'03 Cobra vs Sprayed SS 1LE

Sick03Vert

Banned
So yesterday I was visiting some friends in Tijuana after work. I make quite a few trips to Mexico these days. :D

Anyway, on my way back I am driving along an open four lane highway. It's about 7:30 so traffic is really light. I come up the entrance ramp and in the distance I see this white 5th gen Camaro. I don't think much of it, as I see those everywhere.

So I get on and start minding my own business when all of a sudden I hear some really, really loud exhaust. I look to see where it is coming from. That same white Camaro was doing a WOT pull for no apparent reason up ahead. At this point I'm a good 1/2 mile or more back, so I had a quick mental debate on whether or not to try and catch up. About that time an SUV passed me hauling some serious ass, so I figured what the hell...ducked in behind it and tried to catch the Camaro. Eventually I did manage to get up behind him just as the SUV I was following decided to duck off the highway. I could instantly tell it was a 1LE from the black spoiler and black hood, plus quad exhaust. With no other traffic around, I pull up next to him. He's doing the usual "I don't see anything" move, staring straight ahead. I wanted to let him know I was there, so I downshifted to third. Finally, he looks over with this "Yeah, whatever..you have no chance in hell" look and downshifts. I'll say this....his car was loud as shit and sounded really good.

I wave to him to try and let him know I just want a friendly run. He signals "On three" and I thumbs up him. I drop to second gear and wait. When he hits three, I nail it. At this point I should add that I HATE driving my car hard because I feel like it's damn near spousal abuse. :( BUT, this was a Camaro so...it's gotta happen. Fortunately for me, I got this thing called traction that I'm not used to...thank you Nitto...and instantly pulled half a car. Right at 6500 RPM, slammed into third and again...no wheel spin. This allowed me to finish pulling a car. I ran it through the top of third and was up by about 1 1/2 to 2 cars.

As I slow back down, I see him on the brakes and I know he's going to want another run. I drop to third and as he rolls up next to me, I look over to see him mouthing something. Between our exhausts, I couldn't hear shit. So I upshifted to quiet mine down, as did he. Finally I get what he is saying. "Bottle! Let me get my bottle right!" :bored:

At this point, I'm going to pause this story and point something out. My nuts have been held to the fire lately by many members on here because I don't feel nitrous is the same as a turbo or supercharger. They disagree fiercely. So what I want to point out is, I never asked the guy "Hey, could you maybe pull over for an hour or so while I bolt up my Eaton? That'd be great." Same my ass.

Now, these same people will tell you that I've openly stated I don't run nitrous cars. They've also told me that, if I ever did, I'd get raped. So I decided **** it, lets see what happens. I nod to him and cruise next to him for about half a mile while he dicks with some things in his car. FINALLY, he gives me the thumbs up.

This time, I decided to honk it. I tell him "On 3" and he gives me the thumbs up. Yeah....on the first honk, he lays into it...then lets out. I have to admit, I giggled a bit...intimidated much? ;-)

Once we line up again, I honk it off and he leaves a tad early....call it 2 1/2. Now, I am on my damn game this time because I'm sick of all the shit I've heard for weeks now and I want to see just how bad I'm about to get raped, apparently. As I hit third, I pulled even with him and I see some grey smoke coming from his exhaust, which is now INCREDIBLY loud. All the way through third...dead. nuts. even. Normally, that's where I let out, but this race was important to me so at 6500 RPM I shifted to fourth and stayed in it all the way to the top of fourth, where I had him by maybe a fender length.

Closest race I've ever had. The guy signaled me to take the next exit. So I did, and we pulled into a gas station to check out each other's cars.

He claims his mods were long tubes, tune, exhaust, intake, "other small stuff", and a 75 wet shot on the second run. He was pretty pissed when he found out I didn't have a Kenne Bell under the hood. We complimented each other and went our own ways. RARE for a Chevy and Ford guy. I will say though, it was clear we both had a lot of fun because when I first rolled up on him, he was all gangster leaning and acting like a badass. By the time we were talking, he was laughing and being a generally cool person. So that was good.

All in all, it was the closest race I've had in the car. And it also proved my point. Off the bottle, sprayed cars are at a MAJOR disadvantage. And since it isn't an "always on" power adder, it is NOT the same as a turbo or blower.

To be clear, before the usual team comes in, it wasn't cheating because he told me about it and I ran him anyway.

So that's my story. I was super happy with the way my car ran. :rockon:

Almost forgot...

*Cliffs - 03 Cobra mods in sig vs modded SS 1LE. On motor, Cobra by 1 1/2 - 2 cars. 75 shot on 1LE = Cobra by a fender.

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Good kill.

Lets get this shit show rolling!

:beer:

LOL@"shit show".

I'm REALLY curious to see what TexasStang, Tezz, and SVTKidd have to say since all three said my car would NEVER, EVER beat a nitrous car on ANY amount of spray. EVER. Period.

I'm literally on pins and needles to hear the excuses from those three as to how or why this happened. Literally.

And to be clear, I NEVER said I would beat a nitrous car...but those three were 500% positive I would lose, NO MATTER THE CAR, NO MATTER THE SHOT SIZE.

I'm also not normally pompous about a win, and I was very cool with the Camaro owner, as he was with me. Which really made me stop and think because here we were, the iconic Chevy Camaro vs Ford Mustang battle having just taken place, and this dude was being more civil with me than SOME of my fellow Ford owners on this site. Sad day.

So, I'm waiting. :pop:

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Good kill! Was it you that said you would NEVER race a car using nitrous? Can't remember.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
:beer:

LOL@"shit show".

I'm REALLY curious to see what TexasStang, Tezz, and SVTKidd have to say since all three said my car would NEVER, EVER beat a nitrous car on ANY amount of spray. EVER. Period.

I'm literally on pins and needles to hear the excuses from those three as to how or why this happened. Literally.

And to be clear, I NEVER said I would beat a nitrous car...but those three were 500% positive I would lose, NO MATTER THE CAR, NO MATTER THE SHOT SIZE.

So, I'm waiting. :pop:

To be fair you did say you'd never race a N20 car......

Sick03Vert

Banned
Good kill! Was it you that said you would NEVER race a car using nitrous? Can't remember.

Yes sir that was me. :beer:

And thanks!

To be fair you did say you'd never race a N20 car......

Yes sir you are also correct. :beer:

However, to also be fair to me, since I've been a member on here I have never made my car out to be any more than it is...a ported, pullied Cobra. It is NOT the end all, be all. It is NOT the fastest car out there, on here, or probably even in my neighborhood. I'm very humble about my car and you won't see me posting anything about how great it is, etc.

BUT these guys picked a particular bone with me....and straight up told me that I would get obliterated running a nitrous car...so I decided what the hell, let's see if they are right. And....they were not.

So basically, two SmackDown threads full of bitching later, here's real world proof that my car CAN beat a nitrous car. I openly admit the 5th Gen is heavy. I also openly admit that a 75 shot is a small time deal.

BUT...nitrous is nitrous, and I was told I simply could not win. And I did. :coolman:

Prototype007

Established Member
Good kill OP!

As for this part
This time, I decided to honk it. I tell him "On 3" and he gives me the thumbs up. Yeah....on the first honk, he lays into it...then lets out. I have to admit, I giggled a bit...intimidated much?

I'd say he was hitting the system real quick to make sure it's working or purging threw the motor. Reduces lag time when you first turn on a bottle and there is air in the lines or any type of moisture.

Still don't understand your theory that this is a disadvantage.
And it also proved my point. Off the bottle, sprayed cars are at a MAJOR disadvantage. And since it isn't an "always on" power adder, it is NOT the same as a turbo or blower.

I look at Nitrous as a bonus of what my car already runs on motor, but it's whatever. You really try too hard to make Nitrous out to be a terrible thing.

So that's my story. I was super happy with the way my car ran.

You should be.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
OP be like….

08d1780356deb9e2c184ac0a174287de3312c4bbb460499a41b67eb3a5dbed8e.jpg

Sick03Vert

Banned
Good kill OP!

Thanks! :beer:

As for this part

I'd say he was hitting the system real quick to make sure it's working or purging threw the motor. Reduces lag time when you first turn on a bottle and there is air in the lines or any type of moisture.

I didn't think about that. You're probably right though.

Still don't understand your theory that this is a disadvantage.

I just see it as a disadvantage because without the bottle, the car wasn't nearly as fast as it was with it. Now, true...you could say the whole "without the blower" argument, and you'd be right...BUT...I had my power adder for both races. He had his for one. If I hadn't been in such a "generous" (more like curious) mood, I could have made one run and he never would have gotten the second run to show what his car could do on the spray. Hopefully that makes sense.

I look at Nitrous as a bonus of what my car already runs on motor, but it's whatever. You really try too hard to make Nitrous out to be a terrible thing.

That's your opinion. I can totally respect that. :beer:

You should be.

Thanks again!

OP be like….

08d1780356deb9e2c184ac0a174287de3312c4bbb460499a41b67eb3a5dbed8e.jpg

:lol: Nice.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Good kill. A bit surprised you only beat him by 1.5-2 cars before nitrous, was expecting a bigger pull.

Users who are viewing this thread