03 Cobra Spliiter

iismet

Established Member
I have been working on adding some areo to my car. I am going to run it next Saturday and am very excited to find out what happens.

I purchased the splitter and rear spoiler from Maier Racing. I did not want to use the Mach1 chin spoiler and the stock Cobra dam is not square enough to offer a good dam against the splitter so we removed the stock dam and considered our options.

I got hold of some very thin ABS and built a dam out of that. I extended it 1/2" for a total height of 3". We bent some 90's out of .050 alum sheet and attached them to the surface the stock dam attached to using rivets. We then attached the new dam to the angles. We added a few small alum struts to the front to assure the dam holds it's shape.

74pd.jpg

boiu.jpg

aatr.jpg

Mocked up against dam - 4.400 from bottom pf splitter to floor.

We are attaching to radiator shroud with Dzus, front of splitter to heat exchanger frame with struts, and fender struts from chassis to back of splitter. I will post pics of this. Am thinking of sealing dam to splitter with tape. I am going to revit some ABS to the inner fender well to shruud the front of the tires. You can see it mocked up.

i28p.jpg

Picked up a lid for a V6 and had it finished.
sfwy.jpg

v0zg.jpg

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Front looks good--better than I thought it would. Any other pics of the rear spoiler?

wheelhopper

Established Member
A friend of mine has been running that exact same rear spoiler on his GT for the past year or so, he'll probably post up. He does not run the struts on it and it has held up just fine. He says it does create some noticeable rear down force.

iismet

Established Member
That is great to hear. We took a couple of hundred pounds out of the car and between that and flashing a tune we can no longer hammer the throttle like we use to.

chr

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
OP, please post pics of where the splitter is supported if you can.

Thanks! :beer:

iismet

Established Member
We ran out of time so we had to shortcut some. We will run it tomorrow and then tweak it a little. It is rigid. The splitter is fastened to the chassis in 5 locations with Dzus. 3 brackets welded to the radiator support. 2 welded to the bottom of the heat exchanger support. We used black silicone to seal the top of the dam to to the bumper cover and the bottom of the dam to the splitter. This will never survive street use.

msog.jpg

qzza.jpg

tb7r.jpg

Would like to try to put the alum bits on the inside but I might just change the rivets to the splitter to buttons and lock threads and paint it it all black but it appears to be plent6y rigid. We will know tomorrow. It sits about 3.5 off the deck. Race ramps and 2x6 and care. :)

hr13.jpg

iismet

Established Member
The results were every thing I hoped for. The back straight at PIR is off camber from turn 9 almost to the braking zone for turn 10. I have never been able to run that section flat out as the car wants to drive off of the road at the apex of 9.

Yesterday I was able to drive on the cone flat out even at the edge of the track. Several times I had red lined 4th before the apex of 9. The car dances a bit, but stays on the road and I was pulling in 5th all the way to the braking zone for turn 10. I thought perhaps maybe my balls had gotten bigger, but my friend was driving the car in a different class and he was by far more relaxed than I have ever seen him driving it and he was red lining 4th on the back straight. Well worth the effort.

I am going to purchase some 80" ramps and if there is clearance I am going to drop the dam and splitter another 1/2". We checked both the spoiler and splitter every time we brought it in and all stayed straight, rigid, and well attached.

The whole setup really caught the eye of quite a few. One guy wanted to know what year it was - LOL!

Next up - stiffer springs and perhaps some more rear bar. I have 375 on the front and 550 on the rear. It feels like we could use more spring. I am wondering if we are not close to bottoming at high speed which is making the wheel rates go nuts. It does it, but it crosses my mind something not good could happen - LOL! I just have to stay relaxed and let it dance, but at least I can keep it on the road.

I am thinking of Maximums Race 2 setup to stiffen it. If any of you have opinions on this please opine.

I just wish we could get some of the push out of the front. We use the throttle a lot to fix it, but I wish we could just get it to roll easier on the front tires.

54 sessions (8 track days) out of the GSD3's - they are done.

x-chr

wheelhopper

Established Member
I would try adding about an additional inch onto your splitter. It may be fine, but it just looks a bit short compared to what I see most cars using. I need to make one for my car and I am going to try to make it adjustable so I can make it go from 2.5" to 4.5".

I think your spring rates are a little soft. I would try a 425/600 or 650 set up. Make sure you make the spring and damper changes before you do anything with the sway bars.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
That is some OUTSTANDING work!!

Not to hijack your thread but here's some more ideas, I've always like aero because it's basically "free".
also FWIW..

DSC_4204.jpg

DSC_4205.jpg

DSC_4203.jpg

DSC_4211_zpsc27a2f6a.jpg

DSC_4212_zps15dfb957.jpg

and..an adjustable wickerbill

DSC_0700_zps6aac5fec.jpg

DSC_0702_zps16f24525.jpg

DSC_0706_zpsea3650b5.jpg

DSC_0711_zps173d2912.jpg

Last edited:

iismet

Established Member
I would try adding about an additional inch onto your splitter. It may be fine, but it just looks a bit short compared to what I see most cars using. I need to make one for my car and I am going to try to make it adjustable so I can make it go from 2.5" to 4.5".

An inch is a lot, but makes complete sense. I just worry about losing my mind and smashing a strip.

I think your spring rates are a little soft. I would try a 425/600 or 650 set up. Make sure you make the spring and damper changes before you do anything with the sway bars.

x

iismet

Established Member
Not to hijack your thread but here's some more ideas, I've always like aero because it's basically "free".
also FWIW..

and..an adjustable wickerbill

DSC_0711_zps173d2912.jpg

Don't worry about that.

I don't think your bill is nearly tall enough. The air has significantly separated from the rear window and is quite turbulent. I'm not sure how much reduction in lift you can get at that height.

My understanding of spoilers is to slow the air to increase pressure thus reducing lift at the same time reducing drag especially from the wake. They cannot actually add down force rather they reduce lift unlike a wing which can actually create down force.

Adding a gurney flap will help to cleanly shape the air as it exits the spoiler.

Cool work - I'm with you - there is much that can be done and except for time is quite inexpensive.

chr

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Don't worry about that.

I don't think your bill is nearly tall enough. The air has significantly separated from the rear window and is quite turbulent. I'm not sure how much reduction in lift you can get at that height.

My understanding of spoilers is to slow the air to increase pressure thus reducing lift at the same time reducing drag especially from the wake. They cannot actually add down force rather they reduce lift unlike a wing which can actually create down force.

Adding a gurney flap will help to cleanly shape the air as it exits the spoiler.

Cool work - I'm with you - there is much that can be done and except for time is quite inexpensive.

chr

You are correct, I later made a piece that was taller, and it was adjustable as well, but i couldn't find pics of that one.

Users who are viewing this thread