03 cobra vs procharged SRT8

Camcobra1989

Established Member
So I was out tonight at a little gathering with some friends and everyone's talking and trying to set up some races and I usually don't race just because I don't wanna kill myself or go to jail lol but than someone says whos cobra is that and of course my cocky self says mine and the guys like you wanna run me. His car is 2009 300c SRT8 with cams and alot of others plus procharged. The thing sounded damn good. Anyways I let him pick the races. He wanted a 35 and a 60. So first race he honks. I pull instantly and put about 5 cars on him to about 140. We do another 35 pull and same thing but the top of 4th for me my windshield got sprayed with coolant :/ lol and so I stopped obviously. I can't figure out why it keeps doing it when I run her hard. I got an aftermarket resevoir I thought would fix the problem but it didn't so I put in a reische thermostat and I thought that fixed the problem because it didn't do it for awhile but it just happened again. Any ideas why???? And ill post the videos as soon as my buddy sends me them

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Good Run!! Would be nice to know his power numbers to put things into perspective.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
I can't figure out why it keeps doing it when I run her hard. I got an aftermarket resevoir I thought would fix the problem but it didn't so I put in a reische thermostat and I thought that fixed the problem because it didn't do it for awhile but it just happened again. Any ideas why???? And ill post the videos as soon as my buddy sends me them

More than likely your intercooler pump has died and your blowing the coolant out of its reservoir not your rad. If your radiator was the one burping coolant you would know, as the car would be overheating. As is there are plenty of write ups on how to test your intercooler pump. I would take care of that ASAP as it will drive your IATs through the roof and then your motor, especially if you're doing back to back high speed runs.

Camcobra1989

Established Member
Well the coolant is coming out of the coolant resevoir not the intercooler one. It only does it when I'm hard on the car and after it does it I let it cool and check the coolant and it's low in the resevoir and it's dry in the crossover tube so I refill and burp the system. I've had to do it a few times. And I just replaced the thermostat. Am I possibly just not burping the system properly? And like I said it only happens when I'm hard on the car. It's getting quite annoying

mike.b

Established Member
Well the coolant is coming out of the coolant resevoir not the intercooler one. It only does it when I'm hard on the car and after it does it I let it cool and check the coolant and it's low in the resevoir and it's dry in the crossover tube so I refill and burp the system. I've had to do it a few times. And I just replaced the thermostat. Am I possibly just not burping the system properly? And like I said it only happens when I'm hard on the car. It's getting quite annoying

i had this same problem, only under spirited driving it would overheat/force coolant out the cap.....ended up being a slight break in the head gasket for me. not fun, hope its a simpler fix for you!

good runs, the LX cars are nice, just too damn heavy to be a serious competitor without dropping some weight or adding tons of power.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Damn 5 cars on a cammed procharged srt8 300C with other mods also, and you have a 2.2 KB cobra? I might be mistaken but I
ASSUME that car makes a good deal over 600rwhp. I wasnt there so good kill. Ready to watch vids though.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
He said he was making 607rwhp and 570tq

Damn seems kinda low to me. Not taking anything away from you but with having a cam and other mods plus a blower, Those numbers look low to me, again nice kill though. :beer: I know numbers dont mean everything but just for the sake of bench racing so to speak hahahaha.

Oh yeah, he didn't stand a chance with y'all at the same power level. Good Kill:beer:

Doesnt that seem a bit low to you though? :shrug:

Camcobra1989

Established Member
He was only running 8psi. I believe that's why his numbers weren't higher. I thought they should've been higher too before he told me how much boost he was running

Sequim Snake

Established Member
Pushing coolant like that sounds like a leak in the head gasket to me. Happened once to me on an old car :bash: cheap in parts, a pita in instal :(

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Doesnt that seem a bit low to you though? :shrug:

It sounds like the guy is on stock bottom end still so the numbers make sense. Saw a cam SRT8 Charger on another forum and it make like ~450 so another 150 from a blower on low boost/stock bottom end seems ok to me. maybe someone with more experience can correct me if im wrong.

rizjan67

Established Member
Good kill,,I had that same problem in my previous terminator it was ok in normal driving but when I go hard on higher rpm,s coolant was spraying on winshield and gets on different spots under the hood,,I got it checked by performance shop and it was inter cooler pump went bad,,so just change that and it should solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread