03 cobra vs 300zx

cah41

Established Member
No big deal, but I thought I'd share.

On my way back south after a weekend away, I am cruising along in the fast lane behind a line of people who think that the left lane is for sitting in and clogging traffic flow, when the rear of a car in the right lane up ahead catches my eye. I can tell it looks like the back of a 300zx from a ways, and as my lane slowly passes and it gets closer I can see it has at least exhaust, is lowered, and has aftermarket wheels.

As we start to pass, I slow juuuust a bit and give a brief glance over my mostly open passenger window to see two early 20's-something kids looking over. The passenger has a camera already up and ready, and is looking through the viewfinder; the driver gives me a thumbs up as he looks at the cobra. I nod in return. We start to slowly coast down in speed from 80to around 65 or so, when the passenger puts up his index finger and starts to show a 1, then a 2,...I quickly think "alright, why not" (the bottle was open and armed, I was ready to go), quickly downshift to 3rd at around 60-65. When I look back he restarts his countdown--1, 2, 3...I wait a split second, and hear his car come to life, and then I punch it. He drifts fairly quickly back in my peripheral vision as the front of my car elevates slightly and I am pulled back in the seat by the instant torque of the sprayed eaton.

I only run it through the end of third gear and when I see that he has already stopped trying, so I let out and coast. I gave a :thumbsup: out my window to be a good sport. I know he went, and I am certain I heard a blow off valve, but I don't know if he missed a gear or if the instant separation provided by the torque demoralized him. At any rate, he didn't break boost; and it really doesn't matter, because I have no idea what was done to it (I am assuming not much). He didn't come back up to my side again. It was a nice looking car, though--a Z32 as best I can say. Very clean. Hopefully a video will pop up on youtube at some point.

cah41

Established Member
Nice kill.

Thanks.

whatever he said.

Ha.

Yeah, I suppose it's a bit long-winded.

Cliffs: I raced a nice, clean looking 300zx that had at least exhaust and a turbo (no idea if they come with a turbo, and if so what size, etc) from 60-end of 3rd, pulled several car lengths in a short amount of time.

My mods are:

-JLT CAI
-2.70" u/p
-Magnaflow catback w/ Bassani O/R X-pipe
-H&R race springs
-17x9/10.5 chrome 03 replicas with 315 Nitto 555R's on the rear
-NX Express 125 wet shot

Car was tuned at Fastlane in Benson; put down a (rather generous, I thought) 585rwhp, 730rwtq on their dynojet (STD correction). 450/470 off the spray with SAE correction. I was on the spray for this short run.

Last edited:

DVan8504

Established Member
There were NA and TT 300ZXs. Most likely it was a stock or near stock TT 300ZX. They were quick cars back in their day, but wouldn't keep up with a stock Terminator much less one making as much power as you are.

Fry's03SVT

The Demon of Venom
Established Member
An intake/exhaust/chipped 300ZX would be comparable/slightly faster than a stock Terminator.

To be competitive with a pullied on up terminator would require turbo/fuel upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread