03 Cobra Snout Rebuild Info, Supercharger oil, rebuild kits

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
Luckily so far I don't seem to have a problem but knowing where to go if I did is important; so I have some questions about
Snout Rebuilds,
how to,
and what parts to use
and perhaps this could be a place for others to get answers as well

Found this website and it seems to have some of the same parts I have seen people talk about when they have mentioned rebuilding their snouts:
http://www.rollingperformance.com/snoutkits.htm

Standard ball bearings kits

Replace your worn out snout bearings with our OEM replacement ball bearing snout rebuild kits. Each kit includes 2 OEM quality high speed ball bearings, 1 premium nose seal, 1 tube of GM adhesive sealant and 2 bottles of GM [supercharger oil #12345982] oil.

We are offering 2 different seal options, standard Nitrile and high performance Viton. While Nitrile will work just fine, the Viton is more resistant to abrasion and high temperatures as well as less drag. Less drag means less friction and that means less resistance to turn the shaft.

#STDSNOUTKIT-N [itrile] . . . $65.00

#STDSNOUTKIT-V [iton]. . . $75.00

ceramic ball bearing kits

Our ceramic ball bearing snout kits will boost the performance of your supercharger by reducing some of the parasitic loss standard steel ball bearings present which will free up some lost horsepower used to drive your supercharger. Ceramic ball bearings offer 40% less friction and the balls are 60% lighter than steel balls. They are much better suited for high speed applications, and exhibit excellent thermal properties making them perfectly suited for the high rpms and heat generated by the supercharger. In addition, ceramic ball bearings will provide 3 to 5 times longer life. This is the last time you ever rebuild your snout.

Each kit includes 2 ceramic ball bearings, 1 high performance Viton seal, 1 tube of GM adhesive sealant and 2 bottles of GM [supercharger oil #12345982] oil.

#CBBSNOUTKIT . . . $195.00

Also includes a How-to with pics:
http://www.rollingperformance.com/snoutrebuild.htm

Are these good resources?
Any better suggestions?

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
This sounds good:

Our ceramic ball bearing snout kits will boost the performance of your supercharger by reducing some of the parasitic loss standard steel ball bearings present which will free up some lost horsepower used to drive your supercharger. Ceramic ball bearings offer 40% less friction and the balls are 60% lighter than steel balls. They are much better suited for high speed applications, and exhibit excellent thermal properties making them perfectly suited for the high rpms and heat generated by the supercharger. In addition, ceramic ball bearings will provide 3 to 5 times longer life. This is the last time you ever rebuild your snout.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
Good idea on adding the text to the page, less work for additional comments.

I have a friend who has added the Viton seal and was very happy with the outcome, no more leaks. I wonder if some of these same components are added when the blowers are ported (Stiegemeir, Amazon, Lethal, LFP)

Last edited:

- Aj -

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
This sounds good:

This sounds interesting....anyone like Stieg want to chime in?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
SVTkel said:
Anyone know the TQ specs on the snout bolts for the Eaton on a Cobra?

21 or 22lbs. I think! I just put mine back together about 2 months ago and I used 22lbs.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Surprised we haven't gotten more feedback on this since the thread was started last year. Conceptually, it certainly would appear to be a mod that could benefit us since the Eatons require probably 75+/- horsepower to spin. The question is, how much parasitic loss would we be actually eliminating with these high performance bearings?

There certainly hasn't been a big history of snout issues with the 03/04' Eaton M112's and if this mod has merit, it would be practical if Bob S. could offer this as part of the services that Steig provides, especially in conjunction with a port job.

Users who are viewing this thread