03 cobra to 2011 5.0... NEED ADVICE PLEASE.

please vote.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASPERSVT

BOOST, my anti drug.
Established Member
Well i totaled my 03 cobra :(. Looking to get a new 2011 or used with low miles. Anyone done this, have any regretes or was this a good decision. Please help if possible, dont wanna spend all that money then wish i had another cobra.
Any help will be very much appreciate, i know a decent amout about what cobras can do but know nothing about the 5.0 potential.

Thanks again Jake.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I had an 03 a few cars back. The new 5.0's are basically better cars in every way possible. Much more refined and have no rattles or squeeks, everything just seems to fit tighter. Not to mention the motor that makes more power than an 03/04 only w/o the blower :)

Let me know if we can work a deal btw

JASPERSVT

BOOST, my anti drug.
Established Member
I had an 03 a few cars back. The new 5.0's are basically better cars in every way possible. Much more refined and have no rattles or squeeks, everything just seems to fit tighter. Not to mention the motor that makes more power than an 03/04 only w/o the blower :)

Dont worry 99riocobra, im just waiting on insurance adjustor and ill be PMing you again.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
+1. Had two 03's. Dsg coupe did 526 rwhp and Redford vert pullied and tuned. I wouldn't trade my 11 for either. With a blower only, this car will make more power than the ported eaton 03, more reliably, more comfortably.

ViciousJay

Established Member
honestly if i could have a cobra again i would, i like the gt and its nimble and quick but the cobra is just violent and i love the rattles and form fitting seats more

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
No way in hell i would go back to an SN95 platform mustang over the s197. The new 5.0 will bolt ons will make you just as happy as your 2003 did as far as power is concerned and with the interior upgrades and perks it is just that much better. Get one and don't look back. :thumbsup:

kevinp

Established Member
If you decide on a used 2011 I may be selling my 2011 with a roush blower soon, 5500 miles on it and needs nothing - if you can take driving an auto anyhow :)

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Also, forgot to mention shifter placement. No more reaching and stretching your back to get it into 3rd.

Sounds like a plan!

what do you mean stretching your back to get it into 3rd? On the cobra or in the 5.0? I have a 04' and i can get it into 3rd easily without stretching my back, only extending my arm... Sit closer to the steering wheel. If anything, my 04' is easier to shift than the 12' i have.

In my opinion, the new 5.0's are pretty solid cars, if they had a better trans they would be 100x better. I havent driven my 04' in about 3 months and im starting to miss it a lot, so you could end up missing your cobra. Reguardless the 11' will not dissappoint you. But Theres just something about an 03/04 cobra that just screams dont F**k with me..

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
what do you mean stretching your back to get it into 3rd? On the cobra or in the 5.0? I have a 04' and i can get it into 3rd easily without stretching my back, only extending my arm... Sit closer to the steering wheel. If anything, my 04' is easier to shift than the 12' i have.

In my opinion, the new 5.0's are pretty solid cars, if they had a better trans they would be 100x better. I havent driven my 04' in about 3 months and im starting to miss it a lot, so you could end up missing your cobra. Reguardless the 11' will not dissappoint you. But Theres just something about an 03/04 cobra that just screams dont F**k with me..
In the 99-04's you sit higher and the shifter is closer to the front of the car. Not everyone can just scoot up a little, some of us have longer legs therefore needing to sit a littler further back, therefore having to stretch/lean/whatever when shifting more seriously. Trust me I'm not the only one who's mentioned the 99-04 shifter placement.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Copied and pasted from another thread where someone asked me why I like my 11 better than the 03's I've had. if you wanna look different than just any GT, put the Cs front valence, boss splitter, gt500 rear splitter and a roush or Saleen grill.

More comfortable, rides better, quieter. Less squeaks and rattles (so far). Faster when stock. Shifts better. Shifter isn't as far away from me (I'm 6'2" and for some reason the shifters in older cars seem too far forward). Granted the termis (ive owned 2) are more trustworthy with more boost, this car will make the same power as my ported, catted x, catback, accufab tb'd, custom tuned coupe (526 rwhp) and run much better times. Not to mention that you either have to swap to live axle or completely rebuild the IRS tonmake it work right.

I could prolly come up with more pretty easily, but typing on iPhone isn't easy.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
I do miss my cobra, mainly because it was a lot faster, and the exhaust sounded a lot better, the car just felt mean as hell. I'll tell you though, I don't miss the heavy clutch engagement,(which I heard a twin disc helps) and the overall quality of the car was less. The 5.0 feel's solid, and feels so much better in the turns, even with the solid axle.The sad thing is the new 5.0 has wheel hop too, however; it's much easier to fix. If I could trade someone my coyote engine for an 03/04 cobra engine or a Shelby and install it in mine I would be tempted. I guess I should have bought a new shelby gt500 now that I think of it, if only they weren't so expensive. What I am going to do is put a blower on the 5.0 when I come back from deployment because i just miss the low end torque of my old cobra too much.

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
I drove my friends 5.0 yesterday... Although its a very smooth car, fast, comfortable, and has a few more bells and whistles, I would never take the 5.0 over my Cobra. When your behind the wheel of a Cobra, you can feel that it wants to go. Your behind the wheel of a 400+ hp animal that is looking to tear up the streets your driving on. In my eyes, the 5.0 is much more relaxed and doesnt do the justice a Cobra does.

cmsnake

Established Member
I cant beleive you're really even debating this. The new 5.0 is better in nearly every way. More comfortable, just a quick with bolt-ons or slap a blower on the 5.0 and be just as quick or quicker than your Kb termi, more reliable because its newer, and a fresh up to date style and interior. Not to mention the better mpg and insurance. Being stuck in your ways isnt always good, sometimes change is welcome. Only reason I say that is because most think the termi is God's gift to cars. No doubt an epic car, but times have changed.

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
Not sure, I have nothing bad at all to say about the 2011. My only complaint is the rear end styling which is subjective, other than its one of Fords best all around mustangs ever IMO.
So why are you selling it then?

kevinp

Established Member
So why are you selling it then?

I'm just bored with it, I go through a lot of cars, had it for 6 months so thats about average for me..

I'm not actively trying to sell, just been thinking about it and the best time to sell a car is when someone is looking.

Last edited:

hoofbeat

Established Member
Sold my 03 sb Cobra last Sept.( just didn,t drive it very much) and bought a 2010 Taurus SHO and was happy . This spring i started to look for a 03/04 Cobra again(missed the 03). Took a test drive in a 2011 GT 6 speed and forgot about another Cobra. Ordered a 2012 GT prem. with 6 speed, Brembo brake pkg and 3:55 gears.Car came yesterday way better car then the Cobra almost as fast ,handles better, rides better inter. way nicer ,just a better car in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread