03 Mach vs 10 GT

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
So about a week or so ago I was out cruising with a few friends. We were on our way to a local spot where all the car guys meet up on the weekends. (unfortunately a lot of ricers show up also). On the way I spot the back of a newer mustang, as I pull up to it I realized that it was 2010. When I got next to him at the light the guy looks over and looks at my car like its got nothing on his car. He gave it a little rev (car sounded bone stock) and I just kind of laughed a little and knew the guy would want to go. We had to wait till the next light down the street to get a chance to go since the first light was on a big curve of the road.*
Once we got to the straighter part of the road (going about 20, I was still in first) the guy punched it and then I reacted. I instantly stopped his initial pull and put about 1.5 -2 cars on him by 70. Dude wouldn't even look over at me afterwards. I wonder if he thought I was stock? Haha
I kinda feel bad for the 2010 owners, look like 5.0s but have that damn 3 valve motor.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Good kill. 2010's ...need work to wake them up. Your right looks like a 5.0 but in no way can perform like one.

JS01SNAKE

Established Member
Nice job, i beat one with simmilar results in my bolt on, geared 01 cobra. what are your mods? It is unfortuneate for the 2010 owners when the 2011 5.0 came out the following year.

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
Nice job, i beat one with simmilar results in my bolt on, geared 01 cobra. what are your mods? It is unfortuneate for the 2010 owners when the 2011 5.0 came out the following year.

I've got full bolt ons and a 93 tune and drag radials to actually hook up some

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Nice work man!...Wonder if he thought you were a 2V GT?
Regardless, guess he did not see the Shaker on the hood and the MACH 1 emblem on the back...wait, he did see the MACH 1 emblem on the back..:lol1:

Last edited:

S197OnSpray

Established Member
Nice kill but please explain the problem with a 3V motor. Your car is a bit lighter and has mods, you should beat him by a couple of cars but you act like the 3V motor is a stepchild in the modular family. A 3V will trade your 4V blow for blow stock for stock and bolton for bolton. Pound for pound your 4V has zero advantage over a 3V period. I've had a 3V car with suspension, weight reduction (to even the playing field), full boltons, exhaust, cammed & geared and have yet to see any 4V on motor run door to door with my 07. Not to rain on your parade but the 3V is on the same playing field as you, you do not have a superior motor at all.

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
Nice kill but please explain the problem with a 3V motor. Your car is a bit lighter and has mods, you should beat him by a couple of cars but you act like the 3V motor is a stepchild in the modular family. A 3V will trade your 4V blow for blow stock for stock and bolton for bolton. Pound for pound your 4V has zero advantage over a 3V period. I've had a 3V car with suspension, weight reduction (to even the playing field), full boltons, exhaust, cammed & geared and have yet to see any 4V on motor run door to door with my 07. Not to rain on your parade but the 3V is on the same playing field as you, you do not have a superior motor at all.

Point being "sucks for 2010 owners" 1 year later the car had the 5.0 with over 400 horse but looked about the same as the 10 model
Also I've ran 05-09 gt's with same mods as mine and still beat them mod for. Also I know someone with a procharged 3 valve. Me and him run side by side for the most part. And as for this race I would've beat the 2010 by more but I spun in first. I know 3 valves can run but I haven't lost to one around here yet.
Most people I know around here with 3 valves don't really like the motor

Last edited:

vic_s197

Established Member

I agree with u on some of that. The s197 is no slouch with a good driver, but there are a lot of people out there that buy them cuz there purty and can't drive for shit. When I had just bolt ons on my 05 I whooped up on a lot of cars on and off the track including new camaros,challengers srt8's , and ws6 but again I don't no how good of drivers they were all I no is I drove my car pretty hard.

As for the comparison of the mach and 3 valve. Iv never seen or heard of a mach 1 push 15 psi boost and over 550 rwhp on stock bottom end and hold up. I no of many three valves do that including mine at 14 psi and over 550 rwhp for over a year. And I ran it hard
Nuthing against mach 1's I like them alot just my experience

8URZ-28

Boost Freak
Established Member
Good kill!! I have never had a problem taking a 3v in any of my 4v cars and have yet to come across a 3v that has really impressed me.

Last edited:

Wildman113

Established Member

The reality is that the 3V modular is the bastard child of the mod motor family. It was Ford's last ditch effort to make more power than the 2V while avoiding producing a whole new engine or going to the much more expensive 4V architecture.

Its not just that 3V's don't make a whole lot of horsepower or torque, its that they are just poorly designed in general. They have serious problems due to their unique spark plug design, which causes the plugs to become siezed in the cylinder head and are next to impossible to remove. They also have the notorious cam phasers and variable cam control solenoids that fail internally and cause improper cam timing which in turn sets codes for timing adv/ret as well as rattling noise from the timing cover, and replacement isn't cheap or easy.

The 4.6 Mach 1 engine uses a Forged crank, and redlines at 7,000RPM. And with basic mods they will pull strong all the way to 7K, because the heads breathe very well. From a design perspective, the 4V modular heads are excellent in terms of power potential and reliability. The 3V heads have a lot of compromises in order to run 24 valves with 2 cams, and it shows.

With bolt ons, cams, and gears (same mods as your 3V) in a 4.6 4V, it will walk a 3V pound for pound every time.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have never seen a mach lose to a 3v mod unless it was sprayed or boosted. Not saying it hasn't happened but I have never seen it.

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
I have never seen a mach lose to a 3v mod unless it was sprayed or boosted. Not saying it hasn't happened but I have never seen it.

Like I said I run right with my buddies procharged 3 valve gt. He doesn't run high boost (maybe 9 pounds) or anything but still!

Last edited:

S197OnSpray

Established Member
I can't believe some of you guys actually believe the BS you post on here. The 4V 4.6 is in no way shape or form any better than the 3V. The cylinder heads are the only real difference between the two and they flow basically the same. The 3V has better torque production down low and in either case neither of them make any real all motor power. You show me your highest horsepower 4V 4.6 and I'll show you a 3V that is within 10 horsepower +/- build for build. My point is not that the lighter new edge platform will outrun a S197 3V, but that the 3V is in no way inferior to your 4V in any way shape or form. Calling it a stepchild means you just flat out don't know what your talking about. Maybe I'm not speaking your language but I'll try to dumb it down a bit. Put a 3V in a new edge and you hold no advantage. the Machs only advantage is weight, period end of story.

S197OnSpray

Established Member
The reality is that the 3V modular is the bastard child of the mod motor family. It was Ford's last ditch effort to make more power than the 2V while avoiding producing a whole new engine or going to the much more expensive 4V architecture.

Its not just that 3V's don't make a whole lot of horsepower or torque, its that they are just poorly designed in general. They have serious problems due to their unique spark plug design, which causes the plugs to become siezed in the cylinder head and are next to impossible to remove. They also have the notorious cam phasers and variable cam control solenoids that fail internally and cause improper cam timing which in turn sets codes for timing adv/ret as well as rattling noise from the timing cover, and replacement isn't cheap or easy.

The 4.6 Mach 1 engine uses a Forged crank, and redlines at 7,000RPM. And with basic mods they will pull strong all the way to 7K, because the heads breathe very well. From a design perspective, the 4V modular heads are excellent in terms of power potential and reliability. The 3V heads have a lot of compromises in order to run 24 valves with 2 cams, and it shows.

With bolt ons, cams, and gears (same mods as your 3V) in a 4.6 4V, it will walk a 3V pound for pound every time.

You have no idea what your talking about the 3V has no more design flaws than the 4V. Are you serious about the spark plug design? you must be joking, the plug itself is the issue not the 3V motor. What does a two piece spark plug have to do with the design of the motor? You simply take out the spark plug and replace with a single piece design, problem solved. Should we talk about 4V cylinder head cooling issues? Do you have any data to show the 3V head doesn't flow well? Probably not, once again your just spewing BS. The 3V heads have been proven to flow as well if not better in some cases as it's 4V brother. You talk about the 4V like it makes 200 more horsepower than the 3V, news flash it makes maybe 5 more in stock trim and boltons don't add any more percentage on a 4V than on a 3V. I set my limiter to 7000 and shifted at 6800 on the stock 3V valvetrain, your point? Would like to hear about these so called design compromises you claim with the 3V heads. Please "show" me how the 3V's 24 valves and sohc design is an issue. Ever heard of variable cam timing? They flow just as well if not better than a 4V head and yet that's a compromise? The Mach 1 engine has toothpick rods just like every other mod motor from Ford, so your forged crank analogy means absolutely nothing. The 4.6 4V will never make enough power on motor to ever need a forged crank and when boosted it needs pistons and rods anyway so no real benefit over the 3V.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread