'03 Cobra Vs. '03 Z06

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
My buddy just had his car dyno'd so on the way home from that, we had us a little street race. :D

The Z06 has a cam, full exhaust, CAI; my Cobra has a CAI and catback. The Z06 makes 412/390, my Cobra makes 433/402. He had a passenger, I did not. 2nd gear roll to about the top of 3rd, we were dead even. We did this twice and had the same outcome. Very even race. I'd say if he lost the passenger, he'd beat me. But a pulley swap will solve that. :p

Good race, haven't had one in a while... :coolman:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Wease said:
My buddy just had his car dyno'd so on the way home from that, we had us a little street race. :D

The Z06 has a cam, full exhaust, CAI; my Cobra has a CAI and catback. The Z06 makes 412/390, my Cobra makes 433/402. He had a passenger, I did not. 2nd gear roll to about the top of 3rd, we were dead even. We did this twice and had the same outcome. Very even race. I'd say if he lost the passenger, he'd beat me. But a pulley swap will solve that. :p

Good race, haven't had one in a while... :coolman:

No disrespect, but even with a passenger, that Z would put a hurting on you. Your friend probably cannot drive at all, or was having serious issues with traction.

PS: Was your Cobra dynoed on a dynapack, instead of a dyno jet? If not, it is one of the highest HP Cobras with just and intake and exhaust, with no tune or pulley.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Assuming a ~200 lb passenger, it sounds about right. There's what, about a 400# difference between the cars, 3150# vs 3550# ? Add a 200 lb passenger and the difference is now down to 200#. Use the rule of thumb that you need 10 horses to make up for 100 lbs, and the Cobra makes 20 more horses than the Z06, which makes up for 200#. At that point it more or less becomes a drivers race.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
For those that think a Mustang can't handle, C&D ran a GT 500 at Virginia International Raceway. The results?

Z06 ------------ 2:58.2
911 GT3 -------- 3:01.8
C6 w/Z51 ------- 3:03.6
Audi R8 --------- 3:04.6
911 Turbo ------- 3:05.8
GT 500 ---------- 3:05.9

Now, the article did say that the GT 500 rolled so much that they thought it couldn't possibly be intentional, but nonetheless, the car could really hustle around that track.

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/download/lightninglap_results.pdf

Last edited:

ragu1585

Game Over
Established Member
my 03 coupe with me (180) full tank, spare and jack, coilover setup, crate of cleanin supplies was 3860.. sounds like a good race none the less! if ur really puttin 430 with catback and cai, then i cant wait to see what it will do with a lower, upper and port!!

Last edited:

707RIDAH

Established Member
I can't see you pulling a zo6 with those mods unless your buddy could not drive. Good kill rhough

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I ran a 408rwhp 2002 Z06 and crept past him... at the time I was as 440/450 with a Cat-Back/midpipe/CAI/upper and a poor tune.
The thing to remember when comparing the Cobra to an N/A car, specifically a Vette here is that a positive displacement blower is king of torque.
Bare with me here;
You make more torque through the low and mid range... and as you spin the motor that torque is converted to power. Thus your mid range power is going to be higher also. If you look at the productive range of the power band on two cars which both make peak 500rwhp, but one is has a roots blower and one is NA, I think you will find that through the usable power band 4K-6.5K, the blown car will average out to have a higher average horsepower... not just peak. Peak power is only effective if you keep the car at peak, which is not possible without a 30 speed transmission.
All that aside, yes... the Corvette can do more with less power, but he does not have him by just 30rwhp, he has him by more if you take a look at the average horsepower in the usable part of the band, probably more like 60.
Positive displacement blowers have an advantage in the sense that 500rwhp is more when it is made on a positive displacement car... versus a centrifugal or NA car with the same peak power. Because N/A and Centrifugal cars for the most part are not as broad.
Screwed cars are even better because they are broad but also love to spin up... but roots blowers typically make a little more torque down low when you look at two cars of similar peak torque.

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Iamchris said:
I think you will find that through the usable power band 4K-6.5K, the blown car will average out to have a higher average horsepower... not just peak. Peak power is only effective if you keep the car at peak, which is not possible without a 30 speed transmission.

Great post, especially that part. I do know my buddy also has some heavy stereo equipment in it, so maybe with that passenger we were closer to a 200 - 300 difference. :shrug:

He's an average driver, I'd say I'm above average. Many years ago when he had his 99 Trans AM with lid, headers, and catback, I was beating him by about two tenths at the track in my 00 Formula that had just a lid and catback. I've always been able to row the gears well in a race... :banana:

StangJason

Established Member
Nice races but posting an even race on here with all of the trolls you'll continue to here how you'll never beat or tie a Z06 ever again.

You probably held even because of your superior powerband which is much flatter than the Z06s which is very peaky compared to the Cobra's but most trolls don't realize that.

Also once you get your pulley and mass air (you'll probably max yours out) it'll get real ugly for that Z06.

BeNBadRacing

SVT Test Dummy
Established Member
Good runs man. Given the circumstances it was a driver's race and well matched. Looks like there ARE some pretty knowledgeable guys posting here (like Nuke and chris).

More mods...:rockon:

Prey4Me

Another H&C LS1
Established Member
There is no nice way to say this so I'll just say it, sounds like your friend cant drive for shit. With his mods he should be pulling you even with a 200lb passenger. did you guys dyno at the same place? Your car's numbers are pretty high and his seem a little low (depending on his cam/tune). Not throwing the flag, but something is off with this story.

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Prey4Me said:
There is no nice way to say this so I'll just say it, sounds like your friend cant drive for shit. With his mods he should be pulling you even with a 200lb passenger. did you guys dyno at the same place? Your car's numbers are pretty high and his seem a little low (depending on his cam/tune). Not throwing the flag, but something is off with this story.

Well, I just called him and he said was in the race 100%. And are his numbers really that low? He's got a TR224 cam, STOCK heads, full exhaust, and a CAI. And he's at 412/390. According to him and the tuner (who's got a heads/cam/nitrous LS1 SS Camaro), that was about right. He was happy with it. Now, go with a bigger, more aggressive cam and a great set of heads; and it's a different race.

As some have said, don't under estimate that high RPM range ability of the 03/04 Cobra. And as I said before, I'm an excellent driver... :-D

Edit: I mean look at your car. You've got a great set of heads, I'm assuming an agressive cam, true duals, and make 448/434. So if he went with a more agressive cam and those heads, wouldn't it put out close to what you are making? My old LS1 powered Formula made 383/383 with an old C1 cam, true duals, and stock heads... :shrug:

Last edited:

RealQuick

Established Member
Nice race :rolling: Sounds like you would got pulled though if you guys went past 3rd gear. :read:

Prey4Me

Another H&C LS1
Established Member
Wease said:
Well, I just called him and he said was in the race 100%. And are his numbers really that low? He's got a TR224 cam, STOCK heads, full exhaust, and a CAI. And he's at 412/390. According to him and the tuner (who's got a heads/cam/nitrous LS1 SS Camaro), that was about right. He was happy with it. Now, go with a bigger, more aggressive cam and a great set of heads; and it's a different race.

As some have said, don't under estimate that high RPM range ability of the 03/04 Cobra. And as I said before, I'm an excellent driver... :-D

Edit: I mean look at your car. You've got a great set of heads, I'm assuming an agressive cam, true duals, and make 448/434. So if he went with a more agressive cam and those heads, wouldn't it put out close to what you are making? My old LS1 powered Formula made 383/383 with an old C1 cam, true duals, and stock heads... :shrug:
I was wondering about his driving skills mostly, with that cam he should be around where he is. Driver mod FTW, its the most important mod on a car. The cam in my car is actually pretty small, it barely lopes, it just works well with my heads. I thought about getting a bigger cam that loped like hell, but my baby cam makes good power and its very streetable, and it drives like a stock car.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
Prey4Me said:

You do realize you contradict yourself here. His numbers are low...yet with a set of nice heads and a custom cam you top him about 30 rw? Come on now.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
A 224 cam is mild, a Z06 gets about 390 rwhp with intake and exhaust, so the cam added about 20 rwhp -- sounds about right for a mild cam setup. Oh, a C5 Z06 does NOT weigh less than 3100 lbs.

I looked them both up and a C5 Z06 curb weight is 3130 and Cobra is 3660 for a coupe. Given the conditions of extra weight for the Z06, extra horsepower and torque for the Cobra, drivers race is the outcome.

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Nuke61 said:
A 224 cam is mild, a Z06 gets about 390 rwhp with intake and exhaust, so the cam added about 20 rwhp -- sounds about right for a mild cam setup. Oh, a C5 Z06 does NOT weigh less than 3100 lbs.

I looked them both up and a C5 Z06 curb weight is 3130 and Cobra is 3660 for a coupe. Given the conditions of extra weight for the Z06, extra horsepower and torque for the Cobra, drivers race is the outcome.

Yup, you are correct. Driver's race. I really don't know why people get all bent out of shape over this stuff. :lol1:

It's not like I posted up "$50K Z06 With $2K In Mods = $30K Cobra With $500 In Mods" :nono:

Users who are viewing this thread