03 Cobra vs M6

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
My car is 3625lbs with 4 gallons of fuel and me in it. I had more fuel than that, so my weight was about 3660lbs.

If this guy was 200lbs his weight would be about 3925lbs if he had a full tank or less than full but had some work stuff (papers, suitcase, golf clubs?) For all I know he had another 200lbs in his trunk. Or not.

Assuming 460 at the crank my power to weight was 7.95, his 9.93 in standard mode, or 7.77 if he has five minutes to put it in "power" mode. If he had 200lbs of stuff in there or a passenger I didn't see due to his very dark tint he'd be at 8.16 in "power" mode. I probobly have more torque than his 5.0 NA motor, I guess?

So, either he was hauling stuff or a passenger or he didn't have time to get his car "ready" because of it's crummy interface. And if that is the case, why didn't he get it right and then try me again??

Me and my car were faster than him and his that day thats the bottom line! I'll take it!

9746C

Last edited:

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
I don't doubt the fact you beat him. It's the distance in the time scale that doesn't add up. It would be physically impossible to put that much space between you in only 30mph increase against such a fast car.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
I don't doubt the fact you beat him. It's the distance in the time scale that doesn't add up. It would be physically impossible to put that much space between you in only 30mph increase against such a fast car.

Whatever. The time it took was the time to get from about 70 to 100mph.

And I had three or four car lengths on him.

9746C

audioqueso

Established Member
I have that video from Car and Drive that I will rip and post it here where they reviewed all the new M-series. The M6 went from 80 or 90 to 194 on the Autobahn with the greatest of ease. That bitch is crazy fast! 03 Cobras can be built into monsters, but the M-series are definitely not easy to beat at high-speeds. The new M6 has the same power option in the US with the exception of the top speed limiter. With a 7-speed tranny... 4 cars length?... I think it's BS, but you can all be the judge of that.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
So we got a few here that don't see how a 3625lb car with maybe 460 hp will pull on a @ 3925lb car with 395hp? (assuming he wasn't in "M" mode or whatever)

Whateva!

9746C

distortion

Established Member
I think you are mistaken.. what doesn't make sense, is the fact that you pulled 3 cars on him at 70-100 mph. You guys accelerate very slowly at those speeds.. so in order for you to pull 3 cars on him from 70-100mph, you would have to be like insanely faster than him.

In other words..you pulling 3 cars from him over the whole 1/4 mile is like 3 or 4 tenths faster.. pulling 3 cars from 70-100 (a couple of second race), means you are insanely faster. Ie. he's running mid-high 14's, and you run 12's or something to that effect.. those aren't exact numbers, but it's the idea that is hard to believe... not a specific #.

Now from 20-100 that'd be highly possible.

Later,
Josh

SCM3

Established Member
9746Cobra said:
So we got a few here that don't see how a 3625lb car with maybe 460 hp will pull on a @ 3925lb car with 395hp? (assuming he wasn't in "M" mode or whatever)

Whateva!

9746C

Come on buddy..its not all about power-to weight...
Gearing is a huge advantage, and your gears are terrible on your terminator's. You guys have to shift so early. I have raced many before and i have only won a couple of races due to gearing and my redline.
IE they would have to shift and i would would still be boosting for another 2k rpm's pulling harder..And the M6 has better gearing than i do. And u still couldnt put 3-4 cars in 30mph.....

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
SCM3 said:
Come on buddy..its not all about power-to weight...
Gearing is a huge advantage, and your gears are terrible on your terminator's. You guys have to shift so early. I have raced many before and i have only won a couple of races due to gearing and my redline.
IE they would have to shift and i would would still be boosting for another 2k rpm's pulling harder..And the M6 has better gearing than i do. And u still couldnt put 3-4 cars in 30mph.....

I dont want to start a pissing match with you.. but your gearing is a bit shorter. Obviously you have another 1500 RPM on top to make up for it, but the Cobra has more torque to pull through the gears. I wouldn't call Terminator gearing terrible. I've driven N/A M3s and the gearing feels much shorter, and you definately have to wind the motor up to make some power, and are doing more shifting to keep the car in the powerband. I'm sure your S/C car is better in that respect.

Cobra T56 - 1st 2.66, 2nd 1.78, 3rd 1.30, 4th 1.0, 5th 0.8, and 6th 0.63, Final 3.55

M3 - 1st 4.23, 2nd 2.53:1, 3rd 1.67:1, 4th 1.23:1, 5th 1.00:1, 6th 0.83:1, Final 3.62

Ashley

Last edited:

SCM3

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I dont want to start a pissing match with you.. but your gearing is a bit shorter. Obviously you have another 1500 RPM on top to make up for it, but the Cobra has more torque to pull through the gears. I wouldn't call Terminator gearing terrible. I've driven N/A M3s and the gearing feels much shorter, and you definately have to wind the motor up to make some power, and are doing more shifting to keep the car in the powerband. I'm sure your S/C car is better in that respect.

Cobra T56 - 1st 2.66, 2nd 1.78, 3rd 1.30, 4th 1.0, 5th 0.8, and 6th 0.63, Final 3.55

M3 - 1st 4.23, 2nd 2.53:1, 3rd 1.67:1, 4th 1.23:1, 5th 1.00:1, 6th 0.83:1, Final 3.62

Ashley

You have alot more torque...Yes our motor's thrive between 5500-8k.. My SC brings my gearing and redline to much more of an advantage then NA. When i drove a cobra i just thought that i had to shift to much to get high in the mph's. Like i was really starting to pull hard then i would have to shift.

SCM3

Established Member
Girth said:
Dont know for sure, I barely edged one on the freeway though. With my mods, these cars usually trap about 118-120.

Wow i didint know your setup could hit 120..It takes about 119 to put a car length or 2 on an M6 from a roll from what i have seen.

SoonToBeASnake

Established Member
SCM3 said:
Wow i didint know your setup could hit 120..It takes about 119 to put a car length or 2 on an M6 from a roll from what i have seen.

I dont know if I'll be able to take out a new M6 with what I have now, what I ran was a new M5, and it was really close, never said I stomped a M6, or even an M5, just edged one out, it was a sweet run. I need more mods though, I have had the Pulley for a year now and I definitely have gotten used to the car, you know how that goes :lol:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
SCM3 said:
You have alot more torque...Yes our motor's thrive between 5500-8k.. My SC brings my gearing and redline to much more of an advantage then NA. When i drove a cobra i just thought that i had to shift to much to get high in the mph's. Like i was really starting to pull hard then i would have to shift.

Do you know what mods the car had that you drove? I thought the same about the M3 when I drove it. While the gearing is not as short as say an STI, it definately felt shorter than the Cobra.

Stock for stock by the looks of the gearing, the M3 would be a gear higher than a Cobra and the end of the 1\4.

Ashley

SCM3

Established Member
Girth said:
I dont know if I'll be able to take out a new M6 with what I have now, what I ran was a new M5, and it was really close, never said I stomped a M6, or even an M5, just edged one out, it was a sweet run. I need more mods though, I have had the Pulley for a year now and I definitely have gotten used to the car, you know how that goes :lol:

Yes i know..im at the end of the road...If i boost anymore i put my motor in jeapody. So my next setup is a built motor with lower comprression...Edging out an M5 is a great kill...i wish i could see the look on his race..You should add a couple more mods since everything is inexpensive for your car... So are u going to the SD/Steelers game on the 8th?? Cuz i have tickets and i am definelty going to tailgate(wasted) and watch your steelers loose:-D

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
SCM3 said:
Yes i know..im at the end of the road...If i boost anymore i put my motor in jeapody. So my next setup is a built motor with lower comprression...Edging out an M5 is a great kill...i wish i could see the look on his race..You should add a couple more mods since everything is inexpensive for your car... So are u going to the SD/Steelers game on the 8th?? Cuz i have tickets and i am definelty going to tailgate(wasted) and watch your steelers loose:-D

You have headers on your car?

SCM3

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Do you know what mods the car had that you drove? I thought the same about the M3 when I drove it. While the gearing is not as short as say an STI, it definately felt shorter than the Cobra.

Stock for stock by the looks of the gearing, the M3 would be a gear higher than a Cobra and the end of the 1\4.

Ashley

I do not...i was looking to buy a cobra because they are so cost-effective to mod. I still would like to drive one with a tune, maybe pulley upgrade but i dont have any friends in the area with a modded cobra. Yeah STi is terrible.. It appears that way...i dunno, i love my gearing and redline, its a lethal combo for me anyways..

Users who are viewing this thread