03 Half-Shafts???

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Looking to replace the half-shafts on my 01 with something that will handle a drag radial or DOT tire.

Has anybody tried using a set of 03 COBRA axles on their 01? Does Ford sell these through the racing parts catalogue? I realize GKN makes a replacement but they seem expensive. A buddy who just picked up his 03 has run Nitto-DR's with no problem (About 10 passes).

Thanks,

Bill

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I'd love to know the same thing..

But I beleive Joe Lynch on BON mentioned that it was not beefed up where it needed to be, even though it was larger.

I don't know.. I've seen some 01 guys on DR's not break anything and then I've seen some 01 guys on Street Tires break them.. Same goes for the 03. I've heard of at least 2 folks breaking them just on street tires.

For the price, I am definitely interested in the 03 SHafts.

Shawn

TcM-668

I have a set of the GNK Stage 3s for my 00 R. Unfortunately, they are installed in a separate IRS, waiting to be installed in my R.

I went with the 31 spline, and 31 spline Torsen T-2R diff.

I know of a couple other R owners that went with the stage3s and although expensive, they do seem to hold together.

I chose to go that route because I don't want to have to replace half-shafts if I don't have to.

I do suspect that the 03 axles should do fine though. I think they are close to, if not the same as the stage 3s.

Good luck...

Coop

XTreme Tech
Established Member
You can buy '03 half-shafts here. Scroll down about half way.

Still using returnless fuel setup and independent rear!
570rwhp/466tq on only 10.5 psi boost, 93 octane pump gas tune.
Official 1/4 mile: [email protected] 1.81 60' (limited only by the half-shafts)
A 10 sec capable car!

A Cobra on the surface, a Viper underneath!
side1a.jpg
engine1a.jpg
coilover1b.jpg

Exterior - larger view || -- Engine-zoom in -- ||Chassis/Suspension

Other stuff (partial list):
T-56 R&R guide tube
T-56 R&R input shaft breakage
Spring cleaning

http://www.svttexas.com

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
I broke my passenger side shaft on my first pass in my '01 and it was bone stock. Now I'm afraid to launch the car and always go from idle which I think is killing my times.

-Rick

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Coop,

Thanks for the link - Do you know anything about this e-tailer? I wonder if I could get the half-shafts from a ford dealership ( I get a good discount on parts)?

Coop

XTreme Tech
Established Member
SlvrSnke01,

I know nothing of this e-tailer. I saw the link over on Corral awhile back and saved it in case I ever decided to purchase from them. I don't know where they get their parts or how they got them so fast. Maybe this stuff is already available through a Ford dealer? I'd definitely ask a few questions of this company before placing an order.

Might want do a search over on Corral on the link. There might be some more discussion based around this business that would give you some more insight.

Users who are viewing this thread