03 IRS: Speed sensitive 'clunking'

Booksix

Established Member
Ok, so I finally got my aluminum drain plug in, cover resealed but I realized I accidentally put the old pinion nut on. How do I know when to stop tightening the new nut (can't check preload cause diff is installed)?

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Ok, just so I understand, the diff is in the car and has the half shafts in it, and you need to replace the old pinion nut with the new one??

If that is the case, it is simple, because preload is set when you compressed the crush sleeve, you can just use a torque wrench to see when the nut starts to give a little, start at 180 ft/lbs and go in 10 ft/lbs increments till it just wants to start to spin and the torque wrench will not click. Then use that as you final torque value with the new one.

Or just use an impact gun to remove and then to tighten the new nut, just don't crank on it for a long time, let it tighten and hold the impact gun to it for like 3 secs. So unless you crank on it and compress the crush sleeve more, you will not change the preload.

Last edited:

Booksix

Established Member
Ahh yes, makes sense. So I can tighten with the impact without affecting the crush sleeve for the same reason you can't use an impact to initially crush it. Perfect, thanks again!!

Booksix

Established Member
Another question: should the axle circlips be replaced everytime the axles are pulled? Who sells them? Have to go straight to Ford? Any chance you have a picture of an axle with the circlip on? Thinking back I didn't see them on my axles; it wouldn't surprise me if that was another thing skipped when this guy reassembled this unit before I picked it up.

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
The circlips fit in the groove at the end of the half-shaft where it goes into the diff, I am sure you know this, they are very easy to spot.

No, they don't need to be replaced every time the half-shafts are pulled. Infact on my own cobra, I have had them in and out 20 odd times, and each time I remove them I have to get the removal tool as they are hard to remove, and I am not a small guy!!

I don't think Ford sells them seperate, if you don't have them then you will need to find a CV shop and have them cut new wire ones for you.

If you have trubble I might be able to take a set off of some inner shafts at the shop. Let me know if you need them.

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Well, I called a buddy of mine and he was able to look up in the computer and found this,
1L2Z-4B422-BACirclips (for 8.8"). Not sure if they are the right ones of if they will work. But that might be a good place to start.

Booksix

Established Member
thanks!! That's a ford number? I definitely need them (I'm about 95% sure the grooves are empty). And the axles came out pretty easy. Another problem to add to the list. Wow, do I ever wish I installed this earlier so I could nail that guy through paypal!!

Back-N-Black

Established Member
Wow, I was getting intrigued reading this, what was the final result? Everything turn out ok?

This seems to me so complicated, how does a normal person deal with it. Good for you 03SVTCOBRA10th, for being so patient and helping out.

I wish I had seen this post earlier. I was looking for someone to do my rebuild for me and your profile says South East. Did you say $100.00 to rebuild the 8.8 IRS if someone supplies the parts? That is awesome!

Booksix

Established Member
Wow, glad you brought this back because I forgot to close this topic and I HATE when people do that!

It's been a while so I had to reread the whole post but everything went great! Got the cir-clips figured out and everything buttoned back up. Gears are quiet as can be and working perfect. You're right, it does seem like a big task but read a LOT and if you're mechanically inclined and patient you can do this. I've done several more sets (other 8.8s, some jeep front and rear stuff, all different types of setups) and they've all gone well!

As for the IRS itself, it truly is a great piece, especially for this car! Once the subframe was modified to fit the car and all the misc parts built (upper shock mounts, upper spring perches, etc...) it works AMAZING! I never could have imagined the improvement I got! Thanks again 03SVTCOBRA10TH!

ps: sorry the youtube videos are gone. idk where they went!

Users who are viewing this thread