'03 Cobra vs Modded C4 Corvette

Sick03Vert

Banned
So I was cruising along the Mexican highway last night on my way home from going to Tijuana for some authentic Mexican cuisine and a sombrero.

As I'm entering the deserted highway (it really was deserted...1a.m.) I see a C4 Corvette driving along. I can hear it as it goes by...loud exhaust. I'd guess long tubes, no cats, and a single chamber setup. Right as I get on the highway, he takes off. Thus begins that mental debate of chase or no. My right foot decides to interrupt my brain and mash itself to the floor, ending the discussion.

As I pull alongside him, he decides to take off again. I despise the "Chase is a Race" ricer crap, so I let him go. He obviously notices I'm not taking the bait, so he slows back down and I pull up alongside again.

I signal for him to slow to 40, but he wants 60. I figure ok...whatever. Not ideal, but screw it. However, the second I downshift he takes off. I shift up and wait for him to get back alongside again, figuring one more chance to get shit right or I'm just going to go on my way.

This time, he actually decides to wait for me to honk it. On three, we both nail it. Unfortunately for me, even at 60, traction control kicked in and totally killed me. I just watched him walk about two cars out...of course I let out when I realized my mistake.

So, flipped the TC off and caught back up. He gives me a thumbs up like I actually tried. L.O.L. I holler at him to give me a 40 run now, and he obliges. We both shift down and again I honk it off. This time, I have my shit together. I instantly put a 1/2 - 1 car on him and shift to third. That's when I realize my 555's are going to be little bitches and not hook. I spin'em, and the ass end tries to get out of shape but I stay in it and wrestle the car straight. Shifting to fourth, I have him by 2-3 cars. Again, my tires spin (Son of a bitch! :mj:) as I shift up, but I stay in it and keep her straight. I let out at 120ish...4-5 cars on him.

He comes up next to me and gives me a thumbs up, which I return. Then he signals for one more....so I oblige.

We go again from 40....this time to around 130ish. Same results as before...5-6 cars this time I got him by. We exchanged thumbs up and went on our own separate ways.

It was cool to see a Vette guy in his early 20's who wasn't a total asshole. Definitely the exception to the rule.

Anyway, that's my story...it was fun...except for the lack of traction on my damn near new tires. Shit.:cuss:

*CLIFFS: C4 Corvette with unknown mods. 1st race, Cobra had traction control issues. 2nd and 3rd race from 40-120ish...Cobra by 5-6 cars approximately. Nitto 555's hate humidity...apparently.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Good Kill!

Do you need tires or do they suck that bad?

I just bought these MAYBE 3 months ago....if that. And already they are slipping. I don't even drive them that hard. In fact, this was only the second time I've really put them to the test. The first time went well (tires had maybe 300 miles on them.) This time, with approximately 1200 miles on them, it was a spin fest. :shrug:

Oh well...STILL better than the Nexen's that were on the car when I bought it. :)

Regular 555's suck with a passion. I have a set, and make less power than op and I can't hook in 2nd. Sometimes even third gets a little hairy...

I'm beginning to see that as well. I was told they were really good for a DD with around my power level by a few guys that run them. However, while they do look nice, I am so far slightly disappointed in their performance.

Good kill sounds like you were so caught up with him getting his shit together you forgot about your own. Either way good kill

Haha...well honestly you're right. I figured he was just going to take off again and that would be that, but when he decided to actually run I completely forgot to turn the TC off. My mistake, no denying that.

Thanks for the replies guys. :beer:

zacmustang03

Established Member
I'm in the 530 - 545 range.

Mods are:

Bassani Full Exhaust
Billetflow 2.76" pulley setup
JLT Next Gen intake
Jon Lund tune
105mm MAF
Steggy Ported Eaton

Thats good numbers I have the same kinda set up and I run 325 mickys and boy do they hook. And they last im quite suprised if your not doin burnouts everywhere they will last a good while

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
It was cool to see a Vette guy in his early 20's who wasn't a total asshole. Definitely the exception to the rule.

Well you're spot on. I just bought a C5 a month ago... seems everyone either expects an old guy til' they see me and then they assume I'm a douce lol.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Ya I am happy a friend of mine has a cobra as well he went nitto said there good but double the price of the mts and dont get that much more life out of them.

I'm curious to see what the life span of these tires is actually. I might be going with something different when these are done. Maybe I will jump to the MT's. :-D

Well you're spot on. I just bought a C5 a month ago... seems everyone either expects an old guy til' they see me and then they assume I'm a douce lol.

LOL I hear you. I had a C5....miss it as it was fun, but mine turned out to have been flooded so after a month of trying to fix it and make it right the dealership bought it back from me. :(

I have been eyeballing the C5Z's lately. The upside to the Corvette being owned by old guys is that there's no shortage of low-mileage examples. :-D

Congrats on your purchase. :thumbsup:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice kill. Pretty stout hp numbers, are you running e85? Have your tried the R888's? I've been getting pretty good traction in 2nd gear with mine.

Spudz

Established Member
x2...On a serious note..."mod'd C4 with unknown mods" hangs with 530whp Cobra? C4's are slow ass turds...sick03vert aka king of underwhelming kill stories lol

I thought it was a good kill story :shrug:

Don't you run in the 430whp range with your underwhelming car? I seem to remember that data being in your sig. What happened to it?

On topic: Good kill OP. Unfortunate about the tires, but at least you know where your weakest point currently is with the car.

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
Good Kill Op. Bad choice on tires. Doubt even a H/C LT1 C4 M6 would be any type of a challenge for a Cobra with your mods, let alone a possible bolt on only.

Users who are viewing this thread