03 COBRA vs C5 Vett

1Yellow03

Established Member
Well how do we always start these stories? Ok - well there I was stopped at this traffic light, when I see a beautiful red C5 Vett turn and head in the direction that I am heading. The Vett took off pretty fast. So I said to myself that he just mite want to play! The Vett had gone about a mile ahead of me, but I made up the distance quickly after the light changed. I really wanted this run, because although I live in Florida and there are lots of Vetts around but most are owned by older guys that just want to cruse and look cool, and that is ok with me .
But there was something different about this driver. As I got closer I notice to things, the windows were tinted, and the exhaust tips on the catback. The exhaust sound was not that of a stock C5, I could hear it over the sound of my magnaflows. As I was closing the gap, the next traffic light turn red. This is when I was able to get next to the Vett. I gave him a friendly rev. My windows are not tinted yet so I know that the driver was looking at me, but I could not see him (her). The Vett did not rev me back, so I was not sure if it was going to go when the light turn green. The road ahead was clear. I did a quick check to make sure the traction control was off, a/c off. The light turn green the Vett moved off at a normal speed, and so did I. And that is when the seconds turned into what seem like minuets. I notice the sound of the exhaust first, and then the front of the Vett lift. It took me a second to respond in like manner. We started on the roll at about 15 mph. The Vett had a half car on me and was getting grate traction. As for me I was trying to slip the clutch and make sure not to spend the tires. This was my first Vett run, and I did not want to mess it up. The F1’s let go and I started to spend! The Vett move to ¾ cars ahead of me. I held first to long and hit the rev limit and the Vett move to 1 car. I went to second and started to get traction, and started to pull hard on the Vett. 3rd gear I had made up the 1 car lead. From 3rd to 4th I was ahead by one and a half cars and still pulling more. I don’t know how fast we were going, I just know I was more than two cars ahead when we shut them down. This was my first run with a C5. I learn something tonight. If this had been a Z06 Vett, I don’t know if I could have made up the difference. I need to get drag radials, so that I will be ready for the next run. (with a Z06) My cars mods are Billet flow throttle body, Diablo chip, magnaflows catback, 2.93 pulley, and an AR cai. My dyno was 455.4 rwhp. The Vett driver sounded his horn and made a u-turn.:D

JMD0346

Established Member
Racing your car with no DR's is almost a waste. Get some tires and drive good and you wont have problems with a Z06.

Good kill. I cant buy a race with a vette. My buddy has an 03 with the same mods as me except a 2.76 ( He still made less hp, but more tq than me). Hes raced a couple c5's and one Z. He's beat all of them pretty good.

1Yellow03

Established Member
I want to get some Nittos, but I hear that they are not good in the rain
and it rains a lot here. Any body have any comments on this?

florida03

Banned
Most everyone with Nittos say that
they are decent in the rain, some say
there great in the rain. I usually dont drive
the Cobra in the slop but down here in the deep
south It WILL find you. Anyways when I pull the trigger
with the 2.8 and predator gonna get the Nittos.
I have mild mods and I allways feel the F1 are on the
brink of breaking loose. so I can imagine what an extra
5 pounds will do.

By the way GOOD KILL!!!!!

Last edited:

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
Goood kill. Get some meat on that car and u shouldnt have a problem. As far as the nitto i love mine. I drive all the time on them w/ no problem. And in the rain just be smart dnt drive like an azz and youll be ok.

MPM20

Established Member
i love nittos in the rain. its the bfg's that are the problem. just get a set of slicks for when its dry and bfg's for the street, and another car for the rain.my .02

1Yellow03

Established Member
I was at the Mustang watering hole last nite and someone said that this vett that I ran the other night mite have been spraying. Any one ever run a C5 that was spraying?

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
i know a guy in Plano that has a NX Vette. I have never run him because I dont want to get embarrased. But he pulled something like 425 RWHP on the spray and NX is his ONLY mod. I know N/A Z06's with over 500.

porshh951

Established Member
vanride what are you worried about you pulled a c5 on the freeway no problem right...lol.....
do you know who this is??

fyi-i am just giving you a hard time

porshh951

Established Member
im not giving vanride a hard time....but it just didnt add up after we raced.....i mean i pulled the hell outta him....even when we were goofing off while we were watching my friend race this wagon on the freeway.....and i tell you what....vette's give me a hard time on the freeway......i raced a basically bone stock z06(well he had exhaust) and i only had a car on him to 125mph....and that was from a 60mph punch with me break boosting!! when i was stock...i had a ls1 c5 pull me bad on the freeway.....now luckly with my boost turned up its only the ls6's that i really worry about......well....that is unless its a c5 with a blower!! btw did you guys see that vid....holy shiet that c5 could move.:eek:

Last edited:

1Yellow03

Established Member
SINCE STARTING THIS THREAD I AM NOW LOOKING FOR NEW TIRES. SHOULD I GET BFG'S OR NITTOS? WHAT IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET THE BEST PRICE? THANKS FOR POSTING!!!

Users who are viewing this thread