03 Losing Power...Need help please

03CobraFreak

Established Member
My car feels like it is losing power lately. The motor sounds like the car should be going faster than it is and the boost seems to take longer to come up. I have done some searches and have found that some people have had problems with clogged cats. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer while it is still stock. What else would you guys make sure they check?

Cats, MAF, Plugs...anything else you can think of?

Thanks for your help :)

I have a picture of my cats if someone will post it...

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Clutch slipping?

Feels like when u gas it u should of been flying by now? Could be the clutch.

Cats easier to check.....go drive fast & stop real quick & look at them. See if they glow?

03CobraFreak

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Feels like when u gas it u should of been flying by now? Could be the clutch.

Cats easier to check.....go drive fast & stop real quick & look at them. See if they glow?

Poisonous - it's more like it should be going faster but it can't because it is being "bogged" down as if someone put 800 pounds in the trunk...strange
:nonono:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
how so? like bright red or what?
Hot Metal Red.
If the Cats are Clogged then ur not letting the hot exhaust escape. Since it cant escape what do u think the Pipes are going to do? Turn Red.

Remember good normal Temps for our exhaust is around 875 - 925 depending on which Spark Plug Company u decide to check on. Thats not even WOT Temps.

I see my EGT Temp Gauge going up to 1300F. 1300F Thats freaking hot.

So quick RUN at WOT & see if the Cats are glowing or not? Ur Pipes up next to the Manifold should be a little red....only if ur cats are clogged.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraFreak
Poisonous - it's more like it should be going faster but it can't because it is being "bogged" down as if someone put 800 pounds in the trunk...strange

The only time i feel some thing like that is when i forget to turn the T/C off. My head jerks a bit forward when it kicks in.

Cobra-R

Established Member

Ahh, sorry. I misread your original post. I took it like the engine would rev faster that the car would accelerate. woops. ;)

03CobraFreak

Established Member
Ahh, sorry. I misread your original post. I took it like the engine would rev faster that the car would accelerate. woops. ;)

Cobra-R - No problem, the revs and boost are slow to come up...

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member

Clutch Slippage can be associated as well. Ur engines & flywheels pretty much turning but u really aint moving fast. But that means u were driving the car alot or even riding on the clutch while in gear....which can result in pre-mature ware.

T/C Also u aint moving but u hear the engine reving....

That would be my best guess?

Last edited:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Cobra-R - No problem, the revs and boost are slow to come up...

Too much pressure in the Exhaust port can result in that.

U cant put more air in if u cant get the air out. Free Flowing Exhaust help out in this case(More Air Out).

I think that could be the case....Cant push More Air Out if some thing is blocking the escape route.

Honestly doing the quick test should help u figure out if this is part of the factor or not. If it is just take it to the dealer if not u got some thing happening that im sorry...couldnt relate or exp. with.

Last edited:

03CobraFreak

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Too much pressure in the Exhaust port can result in that.

U cant put more air in if u cant get the air out. Free Flowing Exhaust help out in this case(More Air Out).

I think that could be the case....Cant push out if More Air Out if u some thing is blocking the escape route.

Honestly doing the quick test should help u figure out if this is part of the factor or not. If it is just take it to the dealer if not u got some thing happening that im sorry...couldnt relate or exp. with.

Poisonous - Thanks for the input, I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow and check the cats and mess with the T/C. I will post and let you know :burnout:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Not in the day time. Do a quick run but on the cruising side. Look at the cats, thus u know how it should be after u do a WOT run.

Not sure if the day is a good time to do but guess if they glow u might be able to notice it.

Good Luck Bro & hope that ur quick fix. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread