03 Cobra vs. 03 Cobra Vert

03CobraVertGrey

Screamin Banshee
Established Member
Well, myself and gatorman finally raced. I have a stock 03 other than FIPK and he has a stock 03 other than Magnaflow catback with high flow cat h-pipe.

He pulled away from me pretty good on 2nd gear starts and continued to pull away thru 4th gear. But, I seemed to get him with 1st gear starts at about 20mph and pull away from him until he started to catch up.

The intriguing part is that K&N claims 30 rwhp gain with the FIPK on the 03 Cobra with Dyno charts. Then, Magnaflow claims 20 HP gain with cat back and another couple with the high flow h-pipe. In addition to this, my Vert's curb weight is 115 lbs heavier than the coupe. But, I had a 1/2 tank of gas and he had a full tank. So, assuming gas weighs the same as water = 8.3 lbs per gallon, I had about 65 lbs less weight in gas. This would only put me at about 48 lbs heavier. Insignificant in my mind.:shrug:

Any of you guys like to take a stab at why? I was surprised we were not dead even. We have the same stock Eagle F1's, I have 10K miles and he has 22K. He has the stock paper filter with the filter housing and air silencer still on. I guess it just may be that Cobra's vary from the factory unless you guys can come up with something else.

I know what Tyler, Rick and Marc will say . . . Time for a Whipple! :nono:

Anyway, we both had a lot of fun running our first race

Tylerb59

Established Member
'Verts have more weight in the rear giving you more traction through first.

I've always seen stock vs stock verts pulling better 60' times at the track on street tires.

Once you're out of the hole the distribution of weight means less and then it comes down to overall weight. Looks like he has slightly more power then you while being lighter.

Whipple will solve this problem! :thumbsup:

Hissnhoss

1 Rotation @ A time....
Established Member
I would say it's those high flow cats that pulled away from you along with the lesser weight.

Users who are viewing this thread