03 Cobra vs. C5 Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrickStang37

Established Member
Not that much of a race. Driving home on the highway (monterey rd.), a C5 Z06 pulled next to me and goosed it some and then downshifted. So I downshifted to second too and waited for his move. I gave him the jump (tho Im not sure if he floored it right away, I might have actually gone WOT just barely before him). It started about 30 mph in second and by the end of second I had a car on him and then he either missed a shift or just gave up. He didnt get next to me after that, I was hoping for another, cleaner run with more clear cut results. Most of my pull in second might have been the rwtq difference, there's a good chance I would have stopped pulling or maybe just put another 1/2 car to about 110 or something. Those cars are said to trap 115-117 stock, pretty much in the range im in now. I guess I'll never know.

BTW it was probably stock. Sounded a little loud, might have had a catback but im not sure how loud those years really are. For sure didnt have a cutout and still had cats by the sound of it. It was black and even had dealer plates out back.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Nice run. Just to let you know, even the C5Z06's trapped 120+ in the 1/4 with a good driver. In this case, you beat the driver,not the car.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
120+mph stock...are you kidding me?

x2.

OP, Good kill...the best traps I've seen were 117~118mph and they were on cars that went high 11s stock (very rare, and done at sea level tracks with great DA)...most guys who can drive see 114~116mph traps, only the 'greats' like Ranger see rediculous traps above that. I am sure he let off because it was about to get ugly for him. :coolman:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Here, read some of the responses.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f8/whats-fastest-stock-z06-1-4-mile-time-87461/

118 is more then enough to beat your 115-116 car trap. How the **** does a C6Z06 that does not have way more power trap 125+ in the 1/4? The they weigh 3115 lbs, have about 425 HP. The C6 Z06 weighs approx. 3150, and has 505 HP. Yet, they are able to run low-mid 11's, and trap way higher? Does not seem right.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member

118 is more then enough to beat your 115-116 car trap. How the **** does a C6Z06 that does not have way more power trap 125+ in the 1/4? The they weigh 3115 lbs, have about 425 HP. The C6 Z06 weighs approx. 3150, and has 505 HP. Yet, they are able to run low-mid 11's, and trap way higher? Does not seem right.

c5z06 have 405hp (at the crank), not 425, so yes another 100hp is good for 8+mph in that range in the 1/4 mile.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
Wikipedia says otherwise. In actuality they are underrated...

that may be true, but so are the c6z06's. I've seen in person a stock c6z06 dyno at 486rwhp. I don't think its only losing 19hp through the drivetrain.

*edit to add*
I used to trap 105mph then I added 100shot of nitrous and was trapping 114mph, took that off and went procharger and now trap 120+mph. In this range of the 1/4mile it's not as hard to pick up MPH.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I just used that as an example.

24 FYI.

I love how 99% of the guys here quote drag times, and beat Z06's from rolls. Especially in their powerband. Everyone underestimates Vettes. Top end is always greater then a cobra.

Last edited:

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
I love how 99% of the guys here quote drag times, and beat Z06's from rolls. Especially in their powerband. Everyone underestimates Vettes. Top end is always greater then a cobra.

I do believe you were the first one to do so in this thread:

Nice run. Just to let you know, even the C5Z06's trapped 120+ in the 1/4 with a good driver. In this case, you beat the driver,not the car.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I did not quote dragtimes.... Either way, from a roll, racing a car with similar power, and 500+ lbs of less weight, and way more aero, and so much better top end capability. It takes serious power to beat a Z06, whether it is a C5 or C6 from a roll. 496 WHP is not huge power. I've beat LS3's from digs, up to a certain MPH, but I know if the driver did not give up, and kept going, eventually he would pass. Now, from a roll, they move like bat's out of hell.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member

Actually, the question is: Did YOU read the responses?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by My1stZ
My personal best so far is 12.2 at 120.1 with a 2.05 60'. That is 100% stock, including air filter and air box in place. I'm sure with a better 60' on a well prepped track mid/high 11's would not be hard to get.

BTW, car put down 352/350 on a dyno.

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by Robz
Is that on the stock f1 tires. If so, then you have the highest recorded trap speed ever on a bone stock Zo6.

NOW you come back with 118 instead of 120+. Six years ago, when you were 18 (if you're being truthful), we went through this over and over and over. Evan Smith ran something close to 12.4x @ 115 (MM&FF) in a showroom stock '03 Cobra in ideal conditions and the GM mag ran 11.97 @ 118 in an '02 Z06. Many mileages have varied, since then. Properly pullied Terminators rarely have problems with stock C5 Z06s, tires and conditions being equal. Please do your research *before* you post. Thank you.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Someone pointed out 118, I was going with the flow. Put it this way, when a cobra is in third, what gear is a vette in? Still going through second gear? Try not to talk down to me because of my age. I go by real track times, I've seen, not only magazines, like MM&FF..... Point being, this guy says he traps around 115ish. Trap speeds take effect in rolls, in case you did not know. ET's take place from a dead stop, or in your terms, from digs. So, if a car traps higher, and the person can drive, no reason a vette should lose to a pullied cobra from a roll, and get passed up. I understand weight has less of an effect from a roll, but 500 lbs is not a little amount of weight. Read more into physics please. That's like saying a fat guy can outrun a skinny guy after they've been running. Doesn't make any damn sense. Good kill, you deserve mad props. Even though you only beat the driver.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
I have beat 3 C5Z06s by a couple car lengths from rolls ranging from 30~60. I do not know if they had any mods or not... they were probably stock. But they were clean kills. However I know the C6Z will rape me....

jlauth

Established Member
This have been discussed on this forum before. There is also a race that went down between a stock Z06 and a pullied vert. It was posted a few weeks ago, and was going on for weeks prior to its posting. I will try to find it.

The outcome is Cobra over Z06 in all races.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I do believe it is possible. However, with equal drivers, less weight in favor of the vette, close to 500 lbs, way more aero, and somewhat similar power, it would be a tough match.

It is always good to beat a vette, just to know that your less expensive car ,handed the vette it's ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread