03 cobra vs. new Chevys

raiders03

Banned
Just wondering if any of you found any new Cameros or Vettes on the road yet. Kind of wondering how the 03 Cobra is doing in stock form against them.

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
I've run into a couple including a newer C5 and an '02 SS (friend of mine.) Believe it or not, the SS seemed closer than the C5. Neither car could stay with me for any length of time. I suspect the C5 was bone stock and didn't know what he was up against. The SS was fairly stock (only exhaust) and definitely knew what I had. From 0 to just shy of 100 pulled about 4-5 lengths on both of them. Not a really scientific answer, but that has been my experience. No real mods on my car other than the 0945 K&N and removal of the silencer.

As stated in another thread, I think the word is slowly getting out about the '03s and what they're capable of.
Cheers!
Pete

Brad

Banned
I have run into a few ls1 cars since I picked up the cobra. I try not to speed on public roads, but sometimes that can't be helped. The 03 pulls a stock Ls1 fairly easy, it will pull a base c5 as well. A z06, well, youll need some mods to be pulling one of those, nothing a chip/pulley won't fix:D

CobraTone

Established Member
Yea, I read in Road and Track that the camaros pretty much aren't even competition with the '03 and it will give the Z06 a run for it's money.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I've pulled several new SS's and Z28s at the track but haven't seen a single vette show up yet. The Z's were running high 14's, SS's low 14's - high 13's. So either they're sloooow or I haven't come across a decent driver yet.

bender460

Established Member
A good friend of mine has a 99 Vette C5 6speed hard top. With a G-Tech I am always .6 to .7 tenths faster every time. And he can drive very well. He is slightly moded (blackwing air cleaner and mass air flow senser).His best is 13.20 mine is 12.52. That was with my stock exhaust. And elivation of 3200' (nice cool night). We will try this weekend with my exhaust on.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I haven't run any either, but keep in mind that there are no "new" F-Bods so if you run into one, they've had an extra year to mod. Many are in the mid 12's or lower so there should be some good races.

shoguy

postwhore in training
Established Member
ive heard that teh 03 can kill any chevy except the z06 stock for stock

GOGO-03

Established Member
Originally posted by p3pete
I've run into a couple including a newer C5 and an '02 SS (friend of mine.) Believe it or not, the SS seemed closer than the C5. Neither car could stay with me for any length of time. I suspect the C5 was bone stock and didn't know what he was up against. The SS was fairly stock (only exhaust) and definitely knew what I had. From 0 to just shy of 100 pulled about 4-5 lengths on both of them. Not a really scientific answer, but that has been my experience. No real mods on my car other than the 0945 K&N and removal of the silencer.

As stated in another thread, I think the word is slowly getting out about the '03s and what they're capable of.
Cheers!
Pete

:D So p3pete despite the weight of our verts we can still beat stock ss camaros and c5's ??

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
Z06 vs 03 Cobra

:coolman: While driving to the Fun Ford meet in Ennis last weekend, about 5:00 am, I encountered a Z06. The guy in the vette started slowing down and downshifting, so I did the same. At this time of day there is no one in sight on the freeway in West Texas. At about 35 mph he punches it...so do I. I immediately put about 1 1/2 on him and continued to pull about 8 to 9 on him to 6500 in 6th. Not sure how fast, but the needle was well past the last number. Fortunately for me, the vette decides to back out, since the Diablo chip was improperly programed with a 6500 redline. I was impressed at how the Cobra was still pulling hard when I hit the rev limiter. Even though I have socks older than most of the people driving these cars, I still Love the adrenaline rush the car creates!

William
'03 Cobra
a few minor mods...
'00 ZX12R
also a few minor mods...

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Gogo-03,
Yep, that has been my experience. Stock C5's and SS's are no problem. A heavily mod'ed one might be a different story. My buddy who's got the SS is looking at heads and cams so he will get faster soon. I haven't come across a ZO6, but then again - I usually don't pursue street races. Just about every time I've run with someone, it's because they thought they might beat on a mustang for kicks. I guess they think that there's a V6 under there. Imagine their surprise...
Cheers!
Pete

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by shoguy

Debatable....

But whos's stock anyway? (I mean other than me)
:D

genus5033

Established Member
I've managed to take out two Z06's here in east Austin on Hwy.71 out past Smithville. So far, they've been my best competition and it was close......REAL close. But then, no one remembers second place do they! I did however have my A$$ handed to me by a Viper Venom on the same stretch of road though I was killing him.......until he got traction and then.....I've run across several C5's and SS's. No contest.

Hwy.71 is one of two main roads between Houston and Austin so I get to see quite a few hot cars. There was also this Ferrari 360 Modena who wasn't sure WHAT it was that smoked him and he pulled into the gas station behind me. First time I think I ever impressed a Ferrari owner! especially with a "lowly" Ford.

Mowgli

Established Member
How are we doing vs Camaros and vettes? Here ya go:

Me:

9-0 vs stock fbods (various)
2-0 vs modded SS's
1-0 vs c5
1-0 vs non-2002 z06

0-1 vs LS1 powered 2nd gen RX7

How's that?

:)

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by shoguy

Correction, make that the 2002 z06 with the 405hp engine. I've taken the earlier version - although I think I outdrove him, not the car. But I wouldn't roll over for a z06.

Last edited:

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
Re: How are we doing vs Camaros and vettes? Here ya go:

Originally posted by Mowgli
LS1 powered 2nd gen RX7

:eek: Holy Moly! Talk about a hybrid!

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
I havent found an F body or C5 to run me; they see me but never pick a race but a 99 an up GT was chasing me all over the freeway form 55 roll with me in fourth gear I beat pretty bad many bus lenght; he did a fly by.

46stang

Established Member
RDSZ: have you got the 03 dynoed at mms yet? Those guys are real cool!
Leon

Last edited:

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
46STANG no I havent had the chance to get my car dyno with morgan; yes they are pretty cool, I wanted to get a 383 stroker from them for my camaro but decide to get a Cobra instead. A Cobra makes a lot of power as you know so it was a better choice instead of spending some more money on the Z.

Users who are viewing this thread