03 for MSRP? HOW?!?!?

rpurdy3523

Established Member
:gt:
Gentlemen,
How can one get a 2003 for MSRP? Everyone I've seen in and around Savannah,GA has been for at LEAST $3,000 over sticker. The worst I've seen is in Charleston for almost $9,000 over sticker. What do you say to the dealer? All I get is "well, this car isn't for everyone and if you don't want it someone else will pay what we want." No slack. I've had three Lightnings and my 99 was a struggle to purchase, but nothing has been like what I've seen on these 03 Cobras. The dealers are acting as if they are doing you a huge favor just letting you look at the car. Just wondering what to say and how to handle it because obviously some are going for MSRP and I want one. Thanks for the help...:shrug:

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
Just tell them to go fly a kite because you know of dealers selling them for MSRP (even if you don't). Worked for me. I even got them down $500 under sticker :thumbsup:

Uncle Snake

Established Member
Cars For MSRP

Come on up to Atlanta - Roswell to be exact, I just got mine - Mineral Grey Coupe for $ 33,140.00 on 9/12. They had the $ 5,000.00 Added Dealer Margin on the sticker but it was never discussed. I worked with their e-commerce guy and got a deal I thought was fair for both parties. E-mail me and I will give you more detail - [email protected]

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
My dealer wanted to jack mine up $5k over MSRP for a coupe. When he told me if I didn't buy, someone else would- I told them, in a nice calm voice, that I understood, and it made good business sense to sell it to the next guy and make the additional profit for the dealership, because I wouldn't pay more than MSRP, which I felt gave the dealership plenty of margin, and they would loose an additional $5k by selling it to me. When I went to get up and thanked them for their time, they then said they weren't worried about the next guy, only what I wanted (yeah right :rollseyes ) Anyway, next thing you know, they changed the price to $34,750. That's how I did it...

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
My dealer wanted to jack mine up $5k over MSRP for a coupe. When he told me if I didn't buy, someone else would- I told them, in a nice calm voice, that I understood, and it made good business sense to sell it to the next guy and make the additional profit for the dealership, because I wouldn't pay more than MSRP, which I felt gave the dealership plenty of margin, and they would loose an additional $5k by selling it to me. When I went to get up and thanked them for their time, they then said they weren't worried about the next guy, only what I wanted (yeah right :rollseyes ) Anyway, next thing you know, they changed the price to $34,750. That's how I did it...
:thumbsup:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
If you are willing to drive to NC, call Earl Tindol Ford in Gastonia. Ask for Rick Singleton and tell him Brian Hill sent you. Not only did I get mine for MSRP (4 days ago), but they didn't even TRY to get it over MSRP. They also gave me a sweetheart deal on my trade (Vette). He has a vert in last time I checked, and has a coupe and another vert on the way :)

agbulit

Established Member
i bought my 03 coupe from j.c. lewis ford in savannah ga. for msrp. i dont know when / if they will get any more in before the end of the year, but its worth a shot!

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
Originally posted by rpurdy3523
:gt:
Gentlemen,
How can one get a 2003 for MSRP? Everyone I've seen in and around Savannah,GA has been for at LEAST $3,000 over sticker. The worst I've seen is in Charleston for almost $9,000 over sticker. What do you say to the dealer? All I get is "well, this car isn't for everyone and if you don't want it someone else will pay what we want." No slack. I've had three Lightnings and my 99 was a struggle to purchase, but nothing has been like what I've seen on these 03 Cobras. The dealers are acting as if they are doing you a huge favor just letting you look at the car. Just wondering what to say and how to handle it because obviously some are going for MSRP and I want one. Thanks for the help...:shrug:

Which Chas dealership? The commandant of The Citadel went to work for one a few years back (John Mayer) after retiring. Super guy, see if he is still working (the one on hwy 17 I think) and tell him you are shocked to see Cid grads trying to commit highway robbery. ;)

Seriously, shop around and be patient. Either that or just wait them out. I refused to pay the markup on a new 01 M3 (they wanted $10k over MSRP) but someone came along and did. There will always be a fool with more money than he knows what to do with. Personally, even if I had more money than Bill Gates, I would not pay markup as a matter of principle.

Have you tried places in FL? Jacksonville is one of the largest metropolises in the world -- they probably have 10 Ford dealers and aren't too terribly far from Savannah.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
North Texas has dozens for sale at MSRP. Some dealerships are trying to go over sticker, but there are so many dealerships that all you have to do is drive another 10 minutes to one that is selling them at sticker. You could fly here, (one-way), buy one and drive it back for only a couple days of you time and a few hundred dollars so I don't know how your local dealerships think they could get away with charging that much over sticker. Just saw a yellow one and a dark shadow one come in at the dealership where I got mine and they are not asking over sticker. Just shop around. I'll bet you don't have to go to far.

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
Got my 03 for X-plan pricing here in MD $32,448 they have a black one for sticker but you definately cant go in acting like a cricket... it took some finess to get them to honor the X-plan pricing, and they gave me Kelly Blue Book "excellant" pricing for my trade (2001 Mustang GT) which took some dickering

03TRMN8R

Established Member
Myself and some others here in MI are getting them or have gotten our 03's for A Plan. IMO paying more for sticker is crazy and even un-ethical for a dealership to ask more than MSRP.

rpurdy3523

Established Member
Great info from everyone. I e-mailed JC Lewis and asked if any more snakes are on the way. The Charleston dealership with the GIANT markup is Palmetto. $43,450. Unreal. Looks like Atlanta or maybe Jacksonville will be the best bet. Please keep the advice coming. Oh yeah...Any advice on how to ease a wife into this trade seeing as how HER 2001 Mustang vert will have to be traded in:( Thanks guys Look forward to more posts.

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
Originally posted by rpurdy3523
Oh yeah...Any advice on how to ease a wife into this trade seeing as how HER 2001 Mustang vert will have to be traded in:( Thanks guys Look forward to more posts.

Let her test drive one! :-D

97cobravert

Established Member
Who have you spoken to? I have mine on order for MSRP 34,750 They have Black, Grey, Silver (should be in this week) Blue and Red hard tops scheduled to come in also 2 verts.

I have been dealing with James Noel Sales Manager @ JC Lewis I have a Buyers Purchase Order with his sig. on it.

Give him a call and don't get dicked around by some salesman.

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
Originally posted by 97cobravert
Who have you spoken to? I have mine on order for MSRP 34,750 They have Black, Grey, Silver (should be in this week) Blue and Red hard tops scheduled to come in also 2 verts.

I have been dealing with James Noel Sales Manager @ JC Lewis I have a Buyers Purchase Order with his sig. on it.

Give him a call and don't get dicked around by some salesman.

You just got me to thinking.... some lending institutions have a purchasing program where they do the negotiating for you. I did this a few years back with USAA. They call the dealership and talk to the Fleet Sales rep (bcz he is on salary, not commission) and negotiate a price. They call you with the results and you either accept or decline. Only catch is you have to finance through them. If USAA does it other banks and credit unions may as well.

97cobravert

Established Member
I walked in the front door and said I needed to talk to someone about a 03 what's the price? No probs for me.

tyler

2003 for LESS than MSRP_Austin, TX

Bring the wife to Austin, TX for a weekend visit and buy my 2003 for LESS than MSRP ! Selling due to health reasons, only one month old and only 337 miles ! Tell the wife that you are only buying a used 2003 and not a new one.
Car is 2003 Cobra coupe, white with gray leather, perfect condition, 60 year old driver who has babied car since new. Good luck ! If interested, contact tyler at [email protected]

03DOHC

Established Member
We shopped by e-mail and by phone. Asked at least 20 dealers. Took 2 1/2 days of shopping around to find one for me. Don't pay over MSRP!

rpurdy3523

Established Member
Things are looking up. Just have to sell the wife on the idea now. Suddenly dealers are being a little more reasonable. Guess it's all in the approach. Have to decide on color Sonic Blue or Redfire. What's up with Torch Red? Why did it go away?:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread