03 Cobra to 96 Cobra engine swap?

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
I haven't posted much here, but I have a question that I hope some of you more knowledgable Cobra owners can help me with.

What problems would I encounter trying to install the 03 Cobra engine into a 96 Cobra?

I found a place that is selling 03 Cobra engines for 12K still in the crate from Ford, complete with accessories and wiring harness. That price combined with what I paid for the 96 would be slightly more than 20K. I rather go that route instead of going in the hole 38K for a new Cobra.

Some of the things I've considered are:

Will my stock 96 Hood fit?
Will the 03 engine wiring harness interface with the 96 Chasis?
Are the engine mounts and K-frame mounting locations the same?
Will anything in the engine compartment have to be relocated?
Will the T-45 transmission bellhousing bolt the 03 engine block?
I intend to use my T45 transmission. Its in very good shape.

I know I will need to get an 03 Cobra engine computer. I can't thing of anything else. Did I overlook anything?

Thanks in advance for any input,

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis
...Some of the things I've considered are:

Will my stock 96 Hood fit?
Will the 03 engine wiring harness interface with the 96 Chasis?
Are the engine mounts and K-frame mounting locations the same?
Will anything in the engine compartment have to be relocated?
Will the T-45 transmission bellhousing bolt the 03 engine block?

I suppose I will go first; others will have to chime to correct me. Having owned a Pac Green '97, here are my thoughts:

1) I THINK the hood will work since it bulges in the general area where the SC is.

2) I am unsure about the wiring harness.

3) The engine mounts and K member shouldn't be a problem.

4) I can't think of any relocating that would have to be done in the engine compartment.

5) The T-45 will bolt up to the engine; but I would not put very much confidence in it holding up. I know that several members in here have not had any problems with their T45 on a Vobra. But it is not really built to handle this much HP / TQ.

One thing I did not see on you list of considerations is the fuel system. The '03 has a returnless; the '96 does not. This will take a few $$$ to rectify.

I hope this helps; good luck.

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
Thanks Silver Snake.

I forgot about the fuel system difference. I'll bet the 03 engine has larger injectors and a higher volume pump too?

Wildpony

Established Member
You could call Alternative Auto @ (586)463-0010 and ask them what they had to do. They put one in a 92LX w/an Auto overdrive. They used a diff computer (SpeedPro/FAST), return style fuel lines,etc. I know they started w/a brand new '03 crate motor.. Also you may want to see if they know of a place that sells them for less than $12k. That seems pretty steep IMO.. Good luck .

Peter

Established Member
Midlifecrisis- You are asking for trouble if you do that switch,
if you want to spend that much money wait for the 5 liter
cammer which will be a direct bolt in for your car. Then you
will make 400-425 N/A.

:thumbsup: Peter

97 horse snake

Established Member
damn 12 grand is a lot of money. i mean unless you want to do it for status or enter it in shows, i would definately go another route. especially concidering that you'll have to upgrade a lot of things including tranny that will probably set you back another 2k or so altogether. i would start a new thread asking what everyone would do with $12k to put into their car. i'm sure you'll find another way to spend your money. then again, it's your car, so do what you like. :)

zac

Last edited:

blackLS1

Established Member
Originally posted by Peter
Midlifecrisis- You are asking for trouble if you do that switch,
if you want to spend that much money wait for the 5 liter
cammer which will be a direct bolt in for your car. Then you
will make 400-425 N/A.

:thumbsup: Peter
Thats what I was thinking.What difference are there in a 96 cobra 4.6 and the 03?

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by blackLS1
Thats what I was thinking.What difference are there in a 96 cobra 4.6 and the 03?

Not to speak for "Midlife", but I, personally, find the SN95 bodystyle somewhat more appealing than the 99-up. Don't misunderstand me, I love my 03; I think it is a beautiful car. The smoother lines of the SN95 bodystyle looked fast while sitting still.

It just came to mind, but the 96-98 Snakes are about 10% lighter than the 03; that helps significantly with performance.

Wildpony

Established Member
For $12,000 you could do it this way: (prices are not dead nutz on but hopefully close enough for comparison)

1. Built forged shortblock-$3500
2. Shortened runner intake-$800
3. Vortech w/ 3.1 pulley-$3000-$3500
4. 42 lb inj.- $350
5. L/T headers,2 mufflers&Labor $1000
6. "Built" rear end-(gears,axles,Auburn,etc)$1000
7. DIS 4,Boost a Pump,255 intank&labor $1000
8. Labor for R&R of engine & Tune/chip- Apprx.$1200-$1600

Total:$12,350-$12,750
A little more than $12,000, but that is what the Ford dealer was asking for just the '03 motor. "Mid Life" would have at least a couple thousand in Labor (if he didn't do the work himself). I'm still not sure the T45 wouldn't be a problem..

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member

Thanks for the input guys. I plan on keeping my 96 because I do prefer the body style better. First year for the 4V Mod motor in the Mustang.

I know that the big difference in the 03 4.6 and the 96 4.6 is the 96 has a aluminum block and the 03 has an iron block. I assume the intoduction of the iron block is to handle the SC boost.

I really just wanted to know the technical differences in the installation. I know 12K is alot of money and I could certainly go another route to spend it on other mods, but as I stated, If I did go ahead with the swap, I would only have 20K in the car and the car would be like new!!

97 horse snake

Established Member
plus all the extra money for the fuel system and the tranny that will go south. i believe it was rated to handle 330 ft/lb of tq. i would sell it on ebay or something and buy a tremec tko or a t56. either way i'm jelous and i think you're gonna have one badass car.

97 horse snake

Established Member
plus the couple grand that you're gonna wanna spend right off the bat, because of how easy it is to mod that biatch and hit close to 500rwhp. and suspension and wheels and tires to handle the power. shit, i think you should just give it to me. i'll figure it out. ;-)

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
Originally posted by Wildpony
For $12,000 you could do it this way: (prices are not dead nutz on but hopefully close enough for comparison)

1. Built forged shortblock-$3500
2. Shortened runner intake-$800
3. Vortech w/ 3.1 pulley-$3000-$3500
4. 42 lb inj.- $350
5. L/T headers,2 mufflers&Labor $1000
6. "Built" rear end-(gears,axles,Auburn,etc)$1000
7. DIS 4,Boost a Pump,255 intank&labor $1000
8. Labor for R&R of engine & Tune/chip- Apprx.$1200-$1600

Total:$12,350-$12,750
A little more than $12,000, but that is what the Ford dealer was asking for just the '03 motor. "Mid Life" would have at least a couple thousand in Labor (if he didn't do the work himself). I'm still not sure the T45 wouldn't be a problem..

Oh yes. I would do all the work myself. No labor costs. Just parts.

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
when u buy an engine doesnt come with a tranny ??>>>>>a freind of mine bought an H-22 honda motor (legally) and it came with a tranny....

blackLS1

Established Member
Guys don't get me wrong.I prefer the 96-97 body style.If I was going to own a stang that is what Iwould get.I was just wondering on the differences of the motor.

BlackCobra96

For that kind of money, you can get your engine fully built by SHM that would kill an '03 Cobra's. Forged everything. Check out their website and see what they can do.

97 horse snake

Established Member
Guys don't get me wrong.I prefer the 96-97 body style.If I was going to own a stang that is what Iwould get.I was just wondering on the differences of the motor.

i believe the 03 has an iron block and forged internals. the 96-97 that you like have aluminum blocks and just a forged crank. the rods and pistons are the weak part of our engine. and the compression in the 03 is 8.5:1 and the 96-97 is 9.85:1. oh yeah, and just in case you're completely mustang illiterate, the 03 has a roots blower on top. ;-)

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
Livernois Motorsports is making pretty good power with their N/A 5 Liter Mod Motors. You may want to check that out, I'm sure it would be a lot less hassle and less money. A '03 motor would be sweet in a '96, but it seems like it would end up costing much more than $12K after you get everything else you would need IMO.

-Rick

blackLS1

Established Member
Originally posted by 97 horse snake
i believe the 03 has an iron block and forged internals. the 96-97 that you like have aluminum blocks and just a forged crank. the rods and pistons are the weak part of our engine. and the compression in the 03 is 8.5:1 and the 96-97 is 9.85:1. oh yeah, and just in case you're completely mustang illiterate, the 03 has a roots blower on top. ;-)
Know thy enemy.....Yeah I was aware of the blower.I agree with the guy who suggested SHW.Build a all motor beast.

Users who are viewing this thread