03 motor clear the stock 99 cobra hood?

on3performance

taking the 03 motor out of my notch to just go turbo like I should have from the start. I have a 99 currently blown up and was going to throw it in the 99 and put the new stroker in the notch with a big single.

Anyone know if I can clear the stock 99 hood?

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
An 03 cobra motor with the blower on top will not clear a stock 99 Cobra hood as far as I know....

99S_V_T

Established Member
taking the 03 motor out of my notch to just go turbo like I should have from the start. I have a 99 currently blown up and was going to throw it in the 99 and put the new stroker in the notch with a big single.

Anyone know if I can clear the stock 99 hood?

this may have had something to do with the whole 550hp on a stock 99 cobra motor. hyperutectic anything = pile of shit

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Seriously, after reading my post. How dense are you? There are plenty of 99/01 cobras running around with stock hoods and either eaton swaps or full transplants. I'm pretty sure it's best to remove the hood blanket, because it might rub at the Iac. But these are stock hooded cars...

seeing SVT had to create a larger hood due to the fact, id say no......

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Seriously, after reading my post. How dense are you? There are plenty of 99/01 cobras running around with stock hoods and either eaton swaps or full transplants. I'm pretty sure it's best to remove the hood blanket, because it might rub at the Iac. But these are stock hooded cars...

with stock pulley and shroud?

I was under the assumption that while the SC clears the pulley/shroud may not due to the curvature of the hood. Alot of KB/Whipple guys have the same issue with the 3.5" (or larger) pulleys and clearance, Clarence.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Most everyone could care less about the shroud, however stock 99 shortblock eaton swaps can't safely run anymore boost then a stock pulley. So yes with stock pulley.

Now a 96-98 cobra would require you to remove hood blanket, clearence a hood brace above the IAC and the pulley would have to be a smaller one 2.76-2.93

To be thorough I'd like to mention that with a 99-01 cobra hood an 03-04 MM STB will not fit, and the 99-01 MM STB is incompatible with the eaton setup.

Last edited:

on3performance

I have a complete 03 motor that I was going to run for the mean time and might go compound down the road.

As far as the car blowing up, yes I was pushing it and if I worried, I would not of put a controller on it. I wanted to see what the kits were going to produce along with getting some dyno numbers for advertising. Its r&d, would I rather of tested with a built bottom end, yes. I didnt have that option at the time, now it will be a different story

mustangvick

Im the new king of cleve.
Established Member
hood clearance

99-2004 gt hoods will fit with smaller pullies, it will chew threw the blanket,and part way through the hood to the outside...
i did mines and have the hood to show for it.
bought a cobra hood and its great now......
my car is 2000 gt did the entire swap minus the interior.....

Users who are viewing this thread