03 Gt Mods I Need Some Ideas

BtwnSVTcobra

Banned
i'm gonna buy a GT within the next few days and i've been thinking about mods...I've decided that my only goal for this car is a 12 second daily driver that looks clean as hell....I already know i'm buying an intake (JLT inlet pipe and K&N filter) but i wanted to know what are the best tb's for this car...should i get underdrive pullies....or should i just save my money and get a centrifugal blower....anyway i just wanted to know some good opinions on startup mods

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
intake, full exhaust, headers, tune, if 5 speed go with like 4.30's or 4.56's and get some SLICKS and your good to go in the 12's. Of course those are the basic startup mods. If you want you can definitely save up for a Turbo or Supercharger. But i would recommend TURBO. Any good turbo setup will out perform a supercharger.

Last edited:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
u/d pullies are ok... not really a great mod, only reason i got them was my harmonic balancer on my stock one was shot to hell. Get full exhaust (including l/t's), gears (depending on if you stay n/a or go blown), heads, cams, tune, JLT (just to clean up the engine bay some), and maybe a TB & plenum also

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
If you dont want to spend that much try going with 100-125 shots of nitrous with good slicks.

BtwnSVTcobra

Banned
mineralgrey01gt said:
u/d pullies are ok... not really a great mod, only reason i got them was my harmonic balancer on my stock one was shot to hell. Get full exhaust (including l/t's), gears (depending on if you stay n/a or go blown), heads, cams, tune, JLT (just to clean up the engine bay some), and maybe a TB & plenum also
how much power could i make on this setup

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Ha, I remember dreaming about makin my car fast.....
Now I just want a Cobra...

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Instead of wasting a whole bunch of money & time on stupid little crap like pulleys, throttle bodies etc.....just put a procharger kit on the car or do like these guys have said and spray the bitch. I bolted every damn thing I could to my 01 gt only to get outrun by my brother's near stock 99 cobra. He laughed his ass off at me that day....he stays quiet now that I have 150+rwhp on him though, but now he's chasing corners with that car and it still moves like hell.

BtwnSVTcobra

Banned
BLOWN PONY said:
Ha, I remember dreaming about makin my car fast.....
Now I just want a Cobra...
LOL yea i know i figured i'd try to go for boltons but i really want a car with over 300 rwhp so i think i'm gonna save up for a V-2 SQ or a P1sc setup

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Either save up for a blower or do every bolton possible.

I'd reccomend full exhaust (LTs, o/r pipe, catback), JLT, professional products TB and plenum, 4.10s (3.73's if you might go FI), shifter, drag radials, MM full length subframe connectors, and LCAs.

GT_Jim

Established Member
Get some cams/valvesprings and at least 3.73's, go for a full exhaust and intake system, including the manifold. Then get it dyno tuned. If you still want a little more, get some NGK tr6 plugs, GMS coil connectors, ACCEL ignition packs, also some Steeda underdrive pullies or maybe an electric water pump along with an aluminum driveshaft and flywheel. Get some Nitto drag radials to hook it all up and keep it streetable and you will see 12's without much problem. If you need more than that, get a set of p&p heads and get a stroker shortblock.

rk_2000_Z/28

LS1 to SVT
Established Member
How deep in the 12's are you wanting to go? If you just want to scratch it (12.9-12.9) or deep (12.1-12.3)

If you just want to scratch, go with a full list of bolt-ons. Long tubes are a must, because every 4.6 I have heard with long tubes was just pure badassness! You asked about a TB, I don't know enough about Mustang aftermarket to recomend "the best", but my bud has a BBK on his and it looks great and does the job very well. I would also get a set of 4.10s with some good tires. Anything smaller (numericlly higher=physically smaller) than 4.10 may be a pain for a daily driver car.

If you want to go deep into the twelves, than forced induction is a must. You may try Nitrous (some people consider that FI). One of the good things about juice is that you can choose when to have the power and when not to, something you might keep in mind for a daily driver.

Don't let Nitrous scare you either. If it is installed properly, you have the right safety equipment (window switch, FPS switch, etc.) and a good tune it will work great for you.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
sunburned said:
Either save up for a blower or do every bolton possible.

I'd reccomend full exhaust (LTs, o/r pipe, catback), JLT, professional products TB and plenum, 4.10s (3.73's if you might go FI), shifter, drag radials, MM full length subframe connectors, and LCAs.

I have all that + a few more (-the gears) and I don’t believe I am making anywhere near 300wrhp.
I hate to be the pessimist, but without major mods, I cant see it happening, I might be wrong. All I know is I sank a assload of money into bolt-ons and am still not happy.
Good luck, though

If you hit that 300+ mark be sure to pm me or start a post so I can fallow suite...

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
GT_Jim said:
Get some cams/valvesprings and at least 3.73's, go for a full exhaust and intake system, including the manifold. Then get it dyno tuned. If you still want a little more, get some NGK tr6 plugs, GMS coil connectors, ACCEL ignition packs, also some Steeda underdrive pullies or maybe an electric water pump along with an aluminum driveshaft and flywheel. Get some Nitto drag radials to hook it all up and keep it streetable and you will see 12's without much problem. If you need more than that, get a set of p&p heads and get a stroker shortblock.

that sounds like an awful lot of work & money to make the same (or less) power as a p1sc procharger or the 2v KB kit.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
IIRC, it depends on what setup you go with (intercooled v. non; high boost/big bore or normal; polished or not; etc). You can make them pretty expensive if you go with all the bells & whistles but I would definitely say they're worth it. A lot of times I wish I had bought this for my 01 gt instead of spending the money on the cobra.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
IIRC, it depends on what setup you go with (intercooled v. non; high boost/big bore or normal; polished or not; etc). You can make them pretty expensive if you go with all the bells & whistles but I would definitely say they're worth it. A lot of times I wish I had bought this for my 01 gt instead of spending the money on the cobra.

Do you know of a site Where, I can mix and match the options for the KB and see the price?

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
BtwnSVTcobra said:
i'm gonna buy a GT within the next few days and i've been thinking about mods...I've decided that my only goal for this car is a 12 second daily driver that looks clean as hell....I already know i'm buying an intake (JLT inlet pipe and K&N filter) but i wanted to know what are the best tb's for this car...should i get underdrive pullies....or should i just save my money and get a centrifugal blower....anyway i just wanted to know some good opinions on startup mods

MOVED!:wf: :bash: :wf: :bash: :wf:

USE THE CORRECT FORUMS

sixt5

Established Member
can you put a s/c or a turbo kit on a stock car (gt in this case) and be perfectly fine? or is internal work required?

Users who are viewing this thread