03 Cobra vs. turbo imports + C5 Z06

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I stayed home from work "sick" today and decided to take a nice drive in my Cobra around 10am to take advantage of the minimal traffic, and had a few decent runs.

First I was behind a red AP2 S2000 at a light. It was lowered, had an aftermarket single exhaust, stock wheels. Looked pretty good. The license plate frame said "Try me V8". The two guys in the car we looking and pointing at me in the rear view mirror. Next to him was a yellow 997 Carrera S and a Honda Odyssey blocking the right lane. When the light turned, the 911 took off to get infront of the minivan and get on the freeway. I nailed it through the open lane, and the S2000 got on it as I was passing him. I heard a turbo spool so I was intrigued. I got up to around 70 (wide open road, 3 big lanes, no turns & no traffic) and waited for him to catch up. The passenger gave me a thumbs up, and the driver slapped his hand down. I left it in 3rd, and told him to go for it. I gave him a 1/2 car hit, and nailed it. I had a good 4 car lead by the top of 3rd, and let off. I was expecting a fly-by, but he pulled up, gave a thumbs up, and slowed & turned off.

A while later, I ran into a dude from my work, also "sick" in his Evo X MR. It's completely stock. We went from a light, and it was no contest as I put numerous lengths by the middle of 3rd, and let off at 75.

ABout 5 min later, I came upon a previous-gen STi at a light. Had an aftermarket exhaust w/Cobb sticker on the side. We went and it was close for most of 1st, then I proceeded to pull away quickly. I heard his turbo spooling loudly and a nasty BOV. He wanted a 40 roll, and that was just as bad for him. He pulled up afterwords, said my car was too quiet & heard only whine (completely stock exect for what's in sig), and took off.

Finally, as I was almost home, I came upon a gorgeous yellow C5 Z06. I've talked to this guy before, middle aged and really nice. Car is stock except for black powercoated stock wheels w/yellow pin stripe, and DUMPED. It seriously looks like a hovercraft. He usually doesn't want to race, but I always try to go as it is the only stock C5 Z06 in my area and I want to see how I compare. Well he finally bit, and at the green I got basically a 1 car jump (was at my back bumper, poor launch for him) and stayed even til shifting into 2nd, and he fell behind a bit more, and I pulled some until shifting into 3rd, and he fell a bit more. He was pulling a tiny bit through 3rd, but we were coming up to some lights and let off, roughly 85-90.

All in all it was fun drive. :banana: I get all the imports, but I though the Z06 should take me stock for stock. Does this result sound correct or is the driver mod (and tires that can handle my power level) worth that much?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sounds like a good day, nice kills.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Nice kills. I finally got to run an Intake/Exhaust/tune 03 Redfire Cobra in my STi the other day. From a dig I blew him out of the water and he was about 3 back to 80 and we both shut down. From a 40 roll I fell about a bumper behind though 60mph and he kept walking.

CobraKid04

Established Member
nice kills..ur lucky the turbo s200 wasn't pushin serious boost or you would have been way back....If the z could drive and had better tires like yours im sure it would have been more interesting.

good kills non the less...i never see anything that wants to play when im out.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Thanks guys. Yes it was a fun outing. I guess all the people who want to play are just out when I'm usually at work!

nice kills..ur lucky the turbo s200 wasn't pushin serious boost or you would have been way back....If the z could drive and had better tires like yours im sure it would have been more interesting.

Oh I know, I'm not cocky about any of those wins. Except the Evo, I'll be a prick about that since the guy thinks it the fastest ****ing car on the planet. I overheard him saying he kept up with a C6 Z06. :nonono: I expected more from the S2000, especially with that plate frame. And as I said, the Z was surprising.

black03kbcobra

Flawless Victory!
Established Member
Dude you had more races in one day than I've had in the past couple years. Granted I don't drive my car near as much as I use to when I first bought it. Seemed like when I was just full bolt ons and pullied I had someone next to me wanting to race as soon as I sat in the car, but now if I'm in it I never see anyone or they are all going in the opposite direction. Nice kills. Think the Z may have closed the gap on you if you kept going through 4th. A kills a kill though :beer:.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Nice kills. If the Z was on stock tires, then he would have traction issues, the stock Goodyears suck bad!! Regardless nothing like a few runs to make you feel better :)

19935.slow

Established Member
s2k couda been on some low boost. Now everyone rides around in kill mode. My car traps 125 on some days and 109 others. Depends if I got my bottle open or shut.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
@ Quik Z06

Oh absolutely. If you don't have the proper traction or driver mod, then it doesn't matter which car is ACTUALLY faster (the Z06).

@black03kbcobra

Ya, the way it was going, it looked like he would be even with me part way through 4th, as we all know the Vette's aero would have obliterated me at the triple digit point.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
s2k couda been on some low boost. Now everyone rides around in kill mode. My car traps 125 on some days and 109 others. Depends if I got my bottle open or shut.

Or it could have just been slow. :-D

ITRIEDEL

Established Member

:whine:

blah blah blah.... and if his cobra was pushing more serious boost he would of still been way back...gtfo..

nice kills man awsome kills for 1 day

Users who are viewing this thread