'03 GT for sale... but flooded. Suggestions?

MustangMike

GR81
Established Member
My buddy is selling a '03 GT that he purchased at an auction after Hurricane Katrina... he's asking $5,000, but i'm positive I can get it for $4,000 or a little less... Anyway, has anyone ever purchased a flooded car? Rebuilding the engine/transmission won't be a problem... neither will the interior. The body is still in decent shape, all though the front bumper took light damage. Suggestions please! Thanks in advance.

wythors

Needs a bigger garage
Established Member
Even if it was fresh water, if it was submerged past the floor, the electronics are f-ed and it will probably smell like a wet dog in hot weather. It would never be right. Run away.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
It was most likely flooded with salt water. Run away from it like the cops are after you to beat you.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
It'd be a good deal if you were building a race car, but I doubt I'd want one for the street. Because it will probably stink, and the electrics are probably screwed.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Fine if your plans are stripping the piss out of it and making a race car?

It's not worth anywhere NEAR 5k IMHO! It's basically junk and needs to be COMPLETELY gone through?!?! Do you have any idea what kind of a job that is?!?!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
ManofManyStangs said:
All depends if it is salt water RUN from it

Fresh water is no big deal though

Larry
This is correct.
Salt water corrodes all electrical connections.
Fresh water usually blows the fuses and no more, after it all dries out it's good. May have to change the ECM.
It all depends for me on how long it was under. If it came from N.O. STAY AWAY!

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
don't forget bearings. only a little water can ruin them, and you won't know until they've ceased. (coming from a man who has driven in more hurricanes than I care to count)

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
This is correct.
Salt water corrodes all electrical connections.
Fresh water usually blows the fuses and no more, after it all dries out it's good. May have to change the ECM.
It all depends for me on how long it was under. If it came from N.O. STAY AWAY!

Yep. If it was from Katrina it's most likely salt intrusion and its crusher material.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
Don't walk, RUN from any flooded car. The only thing it's good for is parts. Even with fresh water there will be untraceable electrical gremlins. We had a '99 Maxima flooded from rain in Miami in 1999, a cat. 1 hurricane did allot of flood damage that year. The insurance co. refused to total the car. We got them to agree to pay what the dealer charged for the repairs to insure the correct new parts were used. It still had electrical issues for the next month that the dealer was unable to trace. Luckily the dealer gave us full book on the trade for a '00 Maxima even with their knowledge of the repairs. Again RUN from this car unless you want to sell it as parts.

6spd

Established Member
flood cars are damnn tricky. i know i guy that bought a jetta flooded and that thing constantly has electrical problems.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
my gf's parents bought a 96 v8 t-bird that was flooded and nobody knew about it until all sorts of weird corrosion problems. I would say the same thing about flood, salvage, ect. Not worth it unless you can scrap it and make money.

Users who are viewing this thread