'03 Engine minus Blower = ?

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Anyone dyno an '03 engine w/o the blower to see if its close to the '99/'01 engine's 320 BHP?

Just curious if these engines are ~320 BHP + ~70 BHP from the blower, etc. etc.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
A basic calculation gives 261 hp at 6000 rpm for the 4.6L w/ 8.5:1 compression. (ref Bowling and Grippo)

Last edited:

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
So basically, if you were to run without the blower, the engine alone would make about as much power as a GT. That's interesting.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
wow, that's crazy... I thought about this the other day, what would happen if my blower broke, and I had to drive around w/o it waiting for parts to come in etc. Same as a GT, but with a lot more weight... ouch...

Brad

Banned
No worries guys, we have a blower. When it breaks, I plan on buying a bigger blower. :beer:

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by [iSEPIC]
wow, that's crazy... I thought about this the other day, what would happen if my blower broke, and I had to drive around w/o it waiting for parts to come in etc. Same as a GT, but with a lot more weight... ouch...

Actually it'd be MUCH worse than a GT, unless you took the S/C off and replaced it with a GT's manifolds. The impeller not turning would choke the engine. You'd be lucky to get 100 HP out of it w/o the blower turning. You can drive it that way though, i've seen L guys do it.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I've thought about this too. More practically minded however...if we wind up with a crunch like we did back in '74 (gulp), then I'll retrofit a NA intake from a 99/01 car and run the cheap gas...with high detergent mind you. ;-) That 8.5:1 compression should come in handy there.

Of course after it blows over I'll just throw the blower back on there and have my "real" car back.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
I've thought about this too. More practically minded however...if we wind up with a crunch like we did back in '74 (gulp), then I'll retrofit a NA intake from a 99/01 car and run the cheap gas...with high detergent mind you. ;-) That 8.5:1 compression should come in handy there.

Of course after it blows over I'll just throw the blower back on there and have my "real" car back.

If that ever happened, I would tarp the Cobra and drive my modded 2000 GT that gets over 20 MPG in the city and pushing 300 HP with bolt-ons only. It is a great daily driver to keep miles off my Cobra. Fridays are my Cobra days.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
If that ever happened, I would tarp the Cobra and drive my modded 2000 GT that gets over 20 MPG in the city and pushing 300 HP with bolt-ons only. It is a great daily driver to keep miles off my Cobra. Fridays are my Cobra days.

Thats a great idea :idea: .... makes me wish I would have kept my 2001... but I needed it to get my new snake...

So when I'm driving around (baby-ing it) w/o WOT... w/o any supercharger going... its like driving a V6 maybe? I don't know about that... it seems almost as peppy as my 2001 really... but I dunno.. just a guess. Actually, to tell you the truth, as others have said on here, I don't fee the power in the seat as I did with my 2001 w 4.10's, but after you look down (or in the mirror) at the speedo, you sure to realise it... but then again, I'm more or less babying it for now.. we'll see soon enuff :)

A's Cobra

Established Member
4.5 inch pulley, and maybe 2.xx gears, but i won't sell it or plan on parking it:burnout:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by A's Cobra
4.5 inch pulley, and maybe 2.xx gears, but i won't sell it or plan on parking it:burnout:

Right on brother. I bought the Snake as my daily driver, and I'm gonna drive it 'til the wheels fall off. I had 180,000 miles on the '95 Cobra when I sold it...at the tune of about 30-35K per year. No garage queen here...:beer:

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Actually it'd be MUCH worse than a GT, unless you took the S/C off and replaced it with a GT's manifolds. The impeller not turning would choke the engine. You'd be lucky to get 100 HP out of it w/o the blower turning. You can drive it that way though, i've seen L guys do it.

:read:
Okay, this isn't a flame, its a "I'm not knowing a lot" question...
But if the blower is running all the time, as in the blades turning, why don't I hear it, except when I get on it? Anf if its blowing all the time, and the air is going out the bypass valve, why don't I hear it? Man I'm confused... heh

I did read this >> http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm and it did talk abou a "bypass mode" but didn't say if the propellers were spinning or not... :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread