03 COBRA VS. 04 ZO6

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
My friend just bought this brand new 04 ZO6, and I had been on him to let me go run it to see how it would do before I modded the cobra, the ZO6 is bone stock with just 850 miles on it and so is my cobra (except the exhaust, I cut the mufflers out to run straight pipes) we find a nice road on the outskirts of town and it’s about ¾ of a mile and then turns a couple a times and even has the quarter marked off. He wanted to go from a 15 mph roll so I agreed. The first run I let him take the jump, and that he did, he immediately took a full car lead through first and I gained half a car through second and third and fourth satyed the same wwe crossed the quarter with him a half a car in front and kept on going to try me a little on the top end but cobra pulled hard and stayed at half a car behind all the way up to 135 mph. I convinced him to run again giving me the jump and he agreed. In first we took off at 15 mph and I had him by a full car through first and second and then the cheap shifter struck again and I almost missed third and by the time I got it in third he made up the lost ground and we crossed the quarter mile mark with him 2 feet ahead of me as per the witnesses. I was very happy with the performance of the cobra and can’t wait till I get my pulley on.
Later
brandon

Steeltwo

Established Member
let your friend at least break his car in before you race him again.

like 2-5k on the clock at LEAST.

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
The '04s come with "Lee Press-on backhair" too.
:D

Is there a performance difference from the '03 to the '04 Z06?

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
Good run! No power changes in 03-04 for the Z06. There is the optional Z16 pkg that has the blue with while and red stripes on a carbon fiber hood. (10lb's less)

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Steeltwo
let your friend at least break his car in before you race him again.

like 2-5k on the clock at LEAST.
Yeah, try it without the SC too.:rolleyes:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Why let him have the jump the first time? I hear that all the time in kill stories. I never give anyone a head start if I can help it, and I damn sure wouldn't give ANY advantage to a ZO6. As you saw, it's too close to be goofing around like that. :D

son of a witch

What #'s are you putting down, A Stock Z06 should be about 1 car at least or at the most 3 or 4 ahead of you. Let him Break it in and get used to the feel of the car, becasue a Z06 should win against a stock cobra... then again I don't know what #'s you are putting down:bash:

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
i am not sure what numbers i am putting down but apparently good ones cause he did not hold back cause the second run he had to work for those couple of feet. as far as giving him the jump, he kinda just took it.
later
brandon

man they are having a ball with this one on ls1.com check it out
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=371534&goto=newpost

TOC

Established Member
Very similar to my own experience.

A few months back, I ran against my friend’s 2002 Z06. He owns an auto repair shop and one of his employees is a Mustang drag racer, who never misses a chance to agitate his boss when it comes to GM products (which is wholly reciprocated).

During one of my visits to his shop, and after much agitating by the Mustang racer, our race date was set. I was frankly a bit reluctant to run him as I fully expected to be spanked (my 03 is stock except for a Magnaflow catted X pipe and cat back).

We ran three times, twice from a standing start, and once from roll. On one run, he jumped me out of the hole and there was no making it up (those cars launch well!). With an even launch, I put about a fender on him in the 1/4-mile.

On the rolling start, I let him gas it first. He pulled about a 1 car length, but what surprised me is that at 120 I started coming around him, and kept on pulling away until I shut down at about 135. I was surprised by this due to what surely must be an aerodynamic advantage the Corvette has over the Mustang body.

I’m not really into that “Ford versus Chevy” thing. However, the next time we run I’ll be running a pulley, chip and different air intake to ensure a more decisive outcome.

Devil Dog

TOYZ, yeah I got some.
Established Member
A ZO6 has a top speed of 170+,compared to a Cobra's 155,so the farther you run you worse you are gonna get beat.

Devil Dog

TOYZ, yeah I got some.
Established Member
So what are you gonna do to overcome the Cobra's drag coefficient?
And what happens when that Cobra gets unstable at higher speeds, the Ford engineers had a reason for that limiter.
:dw:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by Devil Dog
So what are you gonna do to overcome the Cobra's drag coefficient?
And what happens when that Cobra gets unstable at higher speeds, the Ford engineers had a reason for that limiter.
:dw:

the main reason for the limiter is liability!! Believe it or not based on physics, if you lower the car you will improve both drag coefficient as well as stability at higher speeds.:p

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Devil Dog
A ZO6 has a top speed of 170+,compared to a Cobra's 155,so the farther you run you worse you are gonna get beat.

Not really. As a matter of fact from a 60 mile an hour roll it should almost be neck and neck up until the limiter kicks in... Did you think the 03 Cobra was only good for 155?? :lol:

http://www.fast-autos.net/mercedes/03mercedessl600.html

Mercedes gets off on the 155 limiters alot... and you really cant use the drag coefficient arguement there.

My dads Grand National was limited to 124 when he first got it... and yet after changing the chip he's had it up to 160 without flying off the road, and thats a G-body so I know this car is good for more than 155... If its not then somethings not right.

All governors are for is emitions, has nothing to do with wether or not a car can handle high speeds. You do not dump 420hp in a car and an equavalint ammount of torque and combind it with a 6 speed transmission, if you dont think its going to be able to handle high speeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread