03 cobra vs. 03 GT

Ohshyyt29582

hold on mildred!
Established Member
A friend of mine has been giving me hell for a while about racing him...

We have had many "attempts" and one of us is busy, or out of town when other one is feeling froggy etc....

We have planned our spot / what race etc..

In an effort to save gas, when I had my car tuned, I had it 3 ways... 6psi for gas / 10psi for playing in town / and 16psi for kill, lol...

My car makes 554/518 on 10psi...

499/ 424 on 6psi... (current boost setting)

Should I change pulleys for the race to win? Opinions needed please.

His car:
03 Terminator- coupe
475/ 517tq (stock eaton)
Stock rear gear
IRS- has lowering springs and lca's
T-56
tires- 17" ET streets 315's (says he spins and hops like nuts)

My car:
03 GT coupe- 499/424tq@ 6psi (intercooled vortech)
Built motor 283ci
3.73's
tires- 18" nitto 555's 305's ( dead hook )
-2 degree pinion angle, upper and lower lca's-
ZERO traction issues from a dig, can launch hard at 2500
built TR3650

Race:

Dig to 120 - best 2 of 3 gets the cash... should I switch pulleys or you think i'm good to go?

Videos with gopro to follow advice, lol...

steadyimpact

Established Member
If your racing for cash I would change pullies just to be safe. If you have no traction issues like you said, you should have the win.

SinisterCobra

Established Member
You should be able to take him on any setting, but I would run the 10psi setting just in case especially with money on the line as stated above! GL to you!

majorownage

yep
Established Member
Tell him you are on the 10 psi pulley, then beat him with the 6psi combo...

Then when he ports/pullies his eaton, turn the boost up to the real 10 psi XDDD

Is that bad?

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Dont hussle your friend, talk to him, agree on a race (psi/speed) and get it done. You should beat him either way if you can drive correctly (and given your lighter, I have no idea what GT's weigh).

2K1 SVT

Established Member
Dont hussle your friend, talk to him, agree on a race (psi/speed) and get it done. You should beat him either way if you can drive correctly (and given your lighter, I have no idea what GT's weigh).

Yeah I don't think that I would run a friend for money. That just doesn't sound like it would end well no matter who wins, especially if your adding a smaller pulley without his knowledge.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Just run him on 6psi. Your gonna beat the hell out of him on that anyway.

I don't think he's much of a driver, because I don't see a pullied cobra spinning the hell out of 315/xx/17 Mickey Thompson et's.... That's a bad ass tire, there's people running way more power than he has with no traction issues.

You've got this race easily if you ask me. How much money is at stake?

swaftom

Established Member
Hey OP, what kind of setup are you running to be able to make about 500 with only 6lbs of boost on an 03 GT?

Ohshyyt29582

hold on mildred!
Established Member
Dinner is at stake.. No actual cash.. But remember you're talkin bout two fat kids here so a lot is at stake, lol..

I wouldn't hustle my friend, no trickery here. I was asking cause I want a fair race, a drivers dig to 120. If I wanted to be a dick, I'd throw on 16psi, throw in some c16 and cut that ass but what's the fun in that? I'll save the look on those faces when mustang week gets here lol.. (Not implying my gt is faster than most cobras/ any cobra) but I've seen a FEW really surprised people, lol

If I run him on 6psi and we both get off to a good start, will his 100ft lb tq advantage not whip ass?

What wins a drag race anyways, torque or power.. I've always understood it that after first gear tq is useless, hp carries u the rest?

Ohshyyt29582

hold on mildred!
Established Member
Car is 283ci, crower cams, 10:0:1 compression / meth injection/ fox lake heads +1mm oversize valves/ anderson powerpipe/ kooks full lenghts/ aftercooled vortech at 6psi.. It has 8psi pully on but due to flow restriction of aftercooler only about 6psi gets in.. And spinnin the engine to 7200 helps.

justinschmidt1

Established Member
To be honest with you I think you will easily beat him on 6psi.

You gotta realize theres a huge weight advantage in the gt vs the cobra.

My GT only makes about 400 to the wheels...it is through a stalled auto but still, ive beaten similar cobras to that, mostly because of my weight advantage I guess.

Raced an 04 cobra making 478 rwhp and 500ish tq. and pretty much walked him bad from a first gear 10 mph roll ( im auto so no shifting = win) and what surpised me is that even from a 55-60 roll, I pulled 1-2 cars by 120.

My car does only weight about 3300 with me in it and his car is probably close to 4k with him in it.

JoeyR

omgwtfhax
Established Member
In the racing world i always say it's All Or Nothing. why not throw the other pulley on just to be on the safe side, and drop him that much quicker? after all we all know the DOHC motors have alot more top-end rape you now kind of power lol.

justinschmidt1

Established Member
In the racing world i always say it's All Or Nothing. why not throw the other pulley on just to be on the safe side, and drop him that much quicker? after all we all know the DOHC motors have alot more top-end rape you now kind of power lol.

Yea...in theory a 4v should outperform on the top end.

But when you factor in the weight and the fact that he is running a heaton vs the 2v running a intercooled vortech, I wouldnt be so sure about the top end of the DOHC at that point.

Seems like those heatons kill top end when theyre blowing lava air into the engine

JoeyR

omgwtfhax
Established Member
that makes sense, but whatever happened to the days of blowing someones doors off for the fun of it? just saying lol if you're gonna win u might as well make as big as gap as possible =]

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
you'll definitely play catch up.. (no power down low) if he can hook up.. and if your on your 6 psi pulley, your not much up on power over him.. unless it's a mile or so race, your not really going to catch up to him that much..

YMMV

Ohshyyt29582

hold on mildred!
Established Member
I run 6psu due to gas prices, and a full 50$ tank lasting me about 180miles.

With the aftercooler box taking away around 2psi due to the air being directed through the heat exchanger inside the cooler box, a 8psi pulley is 6psi. I might see 8psi up top but honestly haven't looked at gauge while doin a 3rd-4th gear pull to see.

And blower is a SQ with gpgraded scroll and impellar... Sacrafices a little low end for the top end blow, about 700rpm... But how many of us ideally start a race below 3500?

I don't wanna just blow his doors off, as I easily could with pulley/fuel swap... He's my friend and its for fun:dinnr and I want it to be a drivers race. Its easy for a horsepower to walk away at a 150hp advantage, I want damn near close power and me to out drive him.

You remember my encounter with a vortech'd 10'SS camaro- when I comes to money- my hoe f*ucks dirty and leaves, lol...

Last edited:

19935.slow

Established Member
Yea...in theory a 4v should outperform on the top end.

But when you factor in the weight and the fact that he is running a heaton vs the 2v running a intercooled vortech, I wouldnt be so sure about the top end of the DOHC at that point.

Seems like those heatons kill top end when theyre blowing lava air into the engine

If the gt spins to 7200 and actually makes power there, then there is no advantage of a 4v's known higher power band. A vortech car that spins that high and make power will give a cobra with similar hp the business once they get out of first gear. If the vortech car launched at 6k plus like it should out of the gate, it would be worse.

Users who are viewing this thread