03 Gauge cluster

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Anyone open theirs up yet?? Just currious how the green glow gauges (stock) work. Meaning, how hard would it be to change the color?? (I am thinking that blue or red would be nice) I think it would give a nice custom look to my interior. Wasn't sure how they work to begin with, if there is a clear bulb with a green film or something, or if there are just green bulbs that I could change out? anyone have an idea here?? perhaps some different color leds??

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
I will not claim I'm stating a fact here but I will speculate to the best of my knowledge.

The green glow is a product of electrons falling out of a higher orbit and releasing a photon (energy) in the process. The green color is just the frequency at which this occurs at. This is typical of glow sticks and lightning bugs (a chemical reaction), glow-in-the-dark products (excited with light or heat), tritium products (nuclear decay) and the "Indiglow" watch faces which is the most direct comparison (electrical excitation) of our gauge faces. With the exception of chemical reactions we're stuck with the green color for now. I know, I know.....:sleeping:

Last edited:

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Specifically, there are no bulbs or LED's to change. The gauge face actually "glows" like the Indiglow watch faces I referenced earlier.

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Ok, thats all I needed to know then... I was thinking of just playing with the colors, but its not that big of a deal... Thanks for the answer, I didn't realize it was the indiglo style, I was expecting just a back lighting of some sort... Thanks for the info...

Users who are viewing this thread