03 KB Vert vs GT35R Evo

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Over the last few weeks I've racked up a few kills I figured I would share...

Car hasn't changed too much over the last year or so, minor stuff like headers, Tubular - K, and yes it's still sporting the 100+ lbs of junk rolling around in the trunk.

03 KB vert
2.2KB

I started out the night as I usually do, I drove down to our normal play area and picked up my buddy. We dropped the top, filled up the tank and proceeded down to one of our bridges. Suddenly I heard something in a "throaty" 4 cylinder variety and looked back to see a silver Evo IX pushing a good clip to catch up to me.

I slowed down and allowed him to catch up, was down about 60 mph. I left it in 3rd gear, waited for him to downshift, and then motioned for him to take the hit.

I heard his turbo start to spool, so I mashed it and we were off! I immediately started pulling at a pretty good clip, I shifted to 4th and let out, no reason to rub it in, it was pretty clear that I had him by a pretty good margin.

I was hoping to run him again, hopefully giving him his race (a low roll, since a stop wasn't possible where we were). However, we noticed he was hanging way back, and then after about 30 seconds, he gets back up next to me.

I downshifted down to second, waited for him to downshift, and then looked over and motioned for him to take the hit again.... that was a mistake!

On the hit I spun pretty good, so I pedaled it a bit, and went into 3rd, still in the powerband though. However, this time around, I noticed he was essentially dead even with me. We went through 3rd, then I shifted to 4th, finally around 100 I started slowly creeping away, we let off about 130 and I was less then 1 car ahead.

We coasted back down to the speed limit, and the evo rolled down it's window. It was a couple in their mid 30s, they were both grinning giving me a big thumbs up. I look at him and kind of wiped the sweat from my brow.

He yells over "That thing is loud as ****!"

I asked "What turbo?"

He replied "GT35R, I was really surprised the first run, so I turned up the wick to max, I've never lost to a Mustang on high boost. Your car's badass"

So we gave him a thumbs up and hit the turn off lane, and they waved as they went by.

It was funny in a way, he was out with his wife and came up on a Mustang Convertible, and figured it would be an easy kill and ended up getting a whipping.

Then in the second race, I made the misjudgment by giving him his race and the hit, assuming I could easily overpower him in the higher gears and finding myself banging the gears as hard as I could just to eeek out a 1/2 car lead.

All in all was a lot of fun, and a learning experience for both of us I think, you should never judge a car by it's appearance :dancenana:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Nice kill! Racing with the top down, doesn't that create alot more drag? I tried to get my local track to let me make a pass with the top down to compare traps and it didn't go over well.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
Good kill OP, close races are always the most fun! :rockon:

Nice kill! Racing with the top down, doesn't that create alot more drag? I tried to get my local track to let me make a pass with the top down to compare traps and it didn't go over well.

I was wondering this as well. I wonder how much of a difference it makes to have the top up VS down.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
nice kill, specially knowing that the evo could of easily been pushing 550-600, :beer:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that in a different situation it wouldn't have been him in the lead. I think once he turned it on to serious mode it was within driver margin of error, very nicely put together Evo, sounded quite nice as well.

BM1

Established Member
Thanks,

I don't see any reason for butt hurt, was a respectable run for the evo on high boost, both cars are 10 sec capable, seems bout right to me.

Oh I completely agree. Just some don't see it that way I guess...

Last edited:

03-dsg-gt

Established Member
Was the evo white, with cf hood, trunk and black wheels? If so that one of my buddies he always heads out torwards the bridges..

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
Oh I completely agree. Just some don't see it that way I guess...

Exactly....nothing to be butt-hurt about....def high 10 second capable with some driving...

Users who are viewing this thread