'03 IRS into '96 Cobra

tgentry

Got Boost?
Established Member
I'm about to do this swap and would like to hear from anyone with relevant experience. I'm looking for answers to the following questions as well as any other tips, tricks or suggestions from people who have been-there-done-that.

Will my '96 brake hoses work or will I need '03's?
Probably not a big deal, they need replacing anyway.

Parking brake cables?

Will the '96 driveshaft work? I also read somewhere
that the U-joint yoke had to be changed out. I know
the '03's have shorter shafts but I thought that was
related to the T-56.

What speedo gear do I need to correct for the 3.55 (I
think) gears of the '03 vs. my 3.27's?

Other than those issues, I think it should be pretty
straight forward.

cjuni

Established Member
tgentry said:
I'm about to do this swap and would like to hear from anyone with relevant experience. I'm looking for answers to the following questions as well as any other tips, tricks or suggestions from people who have been-there-done-that.

Will my '96 brake hoses work or will I need '03's?
Probably not a big deal, they need replacing anyway.

U will need the ones from the 03

Parking brake cables?

U can keep the one you have now.

Will the '96 driveshaft work? I also read somewhere
that the U-joint yoke had to be changed out. I know
the '03's have shorter shafts but I thought that was
related to the T-56.

U will need the yoke from the 03, but the d-shaft should be fine, I'm using the one from my 96.

What speedo gear do I need to correct for the 3.55 (I
think) gears of the '03 vs. my 3.27's?

This i'm not sure about, I never changed mine.....?

Other than those issues, I think it should be pretty
straight forward.

It is pretty simple, I would say all together it took about 8hr. Your going to love the ride, but I would take the time and change the bushing from the IRS. I did and it makes a big difference. Oh one more thing ABS sensors from the 03 you need those also.
And if you dont already you will need a new cat back system for your car. Last but one least, your brake line will have to be chaged you are goin to need a "T" set up. The 03's have 2 brake lines one for each side and the 96 only has one.

I have a couple pic's of my brake set up if you would like to see it just email me. I also have a stock 03 cat back system I could sell ya for a couple bucks if you need some till you get what you want........let me know if you need anything else.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

PGreenSVT

Established Member
I used an 03 cobra driveshaft and changed the yoke. Requires a different U-Joint cus the shaft and yoke are different sizes. Brake lines need to be reworked. everything else is bolt in. Oh, I also welded my rear mounts to the frame since the SN95 doesn't have the bottom holes/nuts in the frame and welded in the Mathis mod while I was at it.

PGreenSVT

Established Member
The 03 shaft fits fine. If you keep your shaft it will have to be shortened. I'd post a pic of the Mathis Mod but I don't know how to do it here.

tgentry

Got Boost?
Established Member
One more question: If you used the '03 drive shaft, with an '03 IRS why would you have to change the yoke? Or are you talking about the front yoke?

PGreenSVT

Established Member
Yes I'm talking about the yoke into the T45. It is different than the T56. send me you e-mail addr and I'll send you a couple of pics of the Mathis mod. It is something you want to do if you plan on driving it hard.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
You will need a precision u joint part #448 to make the yokes work (got mine from summitt for like $20). This is what I had to use when I swapped the T56 and 03 driveshaft into mine.

cjuni

Established Member
PGreenSVT said:
The 03 shaft fits fine. If you keep your shaft it will have to be shortened. I'd post a pic of the Mathis Mod but I don't know how to do it here.

Not really, I'm using the 96 shaft and it worked just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread