Tweaker

Established Member
My heavily modified n/a '72 BOSS 351 Mustang C6 auto did 0-60 in 4.5 secs and 12.5 sec q-mile. Gas mileage in city was 10 MPG, 14 highway. Did not meet smog (obviously). So the '03 Cobra has come a long way.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Even though I owned quite a few muscle cars from back then (70 Camaro SS 396-375 w/M-22, a 70 Buick GSX Stage 1, still wish I kept that one, at least it had a/c, 85 Corvette, if you call it a muscle car, 87 Buick Grand National, 90 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix, front wheel drive=NG and a couple other lumps, the 03 Cobra I believe is better because it has good a/c, 4 wheel abs discs, traction control, not that I use it, air bags, great sound system, to me anyway, gets better fuel mileage than the others, rides and handles way better, cleaner for the environment and the sc 4.6 enegine has to be the best looking engine compartment that I've ever seen. Boy, that was a long sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Re: TIRES!

Originally posted by jshen
Were the weak link back then and hp ratings were different..."gross" vs net. (snip) My PD ran 440 magnum Satellites..you would consider it a muscle car..trust me..Tires did not last long..nor did brakes and heaven help you if you needed to corner at speed.....

I second that... I had the 440 Satellite police package with the "U4A" motor, bigger alternator, brakes and tires, 3.43:1 9-3/4" Dana limited slip rear... nice car, but I had my heart in my mouth about the way it handled anything but straightaways.

Also, it started to rust apart after about 4 years.

jshen

Established Member
"best looking engine compartment"

Amen to that. It's the best looking I've seen too! My college dorm was a block from a Ferrari repair shop and on occasion I would slip in and see what he was working on. (1970) I remember being in awe when I saw my first Ferrari Daytona...6 two barrel webers....on a V-12 ....But that pales in comparison to the beautiful 03..

svtwillie

Established Member
03 VS Old School Muscle

I agree, we now live in the good old (new) days, please enjoy it now B4 someone wakes up and shuts us down..

However--- I have a car with a 70 Cleveland Boss 351. It will hold its own against most all comers on the street and even the track as long as it is a street driven auto. The only thing I dont like about it is that it has no top or side windows... 66 Cobra :lol:

ergon

Established Member
The Hemi Cuda is Still the fastest mass produced street machine. Ran in the 10's off the showroom floor. My Ram Air 67 GTO ran low 13's pure stock. Our 66 Chervelle ran 12:23 in B/S. I sure wish we had the technology back then that we have now, but I guess old Henry Ford would have liked to have had the technology we had "back in the day". I can see it now a 427 SOHC in a Vic. I can only dream.

One last thing, what about the 429 police interceptor........yeap was there too.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Here's a great link which answers the question of which era is better (at least from a performance point of view):

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

I would say that overall balls the Cuda SS is the champ of stock form. But then again it looks like there are quite a few newer beasts in the top 25 production models. The Terminator ranks 35th. Not bad considering most of the cars faster than it are at least worth (or cost) 2-3 times more. And you still get 19MPG (well if you're nice to her once in a while).

Notice the word "Cobra" appears 9 times. ;-)

Also, do you see the sleeper in the list? I'll give you a hint...it's got the little engine that could, and it glows with cheapness.

Users who are viewing this thread