03 termie differential question

Aereon

Established Member
Well, I have an 03 gt that I've swapped in an 03 termie IRS into. I am certain that my differential is blown and the case is also leaking.

My goals for the car are a comfortable/reliable daily driver, it's already seen some open track/soloII time and will likely see more, my power goals are set at 500rwhp/rwtq (max I'm comfortable driving on the street with). I love handling and have only really focused on that so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to other aspects of the car. Also I know getting 500 rwhp out of a 2v isnt the easiest but I'm going to be doing this slowly and do things right.

cliff....

My goals:
Comfortable DD
Open Trackable/SoloII/hpde/autox (handling oriented)
500 rwhp/rwtq

Keeping in mind the goals I have, here are my q's.

--what should I check on the housing to make sure when I replace the differential that it wont leak(I.E. Whats wrong with it?)
--how much power can the cobra differential safely hold?
--is it worth going with a different diff for me?
--What should I buy, a new differential or the differential rebuild kit (which is safer?)
--Would a girdle be required to run my car according to my plans?

I am wanting to fix this car as inexpensively as I can as I'm really not wanting to spend money on the car while the economy is in this state, but I do not want things getting worse.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Open track/HPDE/Time attacks with a Traction-loc differential are a waste of time. You'll be spinning the inside tire on every corner by the end of the first session.

Don't waste your time trying to milk a 2v for 500hp, especially on the road course. One of the fastest track cars I've encountered was a Bullitt with a stock engine. Chassis beats motor on the road course any day of hte week.

As far as the differential goes, try a Tru-Trac or, even better, a Torsen. The Torsen T2-R is the hot setup, but since you're on a budget, scrounge an 8.8 T2 from a 4x4 ranger/f150/exploder. It won't have the preload, but it will still give you a torque-sensing diff.

Spend your money on brake pads, tires, and track time rather than 'speed parts.'

And if you call it a 'termie' again, we're coming for your keyboard.

Aereon

Established Member
Open track/HPDE/Time attacks with a Traction-loc differential are a waste of time. You'll be spinning the inside tire on every corner by the end of the first session.

Don't waste your time trying to milk a 2v for 500hp, especially on the road course. One of the fastest track cars I've encountered was a Bullitt with a stock engine. Chassis beats motor on the road course any day of hte week.

As far as the differential goes, try a Tru-Trac or, even better, a Torsen. The Torsen T2-R is the hot setup, but since you're on a budget, scrounge an 8.8 T2 from a 4x4 ranger/f150/exploder. It won't have the preload, but it will still give you a torque-sensing diff.

Spend your money on brake pads, tires, and track time rather than 'speed parts.'

And if you call it a 'termie' again, we're coming for your keyboard.

Sorry about the way I call an 03-04 cobra, just force of habit ya know?

Anyways I have looked into a a t2-r but I've heard about some street drivability issues. Also the 500 rwhp/tq number is just a goal, I'm most likely gonna leave the car stock as far as the engine goes but truthfully it's a street car more than a track car so I need to keep that in mind when working on it. I'd love nothing more than to save up and throw a gr-40 suspension setup at it but it's just not comfortable for the street.

As far as the diff that comes in the IRS, I was under the assumption that it was an lsd and not a locking type? If this is not the case then I'll just be putting this off a little till I can save up for a detroit unit.

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
I have extra carbon fiber plates and steels if you need them, without buying a complete set. I also have complete rebuild sets and bearing/ races if you need them too. Let me know.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well, I have an 03 gt that I've swapped in an 03 termie IRS into. I am certain that my differential is blown and the case is also leaking.

My goals for the car are a comfortable/reliable daily driver, it's already seen some open track/soloII time and will likely see more, my power goals are set at 500rwhp/rwtq (max I'm comfortable driving on the street with). I love handling and have only really focused on that so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to other aspects of the car. Also I know getting 500 rwhp out of a 2v isnt the easiest but I'm going to be doing this slowly and do things right.

cliff....

My goals:
Comfortable DD
Open Trackable/SoloII/hpde/autox (handling oriented)
500 rwhp/rwtq

Keeping in mind the goals I have, here are my q's.

--what should I check on the housing to make sure when I replace the differential that it wont leak(I.E. Whats wrong with it?)
--how much power can the cobra differential safely hold?
--is it worth going with a different diff for me?
--What should I buy, a new differential or the differential rebuild kit (which is safer?)
--Would a girdle be required to run my car according to my plans?

I am wanting to fix this car as inexpensively as I can as I'm really not wanting to spend money on the car while the economy is in this state, but I do not want things getting worse.

If you want the best differential for open tracking you simply cannot do better than a Torsen T2-R. It will run cooler than the 'clutched' OEM unit. But you will still most likely need a diff cooler if you're passing more cars than what are passing you! With the OEM diff, anything beyond the 'Novice' class will put you on borrowed time. And like John says above, you'll be doing a one wheel peel out of every turn!

Good luck with your Termie! ;-)

Aereon

Established Member
If you want the best differential for open tracking you simply cannot do better than a Torsen T2-R. It will run cooler than the 'clutched' OEM unit. But you will still most likely need a diff cooler if you're passing more cars than what are passing you! With the OEM diff, anything beyond the 'Novice' class will put you on borrowed time. And like John says above, you'll be doing a one wheel peel out of every turn!

Good luck with your Termie! ;-)

lols I wish I had a termie, but thanks you're the only one that came close to answering the q. I'm just gonna save up and hold out as long as I can and buy a detroit tru trac. I'd love a t2-r but it's just not something I can convince myself is worth it to have on a mostly DD car.

Last edited:

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
Save your money for the diff and get Bruce's bushings too. The IRS will give you good service when the rubber bushings are replaced with delrin.

Users who are viewing this thread