03 Twin Turbo Cobra Dyno Results

imaboa

Established Member
I recently tuned an 03 Cobra for a close friend of mine. The project has been alot of fun, I'm not sure whether we've spent more money on beer or putting the car together.

About the car:
03 Cobra
Twin GT35R
4.6L with Rods and Pistons
Ford GT Cams
120 lb/hr injectors
9.5:1 Compression

The car has a Haltech Standalone operating the engine controls (fuel, ignition, boost control, fans, fuel pumps), and has the Stock ECU operating some of the other functions (A/C, gauges, etc.)

The car put down 665hp at 15 psi on pump gas, I pulled some timing out of the "hot cylinder" and a little timing across the board for pump gas safety. Also made some adjustments to the boost controller to get it to come up to target boost smoother, and the car made a conservative 650hp on pump gas.

A short video of the car:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yal4vMHZWug"]YouTube- Twin Turbo '03 Cobra Haltech P2000[/ame]

Some Pictures:
IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

Dyno Charts:
Mark%20Mustang%20650hp%20hp%20and%20tq.jpg

Mark%20Mustang%20650hp.jpg

Last edited:

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
I would have figured with twin GT35R's and a 9.5:1 compression motor at 15psi it would make a lot more power then 650rwhp. I know on my car at 15psi with just a single Turbonetics T76 and 8.6:1 compression with comp blower cams put down 675rwhp and 655rwtq and only 17degs of timing. Nice looking setup though.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
dan03mach,
That 650 number is on Dyno Dynamics dyno. That is about 13% lower than DynoJet numbers. So roughly 735 on a DynoJet.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
dan03mach,
That 650 number is on Dyno Dynamics dyno. That is about 13% lower than DynoJet numbers. So roughly 735 on a DynoJet.
Ok well that makes more sense now. Are Dyno Dynamics dyno's like mustang dynos where they can load it up?

bit

Established Member
Ok well that makes more sense now. Are Dyno Dynamics dyno's like mustang dynos where they can load it up?
Very simular in that they load using an eddie current system; however, the way the load is applied is different than a Mustang. I am sure imaboa can elaborate if you are interested.

imaboa

Established Member
The Dyno Dynamics dynos are similar in operation to the Mustangs, in that you can operate the car "steady state" and tune fuel and ignition tables at all the load points.

imaboa

Established Member
what kind of intake manifold is on that car? nice results man

Its a Beck Intake Manifold.

Its got to have the same volume as a 5 gallon paint bucket...:rockon:
Should work well when we put some race gas in it and turn the boost up to 30 or 35.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Love the intake and turbo layout in the engine bay. I just love the symetrical layout and look you guys achieved. Very well done!

Those aren't Tial stainless steel exhaust housings are they? I had a set for my GT35R's and the ones in the pics look to be about the same size and have the very smooth surface look to them is why I ask.

Ken

Last edited:

imaboa

Established Member
Love the intake and turbo layout in the engine bay. I just love the symetrical layout and look you guys achieved. Very well done!

Those aren't Tial stainless steel exhaust housings are they? I had a set for my GT35R's and the ones in the pics look to be about the same size and have the very smooth surface look to them is why I ask.

Ken

The exhaust housings are the Tial Stainless with the V-band on the inlet and out of the housing. I've used these on other cars, the V-bands are so easy to get on and off, and the housings don't get rusted and looking like crap.

The symmetry caused a ton of hassles. Take a look at a stock '03 Cobra Engine bay, and look how much stuff has been deleted or moved. (power steering res. , brake lines, etc.) On top of that, we de-pinned a ton of wiring from the factory harness to clean up the wiring.

Oh, and there are 8 LS7 Coils stuffed under the intake Manifold.......

:beer:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Nice....thought they looked familiar.

Yeah, one of the first things I noticed was the lack of items that you had either removed or relocated from the engine bay. The final results are amazing!

How do you like the Haltech? Don't usually see it used too much. I've always been curious of it as well as the Motec systems though.

Ken:beer:

imaboa

Established Member
Nice....thought they looked familiar.

Yeah, one of the first things I noticed was the lack of items that you had either removed or relocated from the engine bay. The final results are amazing!

How do you like the Haltech? Don't usually see it used too much. I've always been curious of it as well as the Motec systems though.

Ken:beer:

Haltech makes an excellent product, the new platinum software is light years ahead of the old E8/E11; in comparison to Motec (the Haltech uses the same Motorola Processor as the Motec), you can't beat the feature to dollar ratio. 35mins of onboard datalogging :)

Starts and runs like a champ, but any standalone can do that if you set it up correctly...

rtusnake

Established Member
Great looking setup. I'm getting ready to buy my turbos and was wondering about those tial housings. Will they fit a precision turbo? I was looking at getting the 6262 precisions

bit

Established Member
The symmetry caused a ton of hassles. Take a look at a stock '03 Cobra Engine bay, and look how much stuff has been deleted or moved. (power steering res. , brake lines, etc.) On top of that, we de-pinned a ton of wiring from the factory harness to clean up the wiring.
The brake lines to me are the most impressive part of that. So much work to hide them and almost no one will notice.

Users who are viewing this thread