03 cobra vs ls1 trans am

tv's 03

Established Member
I was heading back from the mall on the highway and I see a black trans am up ahead. I catch up and pass him slowly. He throws a rev and its on. Again, I have no way of knowing his mods, but this one at least had a cat back (loud). We were rolling at 65 mph and I went to third gear. I starting pulling pretty quickly gaining two cars letting off before needing to shift to 4th and then I tap the brakes. He took the same exit I take home and we go from 45 mpg and I go to second. I give him the jump and my car started spinning the tires and getting sideways. I see his tailpipes blowing some dark grayish smoke. I just stay in it and the car hooks and gains ground back and shortly through third I had him beat

I don't know whats going on with the smoke? Bad rings? a tired wore out Ls1?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Good kill.

Funny the same thing happened to me with a Trans Am a few weeks back. We were running up the road, I was behind him and poof all this smoke starts pouring out of his exhaust. Worn pistons I supose, burning oil, maybe water, who knows.

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
Good kill.

Funny the same thing happened to me with a Trans Am a few weeks back. We were running up the road, I was behind him and poof all this smoke starts pouring out of his exhaust. Worn pistons I supose, burning oil, maybe water, who knows.

No cats maybe? :shrug: Mine is nasty without them. You will get that gray smoke without them because it will be rich.

Good Kill.

Last edited:

tv's 03

Established Member
It seemed to come out both when he downshifted, when he would let off and when he initially punched it. After he was in WOT for a couple of seconds it did not seem as bad....

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
This thread is bullshit. There is no way in hell you beat a LS1. They're unbeatable... everyone knows that!

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
tv's 03 said:
It seemed to come out both when he downshifted, when he would let off and when he initially punched it. After he was in WOT for a couple of seconds it did not seem as bad....
Sounds like no cats.

Zentenk

Established Member
I have no cats and usually smoke will shoot out with the initial punch and the let off to shift... or let off from reving. I'm going to use some Seafoam and see if that will help some and also get a tune to make sure I'm not running too rich.

tv's 03

Established Member
ur bittn said:
Good kill! nothing better than goin into 3rd at 65 :thumbsup:

Sure there is, going to third at 80 mph... ;-)

Oh yea, he was not the only one not running cats.... :rockon:

Last edited:

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
No cats is awesome! Is your car pretty loud? Mine is border line too loud, I have MAC mid lenghts no cats and 3 inch out the back.

Last edited:

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
3rd at 65mph? what RPM did that through the car into?

I also had a Trans Am do a ricer type flyby on me on the freeway. And also when he shifted there was black smoke everywhere, he had what look to be stock mufflers. I really wasnt paying attention and didnt expect when I passed him in traffic he never looked twice at me. Didnt notice him until he road my ass for a few seconds. Well I was in 5th when he flew by me so just stopped on it without thinking to down shift. With his head start in prb 4th I never gained anything on him he was too far ahead after I reacted way to late. Wish he would have pulled next to me instead of falling 2 cars behind and taking off outta nowhere so I could have ran even. Whats the HP on a Trans Am with the LS1? 320-325hp?

Last edited:

tv's 03

Established Member
65 in third is around 4000 rpm. Trans ams could be anywhere in power depending on mods. But stock they have about 300 rwhp and were rated at 310 I think

Users who are viewing this thread