03 Corba Vs BMW Z8???

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
My dad and I have been wondering which car is faster, our Z8 or our Corba. We won't race each other so don't even suggest it. I think that the cobra would take the Z8 form a dead stop, but the Z8 will take the cobra at a roll. Anyone raced a stock Cobra and a stock Z8? Both cars are 400 horsepower cars, with the Z8 being a little lighter. The Cobra has a lot more torque.

Please do not get the Z8 confused with a Z3 or Z4. Those cars are slow and are for chicks. The Z8 is the silver one that James Bond drove.

JNY XXX

Originally posted by 03LGCOBRA
Please do not get the Z8 confused with a Z3 or Z4. Those cars are slow and are for chicks.

LOL - the above statements own. Good stuff. :beer:

Sorry, can't provide any real insight into the issue. On one occasion I messed around with a Z8 in relatively heavy traffic, so nothing really came of it. It seemed quick, although so does a Miata when it's dodging in and out of rush-hour traffic.

Wild Bill

Established Member
I've seen only three out in two years.Very rare and beautiful cars.Once I got my chance to run one with a plate that reads SUPRCAR,he wouldnt run me.Maybe he was afraid of the SUPRSNAKE j/k.I was pullied already and would have walked him I think. Stock for stock it should be a drivers race as they both run almost identical numbers in the 1/4 and mph.That does vary from mag to mag so no flames.Both are capable of high 12s stock.I think if you and your father did race(I dont see why you wont) you would be side by side from a dig.From a roll I would say cobra thanks to the instant boost.Why dont both of you go to the track?He better get a run in now before you mod lol.

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
Thanks. We don't race cause im only 17 and my dad doesn't want to set a bad example. I don't race the car has it is. I would on a track. But a 17 year old with a cobra and I get pulled over for racing, there goes any chance of insurance. And forget about the car. I'll be driving a jeep if that happens.

My dad use to race, but saw way to many bad accidents. He had the fastest car in school. A 66 olds 442, which is being restored now. People at school know that I have the Cobra, but don't want to race me. It sucks being a well brought up kid, but if it means that I get to have a Cobra at 17, i don't have a problem with it.

stang2009

Banned
lol i had an 03 as a 16 year old, got a reckless driving ticket, and now im in the 99 cobra...got my insurance dropped and loss of license for 93 days...so now as a 17 year old looking back...you are making a REAL smart decision...i wish i would have your brains, but atleast i made my mistake, and didnt kill anyone doing it...but as to your question...i think the z8 would win...thats just me though..

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
So your dad buys you a Cobra at 17 and doesn't expect you to race it? Wow....that's like going to a baseball game and keeping your eyes closed the whole game......

stang2009

Banned
why is it so hard to think that people wont race? so far he's done pretty good...give him a little respect instead of calling his dad an idiot...

03cobratech

Established Member
I dont know if you have any boltons, but with my minor boltons I would whoop a z8 like a red headed step child... :coolman: Roll or stop isnt the question, its how many cars should i give the z8?? :thumbsup:

donpablo

Established Member
Originally posted by IronTerp
So your dad buys you a Cobra at 17 and doesn't expect you to race it? Wow....that's like going to a baseball game and keeping your eyes closed the whole game......

....lol, that's like having a naked chick in your bed and just sleeping!

DP

97cobraheaven

Established Member
wow your dad must be a real nice guy to give you one of the most powerful machines on the road when you are only 17. obviously he trusts you. i was drivin an 84 pontiac fiero when i was 17, but i did have a motorcycle by the time i was 18. you are wise not to race it cause at your age, only bad things can happen

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I ran a nice silver Z8 about a year ago with ~20 rwhp less than I have now. From a stop I put maybe 1/2 car in 1st and about a car length on him in every gear after that, granny shifting on F1's. They run around a 12.9 @ 110 mph, so essentially a drivers race against a stock 03/04 Cobra.

I remember it was very quick off the line, but by 3rd gear a modded Cobra will start to walk it fairly easily.

florida03

Banned
Raced one last year with my CAI and C/B, I had over a
full car on him and pulling slightly. That car is a beauty for
sure. By the way its my uncles car and he still has issues with
me taking his candy, sorry uncy George.

Last edited:

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
My Ex girlfriends brother has a Black Z-8. He didnt know what to say after acting all cocky before we raced. He gave me a ride in it before and was like isnt this the fastest car youve rode in? I was like .....uh no! He understood after I put 3 cars on him up to 90 mph.:beer: I would say stock to stock its dead even.

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
I'll tell you that after driving both of them, the Z8 is a lot faster than you guys think. I just wanted to see what you guys all thought. The other guys just can't drive their Z8s.

larryc7777

Established Member
Originally posted by 03LGCOBRA
I'll tell you that after driving both of them, the Z8 is a lot faster than you guys think. I just wanted to see what you guys all thought. The other guys just can't drive their Z8s.

Not trying to be a DICK, but what good would it do for you to drive the Z8? If you don't race on the street, how are you going to run it hard enough to get a comparison? For that matter, you still haven't run your Cobra hard yet, have you? I'm confused.:??:

Users who are viewing this thread