03 diff and axle into my 99-worth it?

Westcoast

Established Member
Just curious if it's worth the effort to swap a 03 diff and axle into my 99? There is a smashed 03 near me and was thinking of grabbing these parts from it(25m on it). From what I have read my 99 has 28 spline cv shafts and 3:27 gears an a 03 cobra has 31 and 3:55 gears(stock)? If this is a wise choice any idea on price to offer? And possibly other upgrades I should grab from this car? Thank again

GoatSlayer

Banned
Yes worth it and DO IT! If you can, just buy the whole irs and swap it into your car and sell your irs. If not, get also the 03 irs crossmember.

ninty9cobra

Established Member
Well worth it I blew out my rear end about 6 months ago. I upgraded and installed a 2003 Cobra carrier , axles and installed 4.10s. The front torque brace is a must if you cant purchase a oem one, Kenny Brown offers one which I also installed. It also wouldnt be a bad idea to install a Billetflow brace since the diff is out.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
31 spline is a good upgrade, but going from 3.27's to 3.55's is not worth the effort. If you're going to go to the trouble, at least put in some 4.10's+ before making the swap. If not, I wouldn't mess with it.

quikcobra

Established Member
I have been running a 99 irs for years, I havent had a any issue I went from boltons, to nitrous, then eaton swap which started at 8psi and ended at 14. So I wouldnt mess with it, other the the brace that the 03/04 has the 99 doesnt.

cmefly

Established Member
It is a great upgrade from the 99. You get better gears, a Diff brace, better axles and 31 splines. Also grab the rear shocks. You will need to either change the rear pinion flange or install the rear driveshaft yoke onto your driveline using a conversion u joint. I would think you could use the termi aluminum driveshaft it is 1 inch shorter then yours. I installed this set up in mine using the conversion u-joint.

Users who are viewing this thread