03 Mach 1 vs. 06 Z06

Machnasty

Established Member
I pull in a parking lot and park next to a red 04 Cobra. I get out and a couple guys are standing by a new Z06 with his hood popped. One of the guys walks over and asks if I wanna run it. I was like no, I dont do that anymore. I went over and saw it was brand new, maybe a couple thousand miles with no mods that I could see. I started talking to the owner for a while and he just wanted to see what it could do. After a little coaxing from the mustang guys and a little shit talking from the GM guys I said lets do it. We go to a disclosed location hit 40 mph, 3 honks then go. It was a pretty close race, we stayed neck and neck but I pulled just enough to take him by a fender. We race for a little over a 1/4 mile. Oh I forgot to say my Mach not stock at all. In fact It has an 04 cobra motor and trans with just about all the bolt-ons. Ford Power!

MachNasty
03 DSG Hybrid Freak

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
i sure hope you are pushing about 500rwhp to do that and at least a ported blower. yes i can see a mach with that kind of power doing that b/c of the solid axle and lighter weight.

mustangbee

Established Member
so outta all those dudes and all the coaxing...no one had a camera? :dw:

btw, a stock Z puts down around 450rwhp...how was this Z guy's driver mod

Machnasty

Established Member
I didnt bring one. My brother brought one but wasnt filming since he was in his car (VW VR6) behind us, way behind us.

MachNasty
03 DSG Hybrid Freak

mustangbee

Established Member
nice kill, but those numbers are very mild to stay with a new Z...but then again, the driver mod is very important

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
a Mach I with the cobra motor will be lighter than the 03-04 cobras...

it doesnt have IRS and other stuff.. my guess is that it will be pushing 150lbs lighter perhaps... makes alittle bit of a difference

still would have thought it would take abit more power to run a Z06.. but again theres always that driver thing

mustangbee

Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
my guess is that it will be pushing 150lbs lighter perhaps... makes alittle bit of a difference

yeah, it is a little lighter, but its kinda hard to imagine after seeing a vid of a cobra with a 100 more rwhp staying even(or getting pulled) by a reg c6(which is heavier than a Zo6)

http://media.putfile.com/03-Cobra-vs-06-Corvette-lll

even more so that this mach puts down almost exactly what a stock Z does...thats one hell of a driver mod to make up a SERIOUS weight disadvantage

Last edited:

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
hmmm. 452rwhp/467rwtq. the c6 z06 driver was definately lacking the driver mod. considering he just got the car, he is still probably in the process of learning how to drive it. a 150lb weight difference between a mach and a cobra is only about a lil over a tenth and mph in the 1/4 mile and roughly a 10-15hp difference. but there is not a 150lb weight difference b/c the mach no longer has an aluminum block. it's weight is the same as an 03/04 cobra in the front and the rear suspension weight difference isn't that much, maybe about 75lbs. yes, had it been a more experienced driver behind the wheel, (cough cough, me) or someone else with more seat time, the outcome would have been different - c6 z by 2-3 cars.

this guy beat the driver that night and not the car.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
I could see it happening since anything can happen on the street.. But I have also seen alot of low 11sec C6 Z06's too.. I had a new z06 turn down a race against me because I had Nitrous on my car.. I told him what the hell are you worried about it just a stock motor bolt on Mach1 with a little spray, you have a 500hp Z06.. I think I would have beaten him.. My car put down 465rwhp and 540rwtq the last time I dyno'd it.

Last edited:

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
dan03mach said:
I could see it happening since anything can happen on the street.. But I have also seen alot of low 11sec C6 Z06's too.. I had a new z06 turn down a race against me because I had Nitrous on my car.. I told him what the hell are you worried about it just a stock motor bolt on Mach1 with a little spray, you have a 500hp Z06.. I think I would have beaten him.. My car put down 465rwhp and 540rwtq the last time I dyno'd it.

like you said, anything can happen on the street. you on the bottle vs the c6 z, i think that would have been a good run, but i'll have to say it probably would have been dead even or the c6z by a fender. you definately have the TQ advantage but he has the aerodynamics.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
like you said, anything can happen on the street. you on the bottle vs the c6 z, i think that would have been a good run, but i'll have to say it probably would have been dead even or the c6z by a fender. you definately have the TQ advantage but he has the aerodynamics.
Yep that is exactly what I was thinking and he wouldn't race me.. I just wanted to run him to see how good I would hang with him and if I might be able to beat him in a roll race to about 120mph.. I know he would kill me after that though.. BTW what do the C6 Z06's weigh.. Thats another reason he said he wouldn't race me.. I told him that I was putting down about the same rwhp as he was with me on the N20. He said whats the point in racing you when my car is alot lighter then yours and puts the same hp down, that would be waisting my gas.. That kinda pissed me off. But he was a cocky SOB and thought his shit didn't stink or something. Little did he know my car weighs in at 3300lbs with me in it.. My car is light and so am I and this guy looked like he weighed a good 230lbs or so..

Last edited:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
brand new vette with a new driver... maybe he wasnt shiftin it at the redline? not so good with the stick? who knows

i ran a C6 vette that did 13.88 at 105 to my 13.89 at 97. close ass race all the way to about what i believe is the 1100 foot mark where he finally passed me

Users who are viewing this thread